Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Need help with this area

ratdogheads z5b NH
10 years ago

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what to plant here as a replacement for my Cinco de Mayo. Could folks please give me some ideas? CdM is moving because it wants to grow taller than this space allows. See how the windows open outward - I need something that will stay lower than those windows. Also I never liked the color combination. The climber is Purple Splash and it's maddeningly hard to coordinate.

This is a southern wall and purple roses that have occupied this area tend to fry. There is no gutter on the two story roof, so I need to stay mostly behind the drip line (marked by the stone border).

Re-bloom is important, fragrance would be nice! I'm in zone 5, but I'd call this sunny protected area a 6. I do spray for BS when needed.

Thanks in advance for the inspiration!

Comments (8)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Carpet or drift roses would stay short. Also some minis and polyanthas are smaller bushes. With Purple Splash you could go with something white or cream colored. Softee is a great little mini that blooms like crazy for me.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Your Purple Splash climber is gorgeous and looks so well positioned by the windows. I have purple all over my flower beds, both roses and perennials, and my favorite color with purple is yellow. So I'd recomment and outstanding small yellow called Bernstein-Rose--but it's hard to get, though. I have had three of these roses for about seven years, and they keep under three feet tall. I am also loving my new purple minis, Diamond Eyes from hybridizer Tom Carruth. They should also stay under three feet. They did beautifully in a hot, sunny western exposure last summer, and their purple doesn't fade. Here's a photo of Bernstein-Rose. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's Diamond Eyes. Diane

• Dodie85
    10 years ago

Butterfly bushes, are nice if you dont have one. Ive seen them in purple and yellow.. Blazing stars are pretty to, though perhaps to tall..

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had one of those Eureka! moments this morning as I was looking at photos of this weekend's snow. This is that same area now. Hard to imagine there's color and life hiding under all that white. Anyhow my big revelation was, in looking at the picture with a wider perspective, that the reason I'm having so much trouble coordinating Purple Splash is that Purple Splash is clashing with the whole yard.

In the past couple of years I have filled this side of the yard with soft colors and old fashioned varieties. Alongside that arbor is a Hyde Hall hedge, and I have struggled with what could possibly go on the arbor that could bridge HH's soft pink full blossoms with PS's vibrant striped single blossoms and glossy modern foliage. Problem solved, PS is outta there! Besides, that trellis is no match for such a vigorous climber. PS wants to take over that whole wall, last year it scrambled up to the second story window. I have a two story porch on the other side of the house where it can stretch out in all its flashy glory.

Thanks for the suggestions - it will certainly need some bright companions in its new home.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest taking out CDM and letting PS trellis around the window completely.

But if you are moving it nvm.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have a purple splash that I have to plan what to put in the bed with her. That is one happy rose!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like the idea of framing the whole window, and I think I'll do that with whatever I plant as a replacement. Then I'll tuck some minis along the front.