Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
biochar

Posted by wirosarian z4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 18:51

I have a large dairy farm in my area that is processing its waste into compost & biochar. I plan on picking up some biochar to try on a few roses. Has anyone tried biochar, how did you apply, how much, what results did you see, etc?
TIA, Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: biochar

Do let us know how it works for you.

o

A dairy operation near me, Fair Oaks, uses their waste in a bio generator to make gas to burn the moisture out of it. The process leaves a dry product. I've been unable to get any of it though. I'd be careful as cow manure has a lot of salts and can burn if too much is used.
Were I to gert any, I think I'd mix it with alfalfa and cotton seed meal.

o

Lucky You - certainly make use of it - Biochar has been a crucial ingredient in some of the most fertile soils on Earth. I will dig out some stuff and get back to you. Green with envy here!

o

Good question to check on Karl, also I want to check on pH effects of biochar as I've seen some info that it raises pH like wood ash. I've attached a link to the farm that produces the biochar, since they are market their compost & biochar to landscape & garden people, I hoping they have some good answers to these questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: biochar info

o

I just bought some biochar from BuyActivatedCharcoal house. It did not come with any instructions. I would like to try it on my newbies. I would like feedback on this product too.

o

The bio-char source that I linked aboved recommended mixing a 1/2" layer of bio-char in the top 6" of soil as the best way & amount to use. He said it needs to be worked into the soil because its very dusty & could be easily blown away by any wind. Below is one of the best articles that I've been able to find so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: bio-char link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here