Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme4tea

Can roses be grown in containers?

Thyme4Tea
11 years ago

We're renting and not able to plant a lovely rose garden. Since everything has to be container grown, I was wondering if roses can be grown in a container, if I make sure the pot is big enough to give good root growth? Can Heirloom, Country, or David Austin roses be grown that way? I'm in zone 6.

Comments (20)

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Yes, use a big pot.

• Thyme4Tea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's wonderful news! And, Seil, your roses are gorgeous! I'm excited to know that they can be grown that way! :)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Use BIG pots for the roses you're looking at. Min. of 20" wide and 24" deep. Use good potting soil, not expensive potting soil.

• cecily
    11 years ago

I like to use the 'foam' pots to reduce the weight. Drill extra holes in the bottom of the pot to ensure good drainage and set the pot on 'pot feet' or small rocks so it will really drain (no saucers!).

• opaka
    11 years ago

I also like the fabric "smart pots" for my roses. They supposedly prevent root binding by air pruning the roots, but I like that they are light, and you can get very large sizes (like 3 feet deep!)

• msjam2
    11 years ago

Here's Golden Celebration:
    {{gwi:231068}}

Abe Darby
    {{gwi:231069}}

• jktx55
    11 years ago

I thought I was fond of roses until I just seen Seil's photo of all those pots with roses in them.
    1. That is quite a investment in pots.
    2. That is a lot of labor moving all those pots.
    3. You must have a impressive watering system.
    4. Surely you must be retired in order to take care of them.
    You can tell I'm impressed with your dedication to roses.

• Thyme4Tea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

msjam2: Your roses are beautiful, also! I had an Abe Darby when I lived in Indiana and loved it!

• Alana8aSC
    11 years ago

what size pots are best for roses?

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

msjam - how often do you prune your roses' roots?
    Carol

• msjam2
    11 years ago

Both roses have since moved to their permanent spot in the ground. They grew too big even though those pots are huge. My potted roses get their roots trimmed and I replace the potting soil at the same every two years.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Yes you have to plan on replacing the soil because it breaks down over time. If you live where it's hot in summer, putting the pot inside another larger pot helps to shade the roots. Don't let them go very dry in summer because this can make the roses stop blooming. Be sure to water well the day before you feed them.

The fun about pots is being able to move them wherever you like. I use it to find the right planting locations sometimes and also when we have friends and family over, I move them around to add color. They don't mind being in the shade for a day if you put them back in the sun right away. During heatwaves, my potted roses hide under trees and in the shade of the house where they prefer it I'm sure.

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

I can only afford to look after about 8 roses in containers. More than 8 is a LOT of work. Imagine all the dead-heading, sweeping the ground, watering and fertising and dealing with pest and diseases.

Roses grow very quickly when they are healthy and when you don't prune them - having to transplant those pots after 2 years is a pain.

I prefer plastic containers for easy to move around. However, they are light in weight and can get knocked over by strong winds and if unlucky, the canes get damaged.

Roses in containers require lots of watering - someone had suggested to water the roses with a hose on the leaves and onto the soil to prevent spider mite invasion...and thank to whoever she is - that method works!

• barb_in_dc
    11 years ago

I grow everything in containers including climbing roses, Knock-Outs, and several other kinds of roses. Plus other perennials including phlox and hydrangeas. I don't have to worry about protecting them in the winter because ours have become so mild over the years. Good potting soil, drainage, size-appropriate pots and lots of watering are the keys to success.

One thing I do is keep the perennials in plastic or resin pots and save the porcelain and clay pots for annuals. The latter get emptied out before the worst of winter hits to avoid cracking and breakage.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Thanks msjam
    Plus - when you take the roses out of the pots to prune the roots - do you wash away all the soil on the roots or just do minimal invasive work?
    Thanks so much!!
    Carol

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

That's an interesting concept re: root pruning...wouldn't it damage and injure the rose?

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

I am so impressed by the pictures above! I'm in a hot zone-10 and grow mine in pots as well since the ground soil is too alkaline/waterlogged/saline. I had stopped but now, i'm going back into roses! Thank you!

• Holly Kline
    10 years ago

I have 10 so far, and I'm adding at least 4 next year. I love growing them in pots; I'm in a HOA-governed place, and I don't have a lot of space to plant in the earth, so it's a good alternative for me. You have to keep after the nutrition and the watering, but it's really not too bad.

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I have a few roses in containers, but I only keep them in a pot for 2-3 years, then I find a place for them in the garden. I am considering planting a couple of them in bottomless containers where root competition from neighboring trees is a problem. I wonder if the roots having a little more access to soil (below the container) would be helpful. I seem to remember that someone of this forum said they removed the bottom of a galvanized tub. Has anyone tried this method?
    Molly

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus