Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Evelyn & Munstead Wood?

Well, it has been 8 months and I am almost finished with the portion of my yard that has either been completely overhauled or undergone subtle changes. My backyard garden is the area that has more lively, rich, vibrant colors. It is where Cl. America, Don Juan, Reine Des Violette, Astrid Grafin Von Hardenberg, Westerland, and Sally Holmes reside. I added Carding Mill several weeks ago, and it will reside next to Gertrude Jekyll.

One dilemma in a portion of this area is the space between Golden Celebration and Pink Peace that I feel needs a buffer. I have thought of placing a white rose in the spot but that almost seems, well, safe or boring?? I have also thought of placing a Munstead Wood in the space, as this is the area for lively, vibrant colors, but golden yellow next to red??? I have not become that brave yet, however, M.W. is not red perse�. Young Lycidas was originally supposed to fill the space, but instead it became one of the two roses I have growing in large pots.

I have also searched for something in the pink/apricot tones to place to the left and in front of Don Juan. I have gravitated toward Evelyn???

I continue to be ambivalent about these two roses/spaces and what would be most complimentary or visually appealing. Do you all have any suggestions or do I need to just get off the fence and order Evelyn and Munstead Wood?

Generally I am very decisive, but after 8 months of this maybe I am just tinkered out�.

Any suggestions or prompting would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Comments (23)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My Munstead is often more deep hot pink than red. Would you be okay with a deep hot pink by Pink Peace?

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

I have WS2000 next to GC and I like it. A good bridge rose though is Jubilee Celebration, it is a kind of pink yellow mix and has served me the purpose of splitting yellow and pink well.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I kinda like the bold color of Munstead Wood in between Golden Celebration and Pink Peace, but I'm thinking the height might not work. Munstead Wood is pretty low growing. Maybe Benjamin Britten?

I do believe Evelyn would be a nice color next to Dan Juan; is there something about it that makes you second guess the choice?

Di

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I'd like to try Evelyn myself because it apparently does well in a hot and dry climate, and it seems to be such a beautiful rose. I'd almost have to see MW in person to make a judgment since it has such an unusual color. Do you have companion plants in this area at all? It often helps to buffer colors if there are other plantings in between or in front of them. If you were to choose a "safe" white I'd pick Bolero, which seems to be a really worthwhile rose and very attractive to boot. However, I wouldn't leave it as the only white rose/flower in that area, since that would make it stand out too much.

Ingrid

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kippy, I have not seen Pink Peace in person for several years. I recall it being a medium pink?

Caldonbeck, I like the idea of Jubilee Celebration being placed between the two. I had moved away from J.C. because I read reports that it was not especially heat tolerant. WS2000 is gorgeous, but it seems that M.W. Is favored more by rosarians and is less fussy too, however the mature size has to be considered.

Ratdogheads, I will look up Benjamin Britten. Thank you for the suggestion.

Lynn

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh,

Ratdogheads, regarding Evelyn... I just do not know why I remain ambivalent..... The color of this rose seems to vary but regardless it seems as though it might compliment Don Juan nicely.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid,

I have been looking at Diane's images of Evelyn. You ladies are definitely enablers of rose purchasing! I also read her report and that from others regarding this rose performing well in a hot dry climate. I guess I am still wondering what the dry and hot of my summers will do to this beautiful rose.

I have an iceberg in the area about two roses down. I thought of placing lavender between the two roses but the height just would not be right. This raised bed is rather narrow so it will not accommodate much. I have Bolero growing in my front yard. I am so eager to see and smell its blooms.

I have considered a white with pink edging...but oh my... There's so many, and I am not sure about the visual appeal..

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:31

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Golden yellow next to deep red/purple? Sounds terrific to me--and in fact that is just what I have done--Molineux about 6ft away from Munstead Wood.. Great drama!

By the way, I'm not sure what is going on, but some people have been showing pics of Munstead Wood that is almost a bright pink. My Munstead Wood is never even remotely pink- definitely a dark wine red/purple in my garden.

Kate

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

My first few blooms on my Munsteads were magenta. I have come to expect odd colors of early season blooms, especially on young plants. They became much darker later in the summer, very near the color shown in DA's catalog, but never the purple shade I've seen in some photos on this forum. Maybe soil differences account for that.

A gorgeous white with pink edging is Nicole, very striking when planted next to a white rose!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dublinbay, I like drama too, well for the backyard that is, which is where this rose will be. I had hoped that you would chime in regarding Munstead Wood next to Golden Celebration; thank you.

ratdogheads, I know that the sun can impact the color and I believe there were members who believed that the soil composition does as well. Nicole, Hannah Gordon, Tabrizâ¦. I do not know which one I had in a previous garden, but it was purchased from years ago and was one of my favorites. I would not know what they are selling now, and if it is the one I had; it became 7' tall and very wide, which would be too large for the space. It is definitely worth looking into as I have heard that one of the three stays smaller and is white edged in pink or raspberry pink.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 10:19

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I think Munstead Wood would look fine colorwise next to Golden Celebration, but GC gets so tall, and I don't think MW would be anywhere near GC's height. If you have quite a bit of space to fill, you might try Ascot (grandiflora). It's tall and quite broad, which GC is also. Ascot has similar color to MW. Now I've got you really confused. Here's a pic of Ascot early in the season last year. It's even bigger now. It grows very fast, so you don't have to wait a long time for results. GC can be slow-then it really kicks in. Good luck in choosing. I'm sorry if I confused the issue. Diane

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I have Ascot coming in the spring, can't wait!

