Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparing scents of roses

Posted by zone6-nj 6A/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 16:36

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well with you guys. Over here on the east coast, this is our third snow storm this week, and we are expecting a fourth on Sunday. Crazy weather! Stay warm.

One thing I do find interesting is being able to compare one rose scent to another, for example for those that have 'Radio Times' - do you have any roses that smell similar to this? How about 'jude the obscure'?

I'm curious about 'bishops castle' since it's on my spring order list. Many people rave about the fragrance, but would you say its similar to any other rose in scent?

Just interested to see if you know of any two roses that smell somewhat similar, austins in particular. I know all scents are different but if you found somewhat of a similarity I would like to hear about it.

Take care,

Drew

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 16:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparing scents of roses

I'm sure there will be those who disagree with me on this, since how we react to different scents varies from person to person, but here goes. I think the following roses smell very much alike. In ascending order of strength: Eglantyne, Brother Cadfael, Evelyn, Frederic Mistral. Munstead Wood fits into the previous group, but is so new to me that I'm still not sure just where it fits in this order of strength. I have other roses with lovely scents, including Jude, but they don't seem to fit into a group. Diane

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 9:59

I'm terrible at scents. I can smell them but couldn't describe them to save my soul, lol! I only know what I like and don't like. For me Reine des Violettes is my very most favorite scent of all. It's glorious and strong and wafts across the yard on warm breezy days. Next would probably be Golden Celebration because it's vary tall and the blooms are up high and hang down over the side walk so the fragrance drifts down to you from above. Wonderful! Coming in at third is Double Delight. It always reminds me of my Mom because she bought it and loved it and used to cut them to bring inside. That's the thing about fragrance. It's so subjective and tied to so many things like memories.

o

Thanks for the replies!

Diane - so Frederick mistral is the most scented from all of the ones you mentioned? Even more than BC? Wow I'm happy that's on my spring order! And I get a similarity between evelyn and jude the obscure, I don't know why!
How's FM as a rose?

Sell - you're right, you can relate many scents to a memory. Probably why I favor more over some. I love the fragrance of golden celebration, but I have to say the only fragrance that really caught my attention was Jude, evelyn and Sharifa Asma.

I have gertrude, but I only got one bloom off of her from a gallon sized plant last leat, so I'm hoping it gets stronger with time, the bloom was smaller and smelled nice but wasn't as strong as I read about. Hope that changes in the spring.

Drew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here