Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redwolfdoc_z5

What's your favourite single? Pictures, please!

redwolfdoc_z5
10 years ago

There have been some truly beautiful pictures of singles posted in the alphabet strings... just wondering what your favourites are. I'd love to hear about the bush and not just the bloom!

Seil, that golden wings photo has been haunting me!

Karen

Comments (42)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I like singles and have several now.

Dainty Bess
    {{gwi:231251}}

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade has a few more than 5 petals but still not what I'd call "double".
    {{gwi:231253}}

Golden Wings
    {{gwi:231255}}

Home Run
    {{gwi:231256}}

Mrs. Robinson
    {{gwi:231257}}

Mutabilis
    {{gwi:231258}}

I need a mini single. Maybe Peggy T?

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I don't have very many, but what I have are pretty nice. Unfortunately tho, one of them, DAINTY BESS, apparently didn't bloom last yr, because I don't have a pic. But I do have some pics of a couple others.

BETTY PRIOR - not a very pretty rose unfortunately
    {{gwi:231259}}

{{gwi:231260}}

Another one I'm really enjoying is one I got from Cliff before he closed up EuroDesert Roses:

NIGHT SKY
    {{gwi:231261}}

And then there's a lovely climber:

PURPLE SPLASH
    {{gwi:231262}}

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Seil! You take such lovely pictures. Dainty Bess is so sweet - the clarity of the pink is stunning and I love those red stamens. How big is she in your garden?

Golden wings - sigh. :)

Until recently I didn't even know there was such a thing as a single rose. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to their simplicity and elegance.

Looking forward to seeing more!
    Karen

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, your post must have come in while I was submitting mine - I didn't see it. I came back to the thread and it was like finding a 5 dollar bill in the pocket of jeans you haven't worn in a while...

Purple Splash - OMG

• User
    10 years ago

moyesii - always and forever....although Scharlachglut is coming up as another top class red.

Favourite white........Nevada

all of the early Chinese yellows. especially Cantabridgiensis

• Molineux
    10 years ago

FRU DAGMAR HASTRUP (Hybrid Rugosa) is my favorite single. Like many Rugosa roses it has vicious thorns but the modest size (3-4 ft.) of the bush makes it more manageable than most others within its class. Foliage is truly disease resistant and turns lovely shades of golden orange in the autumn. Good repeat bloom, pretty pink flowers and fragrant to boot. Many of the more developed Hybrid Rugosas are poor producers of rose hips but FDH doesn't have this problem. All in all one of the best singles you can grow.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I've got Golden Wings on order for spring. Can't wait after seeing that pic!

Can I grow Moyesii in Wisconsin? Thoughts on size in my zone?

Going through this post, I realized the only single I have is a mini I planted last spring. Technically, I think Morden Snowbeauty is semi-double, but ....

{{gwi:223105}}

• User
    10 years ago

Moyesii in Wisconsin - Oh yes, Zaphod - this is a tough hardy rose. There are various varieties, ranging from the deep crimson of R.moyesii, through to the pure scarlet of Geranium or the fuchsia pinks of Moyesii Hilleri (aka Pruhonica). Also Sealing Wax and various Canadian cultivars such as Eddie's Jewel and Eddie;s Crimson. A truly marvellous rose in every way, including the tremendous show of flagon-shaped heps in autumn.
    Here it is, lighting up the end of my allotment.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Singles truly are lovely. That moyesii of yours is quite something, Camp! Wowzah. I really didn't know there were so many out there.

Kim, many thanks for those articles! I started reading through, clicking the links to HMF, then realized that I'd spent fifteen minutes and I really, really have to get back to work... I'm looking forward to perusing at more leisure later on. Very kind of you to dig those out! ...I also want to tell you that I stumbled across a long, thorough commentary you wrote two years ago on the HMF page for Nimbus - it describes several of the older unusual coloured roses. I've been busy looking all those up too! You seem so generous and kind, but perhaps a bit of a sadist-enabler too? ;)

Molineux, that's a great looking rose! I love that it has nice autumn foliage too - talk about icing on the cake.

