Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

Comparing scents of roses

zone6-nj
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well with you guys. Over here on the east coast, this is our third snow storm this week, and we are expecting a fourth on Sunday. Crazy weather! Stay warm.

One thing I do find interesting is being able to compare one rose scent to another, for example for those that have 'Radio Times' - do you have any roses that smell similar to this? How about 'jude the obscure'?

I'm curious about 'bishops castle' since it's on my spring order list. Many people rave about the fragrance, but would you say its similar to any other rose in scent?

Just interested to see if you know of any two roses that smell somewhat similar, austins in particular. I know all scents are different but if you found somewhat of a similarity I would like to hear about it.

Take care,

Drew

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 16:37

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm terrible at scents. I can smell them but couldn't describe them to save my soul, lol! I only know what I like and don't like. For me Reine des Violettes is my very most favorite scent of all. It's glorious and strong and wafts across the yard on warm breezy days. Next would probably be Golden Celebration because it's vary tall and the blooms are up high and hang down over the side walk so the fragrance drifts down to you from above. Wonderful! Coming in at third is Double Delight. It always reminds me of my Mom because she bought it and loved it and used to cut them to bring inside. That's the thing about fragrance. It's so subjective and tied to so many things like memories.

• zone6-nj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Diane - so Frederick mistral is the most scented from all of the ones you mentioned? Even more than BC? Wow I'm happy that's on my spring order! And I get a similarity between evelyn and jude the obscure, I don't know why!
    How's FM as a rose?

Sell - you're right, you can relate many scents to a memory. Probably why I favor more over some. I love the fragrance of golden celebration, but I have to say the only fragrance that really caught my attention was Jude, evelyn and Sharifa Asma.

I have gertrude, but I only got one bloom off of her from a gallon sized plant last leat, so I'm hoping it gets stronger with time, the bloom was smaller and smelled nice but wasn't as strong as I read about. Hope that changes in the spring.

Drew

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I find many of the Myrrh scents of DA roses are very similar (which I don't like). I agree there is a similarity between Munstead Wood and Frederic Mistral, but I find Evelyn quite different to my nose. Happy Child and Freisia smell similar at times. Papa Meilland, Firefighter and Barbra Streisand can smell very similar and totally delicious. Ebb tide and Crimson Glory are sometimes similar as well. I love the smell of Felicia. Is there another rose that smells like it?

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    8 years ago

Windermere is the only rose that I've smelled that smells anything like Jude. Not as strong though. I think that the hybrid tea Tiffany smells like Radio Times. I haven't been very impressed with the fragrance of Bishop's Castle. I would say mild to moderate at best without much to distinguish it. I'd compare it to Peace. The Clement rose Tranquility smells like Marie Pavie to me, but it's new so that may change.

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

I don't think I have two roses that smell alike in my garden. They all seem to have their own signature scent. Oklahoma (HT) has the strongest scent, followed by Mr. Lincoln. And both are very "rose" scented, heady and strong. Jude The Obscure has what is probably my favorite scent. Its not so much rose as it is just pleasant, fruity and strong. Sheila's Perfume is another one that has a very specific scent that is not similar to any other rose. Its just a sweet lovely scent. Somewhat perfumey, but light and sweet.

When it comes to Ausitns, however, the only roses that I find have "similar" scent are the ones that have what they call Myrrh fragrance. All those Myrrh ones smell the same to me and those include Wollerton Old Hall, Fair Bianca, St. Cecelia, Glamis Castle, and even Dames De Chennonceau that is not an Austin has that myrrh scent (albeit slightly sweeter).

I've always wondered about roses that are described as having a "damask" fragrance. I have no idea what that smells like. I know what the myrrh scent is because its so distinct. My first English rose was St. Cecilia and when I smelled it i was taken aback because I had never smelled anything of the sort, especially in a rose. Its just a scent you don't forget. Not a particularly pleasant one (I remember feeling disappointed it the smell), but I've actually learned to like it now. It grew on me somehow. I guess I associate it with roses and I love roses so much that it makes a happy connection some how.

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

I hope to fill my rose garden with highly fragrant roses. I have several rose bushes, but my fragrant ones are Intrigue, Tiffany, Double Delight, Dark Desire, Abe Darby, Blue For You, Sheila's Prfume, and Fragrant Cloud all of which I love. But the two that I love the most in smell alone is Sharifa Asma and Quiteness. Both of these are also beautiful, but I can't get enough of the smell. I can just stand in the garden and feel intoxicated. They are wonderful. However, SA isn't doing so well, as some kind of root mats is over taking it. I hope to find another.

I bought most of my roses (before Cool Roses had their sale) either online, or as a bare root plant from a box store. In my stupidity I didn't realize that all roses didn't smell the same. I thought a rose had a rose fragrance. But the day that I opened up my shipment from Chamblee's and Sharifa Asma had a tiny little bloom that engulfed the entire room.... I said I need to be paying more attention to the fragrance. I was so happy to find Cool Roses so that now I can get a 'whiff' before I purchase. I think it is imperative because I had my eye on a couple that I thought I would love only to find out that I didn't like how they smelled. Just like some people don't like the Myrrh scent I found out that I abhor the Tea scent.

Now I need to figure out what Damask smells like.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

To my nose Tiffany's fragrance has the same note as Munstead Wood and Frederic Mistral. Crimson Glory smells somewhere between Ebb Tide and Fragrant Cloud, sort of Ebb Tide with an additional anise note.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Got my first bloom of Felicia, the scent is similar to Savannah.

The "soapy scent" of Jacques Cartier is similar to Comte de Chambord, but I prefer Comte better since it has a bit of musk for wafting across the yard. Duchess de Rohan is even sweeter than both Jacques Cartier and Comte. Below is my most fav. old garden rose scent: Duchess de Rohan, but she doesn't repeat often like Comte. Duchess de rohan (deep pink) next to Evelyn (peachy pink):

Below is Comte de Chambord, pic. taken this June:

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 your pic of DdR and Evelyn is really pretty.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw -thanks for bringing this thread back up. :) I love, love your CdC rose bloom!!! And your first picture has an abundance of blooms!! Such a beautiful picture!

I'm trying to think of roses that smell similar...but I can't remember properly to do this. Such is life.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH