Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onewheeler

Planting rose hips, when, how?

onewheeler
14 years ago

I recently picked some hips off my roses which are almost covered in snow. The hips have been on the canes since last summer. There were hundreds of seeds in the hips. My darling grannie passed away and I can't think of any better way to honor her than to grow a rose in her honor.

I had some seed and cutting potting soil. I planted several hips, some from a rugosa and another from an Austin. I had read once that putting the seeds in some peroxide and nicking the seed might help them germinate. I have them sitting in a light place with a plastic cover over them.

Is this a good time or a poor time to harvest hips? Are there any further tips you could pass on that might help me grow at least one rose? It has been below freezing here since November so the seeds have had their cold period. How long will it take the seeds to sprout?

Whatever information you could give me would be appreciated. I know my grammie is smiling down on you all, she always loved the roses. She got the last bouquet of the season every year that I have grown them. It was so sweet to walk into her room and see her eyes light up at the sight of the roses, she would put her nose into the blooms and just sigh, she loved them so much.

So if you ever see a rose named Lillian Brown you will know it was a success.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Valerie