Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gourmet Popcorn surprise

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:05

About 14 years ago a landscaping contractor put in two short hedges of this rose for us (three plants each). One hedge was in full sun and is still going fine, although it has gottten too tall for where it is (at about 4 1/2 feet it blocks drivers's view of the sidewalk as one is exiting our driveway - we have plans to chop it down to 2 feet).

The other group were in an area that became shadier and shadier, because of the neighbor's privet hedge right next to it, and because of a gigantic Cecile Brunner in our garden at the end of it which was trying to take over the world.

So, the three bushes got taller and taller ( to about 5 ft tall) and very top heavy, and one day a couple of years ago I noticed that two of them had fallen over in winter storms. They fell over towards the light, which was of course the direction in which they had been growing. That whole area was a mess, and I ignored it, other than cutting off the dead growth as I noticed it. Then the third bush fell over. Finally, the giant old Cecile Brunner died, and my DH spent 3 days cutting it up and digging it out. So, after he hauled it away, I was able to get into that area for the first time in years, and pull up the English ivy, which was rampant.

Amazing - all three of the original bushes were just dead stumps. However, where the quite bushy tops of them had touched the ground, they had all rooted, and brand new bushes had emerged. The new rose bushes were about 2 1/2 ft high and 2 ft wide, and look healthy. Two of them were still attached to the dead stumps by long canes. I detached them, and cleaned up around them, and realized that I now had 4 new bushes, not 3 - somehow another one had appeared about 18 inches away from one of them. All four of them are now in much more sun (when I thought about it, I decided that this had been their plan all along), and look happy. I had no idea that Gourmet Popcorn could do that! I think I thought of it as a boring shrub (or miniature, HMF calls it both). Now I find it much more interesting, and I promised the new bushes I would take better care of them!

Jackie

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gourmet Popcorn surprise

Interesting story about Gourmet Popcorn. I had one that got tucked back in a corner and ignored for years! Then last summer, in the middle of a heatwave, I decided to move it--and promptly forgot about it, so there it lay, mostly bareroot and not planted. Memory returned the next day and though I figured it was probably too late, I dumped it in some loose soil, watered it in well--and then promptly forgot it again because it was just too hot to even be outside.

So what did that poor neglected and abused plant do about a month later (all on its own)--put out wonderful green leaves all over the plant and lots of white blooms!

Moral of the story--or of both our stories: Gourmet Popcorn is a SURVIVOR--ONE TOUGH COOKIE!

And quite attractive when it blooms. : )

Kate

o

I'm glad they rooted themselves for you, Jackie, but I'm not surprised. It's a very strongly multiflora rose, from appearance, to scent and shade tolerance. It roots VERY easily and can easily experience chlorosis in heavily alkaline soil. Great rose. Kim

o

Gourmet Popcorn is a great rose. It must look beautiful as a hedge. The white flowers sparkle in the bright shade of my big Jacaranda. It gets the early morning light until 12 and still blooms very well.

o

It makes a spectacular 2' - 3' standard, too. Kim

o

Thank you for the info Kitty!

I need something in a bed under our jacaranda

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:10

What wonderful stories! I love hearing how tough roses can be. And people say they're too fussy and hard to grow, BAH!

o

Very interesting. It's a determined little bush. I got my first GP last spring and really enjoyed it during the summer. After only one year in the ground, I moved it this week to a place where it will get more water. I had to hand water it last year, and since we're in a drought, I'm gearing up for reduced water.

o

I grow one that behaves itself pretty much in its shady spot in my front garden, but it is starting to spread out.

The bees love it!

This post was edited by Petaloid on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here