The "Nicole" I'm growing is probably Hannah Gordon (purchased from Regan). As I read it, Nicole is short, Hannah is tall. Mine was over 5' in it's 2nd year. I see Edmunds sells both Hannah & Nicole now, so presumably they have the actual short Nicole.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ratdogheads,

I edited my post as now I do not remember from where I purchased my first or second Nicole/Hannah..... My first was about 12 years ago and I think I only ordered from Edmunds, J&P and D.A. At that point. I don't remember when Regan orders began..... Anyhew.... I am going to visit the Edmunds site:)

Dianne Ascot is very pretty. I contemplated a deep purplish pink or r ed originally because I thought it could compliment the gold of GC and naturally look nice next to pink. Thank you for the suggestion. Ascot is one that I am not vey familiar with.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn, Ascot was hybridized by Evers of Tantau who also hybridized your Astrid. I believe Astrid may be rounder and shorter. I don't think their blooms are too different in color, but that could depend on environmental factors. Diane

Original Author
    10 years ago

nanadoll,

I visited HMF and assumed it was the Tantau Ascot but the images really varied. The AGVH point of reference is very helpful. Thank you. I am very partial to trying to create symmetry and balance. Placement of an Ascot in the space would put it, if drawing a diagonal line directly across my yard, facing AGVH. This is my first garden without a Nicole, which would likely look lovely, but I have narrowed it down to Ascot or a white rose as suggested by Ingrid. It is kind of like a go big and for the drama or play it safe. I will likely spend time searching for images of the color combinations ( golden yellow, white, pink, & golden yellow, deep red, pink) to see which is more appealing to me.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have my Golden Celebration between the original bright red Knock Out and the very orange Fragrant Cloud with Hot cocoa at her feet. The variations in color all make each other stand out all the better.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil,

I am not familiar with Hot cocoa, but the orange, red, and yellow color grouping definitely makes sense to me. These colors are not for the faint of heart. My backyard has more of a tropical feel and is subjected to a lot of summer heat, so the colors that tend to work best are rich and vibrant.

The rose in question will be between the pink Pink Peace and Golden Celebration. What would you place between the two?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 23:57

Original Author
    10 years ago

I was playing around with colors, and I found a combo that works for me visually. I am thinking Peace or Chicago Peace, or maybe even a Carding Mill to be placed between Golden Celebration and Pink Peace.

My brain has been a bit fried from re-designing the landscape/yard over the past several months. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 23:54

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

Nightmare isn't it lol. Golden rule though, is that there is none. It doesn't matter if somebody hates yellow and pink next to each other and you like it, be a rebel lol. Re reds and yellows, I like it a lot, I have as I said WS200 and GC then I have Tess of the Durbs (which I don't like that much) next to Darcey Bussell and I have a Heathcliff and St Alban next to one another. Munstead wood looks great next to pinks, I have mine next to Princess Anne.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I like violet-purp. with deep red. As in 'Intrigue' and 'Don Juan'.

Would 'Westerland' work between golden yellow and strong pink?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris_gal,

Funny you wrote intrigue. I was at my local nursery yesterday looking at all of the potted roses. There was a sign for Ebb Tide but all of the roses had been sold. I have yet to see this rose in person, but next to it was Intrigue. I purchased it for the space between G.C. And Pink Peace. I grew this rose in the garden at my last home and really liked the way it held its color during the summer here.

Now I must figure out what to place in front of and next to Don Juan. I saw Tiffany, which is a rose I have liked for years. Tomorrow or Thursday I will be searching for a rose to fill that space.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

The air waves between our brains must have been burning up. 'Intrigue' holds color well here also. And I love how the buds take a week to open. Well ......., I was going to suggest 'Granada' (similar colors to 'Chicago Peace' which I love) for that spot. Never mind.

I bought 'Don Juan' a week ago! I'll move the pot beside 'Intrigue' for a picture if the bloom coincides.

I have seen 'Ebb Tide' in the spring. I think it may combine well with 'Honey Dijon'. I know it looks good with 'Sharifa Asma'. Its a rather deader color than pics I'd seen at that time. After I read how it fades badly in heat decided not to use with 'Heritage'. Hoping 'Don Juan' may work.

Irisgal

Original Author
    10 years ago

I love Don Juan. It is a deep true red in my garden and a blooming machine!! I understand your fear with with Ebb Tide as I cancelled an order then planted Twilight Zone instead.

I did not think of Heritage to be placed near Don Juan. I owned a plant years ago and it did not fair well; could have been where I planted it. It is definitely worth considering. It is reported to handle summer heat okay.

Lynn

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath