Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Ribbon, Does it exist?

Posted by NOACCEPTANCE772 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 18:19

Hello you all!(^^)/
So, lately I did buy a "Blue Ribbon" Hybrid tea rose, but I am not sure it will turn out the way it is cause I bought it for �3 only.
Usually, all the bare roots are �13.75 or more so I am kind of suspicious :(
Can anybody post their own photo of this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Ribbon, Does it exist?

The poorer grades of body bag roses can be pretty cheap. And depending where you are located, it might already be late in the season to plant and stores are closing out any stock while they still can. For an non-patient rose, lower grade, end of the season plant, $3 might be right.

Hopefully it is happy and grows well in your garden!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:07

If you want to see photos of what it should look like check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ribbon on HMF

o

Actually, I did buy the rose just as it hit the selves just as Gardening season begun.
I just want to know about anybody's actual experience with this rose and if it exists or not.
I am afraid that this rose wont turn out to be Blue Ribbon. :/
Or the advertised rose, for that matter.

o

Whether or not it still exists in commerce, I can't say, but yes it did exist. UC Davis sells virus indexed cuttings of it and I grew it budded from Armstrong back in the mid 1980s. I remember my excitement when the box containing it, and Azure Sea arrived. I was shocked they were both stuffed in the box with no plastic bag, nothing damp, just dumped in the box, sealed and shipped.

It was highly scented and could provide quite fleeting, but very beautiful lavender blooms. In those years, all the thing had to have was 'blue' in the name and it followed me home. It suffered the same ills as the rest of the Armstrong mauves...fragile foliage and petals in the hot, arid conditions in that garden and a strong proclivity to black spot when the humidity was sufficient. Kim

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:42

Heirloom carries it own-root, but it's out of stock right now. I think I saw it available for a couple days when they put up the new list several weeks ago. They went fast. I got one from them last yr, or maybe it was the fall of 2012, can't remember. But it's still a small twiggy thing. Hasn't bloomed yet. I'm hoping this spring it will take off and bloom.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 15:54

The rose does indeed exist. You will only know whether or not your rose is the correct rose when it blooms. Was it a bagged rose from a big box store or a potted one from a nursery? The bagged roses have a high rate of being mislabeled. The nurseries are better but even they occasionally get a mislabeled one from their suppliers.

o

Hey all. thanks for the replies ^^
It was a bagged rose from a box store.
I did buy national trust too but the only rose I am currently worried about is this one.
Does anybody have their own photos? I cannot find good photos of the whole bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here