Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Japanese beetles, an idea

teeandcee
13 years ago

Looking for feedback.

I've noticed JBs congregate on my rose blooms. The leaf damage seems to simply be because the rose blooms attracted them to begin with (bearing in mind they also release scent to attract other beetles once they've arrived) and they then move on to the leaves.

If I remove all blooms in early June do you all think this may cut back on attracting them?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this and try it.

Comments (19)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Some people do this, but if they JBs are really bad, they will devour the leaves too. Harry might post some of his photos as an illustration.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    13 years ago

Spraying Sevin will kill them, but it must be repeated frequently.

Life used to be so much less complicated before Japanese Beetles. It is too bad that there are not better natural controls.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

If you live in a climate congenial to them repeated sprayings of Sevin will encourage the proliferation of spider mites.

• anntn6b
    13 years ago

Trap them before they reproduce. Rather simple even if the ARS doesn't think it works.
    It does work, and when you get a serious drought, that will set them back, as well.

Doing nothing means every female will lay 40 eggs this year. and 20 of those eggs each will lay 40 eggs in 2012.

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

You could always get rid of your lawn.....one of the best breeding grounds for next year's crop of JB's is a well-watered lawn. The worse the grass looks, the better the roses look. Then again, maybe the roses just look good in comparison to the lawn--who knows?

My husband was watering & fertilizing the front yard while allowing the back yard to be the kids' & dog's playground. We had a massive infestation on the roses in the front yard, but not the back yard. I'm fighting a losing battle, but maybe someday I'll eliminate all the lawn and they'll have nowhere to breed. In the meantime, I put lots of birdseed out to attract the only thing that has more fun picking JB's than I do.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

The best way to get rid of the beetles is to drown then in a bucket of soapy water. It kills the beetles and doesn't hurt anything else.

Cutting off the blooms wouldn't work for me. I've got too many things the beetles like to eat. I actually prefer it when they eat the roses since eating rose blooms doesn't hurt the plant much, but when they eat all the leaves off my cherry tree then that hurts my tree. They also like apple leaves.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

We don't have JB's here, but I do hear it said that planting four o'clocks under your roses as a ground cover is a decent natural control for JB's. Apparently, the JB's eat the four o'clocks first, which are toxic to them. I do plant four oclocks under my roses, but more because I like four o'clocks than for any other reason. They stay short here and do not compete with the roses. After the first year, however, they do come up naturally from self-sown seed and tubers. So, once you have four o'clocks, you'll always have four o'clocks. But for me, that's good.

• buford
    13 years ago

The problem with that is that in our heat, the pansies and four o'clocks are dead by the time JBs show up :)

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann, do you mean the traps you hang in your yard? My neighbor and I have used those for the past two years but I wasn't sure whether to continue or not.

Harry's photos could be photos from MY yard.

I checked my notes and JBs showed up at the end of May last year. Yeesh.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Hey Diane,
    Olga is the one who has a good shot of what Japanese Beetles can do to rose foliage. It can be viewed on the other current beetle thread.

This is the best I can offer:

{{gwi:224808}}

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, I'll match that pic with one of my own this summer if my Beetle Death Plans don't work well. Ugh, disgusting!

I'm surprised birds eat them. I'll definitely be putting out feeders this year along with another bird bath.

• anntn6b
    13 years ago

The traps are what we use. And our first beetle date is June 7, every year.

A friend did keep ducks for a while and when she'd call the ducks over to her New Dawn, they'd come a'quackin' because they devoured with gusto the Japanese Beetles she'd knock off New Dawn after the sun set and the Beetles lost their get up and go. (So now you know a possible reason why duck eggs smell different.)

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ewww, lol. No duck eggs for me, thank you.

Last year I spilled a full trap in the backyard. I just left the beetles there until I could decide what to do once my gagging stopped. Later that day I looked out to find my dogs gobbling them up.

Why that's so disgusting with dogs and not birds I do not know.

13 years ago

Dogs love the crunch and that great nutty flavor!

13 years ago

Makes for some hearty soup:

{{gwi:229490}}

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AAAAA! That's disgusting! I'm generally not squeamish about bugs or snakes or anything like that, but JBs give me the heebie jeebies in a fingernails-on-chalkboard way.

Is that PVC tied to the bucket? Is that a homemade trap of some sort?

13 years ago

That was my homemade trap made with a piece of PVC over a bucket of water. I attached the yellow top and scent sticker to the pipe and it worked like a charm. When the beetles were heavy, I could fill one of those black bags in an afternoon. At empty time, the little b@*^%#!'s were still alive and I had to dump them in water anyway. So I decided to skip the bag.

I only used it for one year because the beetles have not been present the last few years.

{{gwi:229491}}

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

That's interesting that you have not seen beetles the last couple of years, Harry. Do you see them in other places in your area? Beetle numbers were way down here the last couple of years too. I wondered if it was drought or some natural predator or illness. I read somewhere that squashing beetles causes them to release a pheromone that attracts other beetles.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

According to one of the entomologists at the UW here, the japanese beetle numbers have a tendency to rise for about 10 years and then go down again. They aren't sure why. It might have something to do with natural diseases catching up to them when their population peaks. Unfortunately, they're only about year 4 or 5 in my area so we have a ton.