Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Frustrated with Hortico

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Has anyone had difficulty getting through to Hortico recently? I have been trying since Friday, January 31st to get in touch with them. Every time I call it just says they are busy. I left my number for them to call back, no response. I sent an email, still no response. This does not seem very professional, I am beginning to get frustrated. I am trying to confirm my order. I realize this is a busy time for mail order nurseries, but a response would be helpful. What has been your experience, should I just be patient?

Comments (21)

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Could it be that the horrific winter weather has closed them down?

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

I talked to the warehouse two days ago. They told me to email John. Still waiting for a reply...

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Henry and Jim - The winter weather might be a possibility. Guess I'll just keep trying.

• zone6-nj
    10 years ago

I emailed them days ago regarding my order and they apologized for the delay because during some winter months they either close or lessen their business hours - it was one of the 2.

edit: I placed an order with them a few weeks ago but was worried when I didn't didn't receive any email/charge on my credit card. After emailing them, I was assured that my order was put through and they only charge a percentage to your card (I think 20%) which I saw in the 31st in my statement. The rest is charged when the roses go out. Hope this helps.

This post was edited by zone6-nj on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 6:02

• User
    10 years ago

have been trying to get in touch with them to add another rose to my order. Three weeks and radio silence. The voice mail is full, and nobody is picking up the phone. Snow storms or not, this is no way to run a business. Lesson learned, and I am crossing them out from my vender list.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I've been trying to get in touch with them for the last month to ask about a particular rose. Several emails to both the general customer service and also specifically to John have gone unanswered. One to John came back twice with the old delivery failure notification. It is quite frustrating!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think you are just going to have to accept that Hortico closes down this time of the year--and will open again when they decide to open again--I would assume that might happen in the next couple weeks. Hope so for your sakes, anyway.

Kate

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Ho hum.

This conversation has been going on for years. YEARS! Will it ever end?

Order from Hortico and there's a slim possibility that you'll be pleased. There's a very great probability, however, that you won't be. Those odds have been stated here (and elsewhere) time and time and time again.

Go ahead and attempt to defy the odds if you must. Just please be aware that many of us are bored with hearing about how Hortico did, or is doing, you wrong.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Jaxondel, I hope that your comments were written in a lighthearted spirit that simply hasn't translated well to the text. I debated this response, and I certainly don't want to pick a fight, but I would like to point out that Sara Ann's subject heading was in no way ambiguous - if it's uninteresting to you, you don't have to click on the thread. Not all of us have been here for years and we're learning things through sharing - a great thing about information offered is that it's not personal - take what you need from it and leave what you don't.

I'm new. I've ordered once from Hortico so far, didn't love the customer service (my order was three months delayed and no one called or answered my first two calls). I found the roses to themselves to be packed well and the roots healthy looking and moist. Can't say anything more about them yet as they just went in last fall.

Karen

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann, I've been meaning to mention to you that I've never had a problem with Hortico, and they have supplied me with some of my favorite roses--Augusta Luise, Bernstein-Rose, and Blue Bayou, for starters. If you can find the rose you want from another supplier, say Palatine, then I would definitely start with them. But i wouldn't write Hortico off if they have a rose you want that nobody else carries. I hope all works out for you. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Kate, Karen and Diane and everyone else for your input, appreciate you. I haven't given up on Hortico, I was needing to confirm my order, that's all. I have read both good and bad about them, so my decision to order from them was made with that in mind. Even though I don't need to explain myself, I was wanting a particular variety of rose that was only available from them. If it works out that's great, if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world and I certainly won't be upset with anyone. I would say 98% of the people on this forum are about the nicest you could find anywhere. I have never been able to share my love of roses in this way and you start to feel a kinship after being on here awhile. I appreciate so much the kindness and helpfulness shown here.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 12:17

• missflippins
    10 years ago

We stopped doing business with Hortico 15 years ago when we got tired of their rude attitude and poor business practice. Jaxondel has obviously been around long enough to have experienced first hand problems with Hortico, and has heard enough complaints. I agree, if you must order from them, then beware.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Sara-ann,

We seem to be somewhat in the same boat.

I too placed my first order with Hortico this season, despite the information presented, because they were the only supplier I found to carry Pretty Jessica that is not a tiny band. If it works out great!! If not, I have a back up plan. No harm, no foulâ¦.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Dear Karen Redwolfdoc: " . . . a lighthearted spirit that simply hasn't translated well to the text . . .". What does that mean?

Never mind . . . Again, I'll just say this: Ho hum.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Yes, a lot of us who've been around here a long time already know that Hortico is a "pays your money, takes your chances" company but we do have to remember that we get new people on the board all the time who don't know that and need to hear our experiences and be forewarned. It's the same deal with the body bags too. We have to let the newbies know what to expect. If you know going into a transaction what the possible outcomes could be then you're better able to handle it when it doesn't go according to plan.

I've ordered from Hortico too because they were the only place I could get a certain rose. They always have some really hard to find ones listed. Not that you're sure to get what you ordered, mind you. I got the rose I ordered (can't say if it was mislabeled) but unfortunately it never broke dormancy. They did replace it for me with no problems but when the second one did break dormancy and just failed to thrive I didn't bother to get it replaced. It dwindled away and I never saw it bloom so I'll never know if it was the one I had ordered.

Just know that when you order from Hortico you may have issues and don't be surprised when it happens.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

I've ordered from Hortico a handful of times over the years only because they supposedly had a rose that I couldn't purchase elsewhere.

I've even been surprised on one or two occasions with a quality plant. Surprised, because most of the time they neither have most of the roses they list, or they ship you the wrong variety and generally poor quality plants as well. This is assuming of course, that your order ever arrives within the month that you request it to begin with.

Needless to say, I don't even bother ordering from them anymore.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I ordered from Hortico last year, and I was pleased with the bare roots I got.
    I, too, have been waiting for a response, and I finally got confirmation yesterday. Very polite and professional.
    I like Hortico. :)
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: Hortico responded to my email several weeks ago, and apologized for the delay. Yesterday a nice young lady called me to confirm my shipping information. I am hopeful and want to give them a chance.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

They have been maintaining contact with me too, but I had to cancel my order. They just begin shipping too late for my growing season, as all of my roses are in bloom at this point. Dealing with them has been pleasant.

Lynn

• litchfieldgardener
    10 years ago

It's seems that are Jekyll/Hyde Horticos: the good one and the bad one. I've bought there for the past 20+ years, because they usually stock varieties I can't find anywhere else. And sometimes I've had plants delivered that I couldn't possibly improve on--big, plump roots carefully wrapped and still moist. But other times...one year instead of 3 Ballerinas, they sent me one B. and 2 Sally Holmes, all tagged as Ballerina. Two years ago my order was missent to San Diego, and 3 weeks later arrived in CT, totally dessicated. To their credit, they are replacing the 3 that died, out of 4--but only after insisting that they're packed to survive at least 3 weeks! Well, good luck with that. I vowed never to return. But then, when I couldn't locate City of York anywhere (Googling hard), guess who had it. The grower you love to hate.

• litchfieldgardener
    10 years ago

It's seems that are Jekyll/Hyde Horticos: the good one and the bad one. I've bought there for the past 20+ years, because they usually stock varieties I can't find anywhere else. And sometimes I've had plants delivered that I couldn't possibly improve on--big, plump roots carefully wrapped and still moist. But other times...one year instead of 3 Ballerinas, they sent me one B. and 2 Sally Holmes, all tagged as Ballerina. Two years ago my order was missent to San Diego, and 3 weeks later arrived in CT, totally dessicated. To their credit, they are replacing the 3 that died, out of 4--but only after insisting that they're packed to survive at least 3 weeks! Well, good luck with that. I vowed never to return. But then, when I couldn't locate City of York anywhere (Googling hard), guess who had it. The grower you love to hate.