Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old roses

Posted by bacon2 z9 Fl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 15:13

When do you know that it is time to "retire" a rose? I have a Don Juan that was bought in a body bag 16 years ago. It is not on fortuniana root stock, which is recommended for my area. I get less and less blooms each season, but I guess I still am sentimental about him. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old roses

Probably nematodes have eaten up the root system. Avoiding that is why you should get roses on Fortuniana stock. You can dig it up and see if that's the case.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 16:15

I know how you feel, bacon. It's hard to part with them sometimes. I guess when you get tired of taking care of it for the few blooms you get it's time to get rid of it and replace it with a better one. If you're asking the question it might be that time now. Find one on fort or pick out something new!

o

I don't know where you live in Fl, but check your local nurseries to see if any carry roses from Nelson Fl. Roses. When I lived in central Fl. that's where I got most of my roses. Don Jaun grew like a weed and was covered in beautiful velvet red blooms all the time. Another climber they carry is Spectra. Fantastic climber that needs to be grown more often. Anyway, I think it might be time to replace your old Don Jaun. I think you'll be happy you did.

o

Thanks everyone. Michaelg, you are probably right about the nemetodes. Ken, I live in Jacksonville and bought some roses from Nelson before. I will look into Spectra,I have never had that one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here