Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tandaina

Moving Roses

tandaina
10 years ago

At the end of April I will be moving from Texas to Seattle, Washington. I've got a small collection of roses grown in pots here, and plan to give most of them away since the moving company won't touch them and it'll be too late in the year to bare root them and ship them to myself via mail. (I drive a Mini Cooper and will need to move me and my large dog. Space is at a premium.)

However, I've got two that I just can't give up. One for sentimental reasons, and one that I got during Vintage's going out of business sale that appears to not be available from anyone else.

Both are fortunately small, they started as bands last summer and are still quite manageable. I'm wondering if the best bet is to wrap their pots (one will need to be downsized for the ride) in garbage bags and fit them in behind the car seats? It is a four day drive, I'd need to not have to water them. I'd hope they'd survive such a trip, but any tips on doing it well? At this point we're not sure how soon after we arrive we'd be able to get them into the ground so they might have to go on living in those pots for a while... Thoughts?

It is Texas, so neither are dormant now, so can't bareroot and store them at this point either.

Comments (3)