Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you tip your bare roots?

Posted by justkristy 8TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 19:03

Do you advise pruning the tips off of your bare root roses when planting? On a side note: my bare roots from S&W Greenhouse look as good, or better than the bare roots I received from David Austin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you tip your bare roots?

No. I just dig a bigger hole.

o

I probably wasn't clear enough, Camp. What I meant to ask is do you tip the canes at the top? I dug really big holes so as not to prune the roots, some of which resembled a shaggy wisk broom.
I am sore all over today...but happy.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:10

If the weather is warm and dry and the tips do not have clean cuts then I do. Warm dry means they will heal swiftly. I do not tip in cool, rainy weather when infections are more likely. I wait for those warm dry conditions, of which, unfortunately, this year we have too much.

o

Oh right, I see what you mean. Supposedly, we are often advised to do so....but I don't because I find it is all too easy to tread on little stubs.

There is a massive variation in sizes, of both roots and shoots. My current favourite vendor sends out bare-roots which are immense, exactly like besom yard brushes.

How many did you plant? I confess to never doing more than half a dozen at a time because I am far too tempted to shirk and skimp after exhaustion and boredom sets in.

o

I planted 8 in all...lasagna style gardening...touted to be easier, but after yesterday, my aching back begs to differ.
I have about 4 more coming, and then I am done for the season....unless I can't resist another trip to Chamblee's...and I feel the need growing.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:29

I don't take anything off unless it's broken or damaged in some way. If the canes are green to the tips I leave the already healed cuts alone. Same thing with the roots. Only broken or damaged ones are taken off before planting. I soak the entire plant, canes and all, before planting.

o

I've never had to do that until I bought from a certain well known overpriced and overmarketed establishment in the UK. The state of the plants I was sent (in 3 different orders) was such that it necessitated me doing so. For some plants this meant that almost half of the cane lengths of what where far from overgrown plants had to go...
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 2:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here