Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting thick rose stems

Posted by Dragunov 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 19:34

So I recently bought a bagged rose without looking at the stems. What is bothering me is that there are only 2 stems as thick as a pencil on one side.

What I would like to know is, whether it is possible for the rose to grow other thick stems on the other sides and will those stems (that are already there) get any thicker?

I am still a beginner, so please bear with me. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting thick rose stems

Yes Dragunov. With time and vigor your roses should grow . Was it a class two? Was it a hybrid tea rose? Should say on the wrapping . I think you will do well. Just keep it well watered. New roses can dry out when it heats up.

o

No information about it is giving on the wrapping. Though I believe it is a hybrid tea rose.

You think that new, thick canes will grow from where I highlighted with the red circle? As that area seems closed for good.

o

The answers are no and yes. New basal growth of the grafted rose will only come from the bud union (graft) area where the canes join the rootstock cane. This area will enlarge into a ball and buds that become canes will spring from it as well as from the established grafted canes. Any other canes that may spring from the rootstock cane will be from the rootstock and not the graft and you get rid of them by ripping them off at the base. The two canes that are there will get bigger as will the rootstock cane. As the root system gets better established and assuming you take good care of the rose the canes will get bigger.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 19:58

What Henry said but that is a pretty typical looking bagged bare root rose so I wouldn't worry. Plant it and take good care of it and it will probably do just fine for you. I wouldn't prune anything off of it except dead wood for the first year. Just let it put on some roots and top growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here