Karen

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Your Moyesii is spectacular Camp! Your photo reminds me of the Master Hugh I saw at Gregg Lowery's home many years ago. Truly breathtaking! You're welcome, Karen! I'm glad you're enjoying them. When I initially began collecting roses, one of the issues I had was the lack of information about types such as the single HTs, odd colored types, micro minis, species crosses, etc. I could find reams about the latest HTs or floribundas and every rose book seemed to repeat the same information about the same selection of roses. I figured the only way to learn what I needed to know was to actually grow them. Of course I had to document what I observed. Writing about them and sharing that with others has been as rewarding as actually handling the plants. If you are also enamoured with the odd colors, here is an article I wrote during those years Paul Barden published on his marvelous site, Old Garden Roses and Beyond. There have been a number of newer "Coffee Roses" released since that was written, but these represent some of the best colors of the type. Probably not as good plants, but the flowers can be amazing. It's been fun seeing the name become accepted as a type. A small Australian nursery termed them "coffee roses" as a pun on "tea roses" due to their odd coloring. I was shown the catalog at The Huntington one day and I loved the name, so I began using it. The article was published in The Potpourri of Roses, the Huntington Volunteer Workshop Newsletter and reprinted many other times. I've run across the term many times since in reference to the brown, grey and green roses. It's been quite fun! I just noticed (after HOW long?) in the description of Cafe, it should read, "being also bred from the Brownell's LARGE flowered climber GOLDEN GLOW and R. Kordesii." instead of "lame colored flower". Opps! How many years has that been that way? LOL! Enjoy! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Roses on Paul Barden's Old Garden Roses and Beyond

This post was edited by roseseek on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 15:53

• snowheather
    10 years ago

Here's Occhi di Fata:

{{gwi:231263}}

Here's Paul Ecke, Jr.

{{gwi:231264}}

Here's Deanna.

{{gwi:231265}}

And, here's Field of Dreams:

{{gwi:231266}}

And, finally, here's Frankie.

{{gwi:231267}}

• snowheather
    10 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention the bushes in the above posting. All oft those roses are healthy shrubs. The last one, Frankie, thinks it is a climber, though, and throws long canes with roses at the end.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Wow! Love that DEANNA!!

• organicgardendreams
    10 years ago

Single roses weren't on my radar for the longest time and I have to admit, that I wasn't too fond of them, but that changed dramatically when I was visiting Mottisfont Abbey Rose Gardens last year in June. They had a specimen of 'Marguerite Hilling' ('Pink Nevada') in that garden that simply took my breath away. I also saw white 'Nevada' there the first time in person and have fallen in love as well.
    I have written a blog post about my visit at Mottisfont Abbey lately, where I posted photos of both of the above mentioned roses (bush shots and close-ups). Maybe you would like to have a look? If so then, please, just click on the link below.
    Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of 'Marguerite Hilling' and 'Nevada

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Sally Holmes in semi shade brings out the apricot colour

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Here is Meilland's Yann Arthus Bertrand names after a French ecologist.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I haven't grown it, haven't even seen it in person yet, but Austin's Morning Mist has impressed me in photos. It really seems like what I'd expect him to produce from Mutabilis. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Mist

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I love Paul Ecke Jr. It isn't currently planned for production at Heirloom. If anyone is interested in this rose, give them a call. It needs votes and requests in order to be scheduled.

Snowheather - Where did you get Occhi di Fata in the US? HMF only lists European locations.

• snowheather
    10 years ago

Zaphod42- I bought Occhi di Fata from Roses Unlimited. It is a Barni rose. Also, I bought my Paul Ecke, Jr. on fortuniana rootstock from Cool Roses.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Kim, thank you for the article

I would love to hear more about Cecil, love the star shape of the photo

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Kippy. I hope you found all four and not just the Single Hybrid Tea one. Cecil is still, all these years later, one of the most satisfying roses I grow. In this junk dirt, it isn't two feet tall but I intend to bud it this summer. I've rooted three types of stocks in hopes of finally making it perform as it did in Newhall. None of the single flowers last a long time and Cecil's aren't any different, but I love the rose. I've used it to breed some other seedlings with hopes of perhaps creating a larger shrub of it. What else can I say? It's a nice HT for the type and vintage and I hope to grow it for a very long time. Kim

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Fruhlingsmorgen' is pretty distinctive.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Kim. I can't find d the other articles (my fault I am sure using an out of date android pad when I get a chance while watching my grandson)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

No problem, Kippy. Click on the link below and it will take you to the latest post. Scroll down the page and each article appears in line, like reading a scroll. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pushing the Rose Envelope

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Christina, I've just returned from your glorious pictorial tour of Mottisfont Abbey, one of the beauty spots on this earth, I think. I so enjoyed your tour and thank you for posting the link. I was impressed with Chianti and Crimson Glory, Climbing, and plan to learn more about them. Again, thank you so much.

My favorite single remains Dainty Bess, and since Seil's photo of DB remains the gold standard for this rose, I'll just defer to Seil on that one. I also love Ballerina and Morden Sunrise. Here's a photo of Ballerina in spring. She's remains fairly small for me, but when she blooms you can't see any green, just solid single flowers--what enthusiasm she has. Here is Ballerina. Diane

• redwolfdoc_z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dianne, thank you for that great photo of Ballerina. I've heard nothing but good things about her. And I agree about Dainty Bess - her pictures really speak to me. Deanna - so delicate! Sally Holmes - beautiful apricot shading. Finally, the copper of Morning Mist is really quite arresting. Gorgeous!

Kim, I've thoroughly enjoyed the articles you posted, thank you. It's always a treat to listen to an expert.I haven't gone through the entire article on coffee roses, but I'm really looking forward to it. I LOVE the 'odd' colours!

Does anyone have an opinion on Dogwood? Not a lot of info on HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood on HMF

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Dogwood is lovely, but I know nothing about this rose. Thanks for the link, though. Diane

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Lynnie seems to be a fine plant . I haven't had it long but it has grown very well, and is mostly blackspot free here in the SE. Rebloom is great, and the color is intense.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Wow! The color is much more intense in your climate! Lynnie has always been a four seasons plant for me. If you allow the last hips to remain, here is what you can enjoy for autumn/winter coloring here. The wood turns purple; the foliage can turn purple, scarlet and gold depending upon how intense the cold and dryness are and the hips will brighten to that orange and persist until removed by you, a critter or finally fall off. They're durable enough to be cut and used for floral work if you'd like. I'm proud of her! Thanks. Kim

{{gwi:231268}}
    {{gwi:231269}}

• msdorkgirl
    9 years ago

Just bought a stem propagated Ballerina that was in bloom in August/September this year that had two clusters on the ends --- I have since repotted it and it's now showing new leaves.

It's been two months with no sign of buds or bloom, any hints or tips? I repotted it with a little bone meal 2-3 weeks ago, I applied weak solution of iron sulfate to green up some very light green leaves at that time too, and might be thinking of Superbloom next week? And as you can see, some of the leaves still show as light green, is that normal?

Any help would be appreciated. Whether it's suggestions about how to help it bloom, or how it should be growing, if it should be spreading out like that or should be bushier, etc.

Thank you!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Ballerina is strongly multiflora. Multiflora and its hybrids can show quite a bit of chlorosis in colder weather, particularly if the soil/water are more alkaline. The plant is not likely to do much flowering this time of year due to reduced light intensities and lower heat. Attempting to push it with fertilzer is more of a waste of the fertilizer. Once the light levels and temperature increase to the flowering threshold, it should start blooming. Kim

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Here's Altissimo

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Happenstance

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Irish Elegance

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Soaring Spirits

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

The Imposter

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

That Altissimo is gorgeous isn't it?... and I like Happenstance too...

..my favourite singles would be Mutabilis, Mrs Oakley Fisher and Complicata, I've also grown Fruhlingsmorgen and Marguerite Hilling as well as Nevada and moyesii 'Geranium'.... all lovely in their own ways... but some just a bit too big for me now in this smaller garden.

..so here is the less than sumptuous 'Kew Gardens'... nothing special about it... perhaps rather bland...but it is totally thornless and permanently flowering... my plant still has masses of buds in mid December after some frost...

I grow it with Eugenia 'Etna Fire' as the foliage lights it up a bit..

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Summer Wine, although I think it has slightly more than 5 petals - they are so cupped and curvy it is hard to count them. I got mine accidentally from Heirloom Roses in OR many years ago, when I had ordered Altissimo. SW turned out to be a MUCH better color to go with the roses around it. I love its colors, which evolve. The buds start out red, the blooms open orange, then turn to peach, and eventually fade to a pale pink.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Summer Wine - in this pic you can see the initial orange color.

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Summer Wine is where the scent, tremendous foliage, vigor and excellent health came from in Eyes for You and Blue for You. Rhapsody in Blue is also descended from it as is Bull's Eye, but they didn't inherit the amazing health the first two did. Kim

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, these are beautiful! I like the radiant glow in the centers of some of these. Here's a picture of my seedling, Paso Doble, which had almost black stripes. It was a seedling of 4th of July. