Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Carefree Celebration?

Posted by linrose 6b KY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 15:18

I ordered this just because it's supposed to be orange and because it's a Radler rose (Knockout et al.) but I haven't heard anything first hand about it. I'd like to include it in a yellow/apricot/orange bed that already has Carefree Sunshine in it along with Westerland and Jude the Obscure and Pat Austin.

When I placed my orders I kind of went crazy with the yellow/apricot/orange roses this year. I hope I didn't blow it too much.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Carefree Celebration?

I had it last year. It faded to light apricot the next day, not much orange at all. Compared to all the shrubs which bloom a lot nowadays it is a sparce bloomer. Pretty good disease resistance but did get some spots here in the deep South. It may do better where you are.

Patrick

o

Hi, Mine bloomed OK but it didn't get tons of sun. My sister in law had hers in full, full sun and I believe she said hers bloomed great and got huge. Mine wasn't real orange either but it was pretty. Judy

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 17:58

I planted it this time last year - it gets afternoon sun, has grown well and made a big shrub. It blooms all the time for me and I like the apricot color. I just wish the blooms were a bit bigger. Buts its been healthy, green leaves and I may get another. I think you will like it. I would like to hear more reports on it.
Judith

o

This is a beautiful bush, always blooming and disease free, but it is not orange. Mine was more of a coral.

o

I'm reviving this thread because I received my new Carefree Celebration a couple of weeks ago and I'm excited about it! It had two blooms on it when it arrived and its color was an intense orange-coral. It has faded to a light coral but I don't consider it unattractive. Coral is a difficult color to work into a garden so I will place it carefully but I am impressed with how long the blooms last. This baby is now pumping out new buds. It is more double than I expected but, yes, the blooms are rather small. Hopefully if it produces many blooms at a time the effect will be lovely.

This is how it looks now, with the original two week old blooms and new buds coming on. The bud color is exactly like the new bloom color.
Photobucket

o

Livin Easy..great rose..disease hardy and stays orange

o

I had Livin Easy for only one season but it succumbed to the Easter freeze of 07. I liked it though, I might try it again, thanks for reminding me of it.

o

Linrose, who did you order your Carefree Celebration from?
The photo is beautiful.
cindi

o

I will comment again now that my roses are blooming. CC is blooming its head off, I love the color, the leaves are healthy and I like it so much I have purchased another. It has made a huge shrub. I didnt prune it alot this spring......Its only downside is that the blooms are not huge but there are lots of them so the bush is always attractive. Like this one alot!!
Judith

o

I got mine from Chamblees.

o

In WI with too much shade, it blooms beautifully, with lovely coral-orange blossoms!!

o
Carefree Celebration vs other coral rose choices

Hi, Advice appreciated. Trying to select new coral/orange rose for 60 foot planter.I have had great success with landscape rose called Drift in coral in my succulent garden.
they bloom continuously need no care but are not what I want for new planter. Currently have Ficus Repens and Hydrangea in the planter but it is just too sunny for hydrangea.They get leaf burn and I need to move them back to other side of the house where they did well. Roses I am considering are Coral Beauty,Carefree Celebration,Matchless Mother, Grand-Duc Henri, Tintinara, and Memories. I really love a larger blousey type of blooms and the landscape roses are great at a distance but small blooms.The planter is deep and 24 " wide and not enclosed on the bottom for good drainage.I want to be able to cut blooms for the house. Sun & water are no problem but choosing ten of the right roses is the challenge. All advice appreciated.Ficus is out of control as I am trying to espalier it and supports not all in yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here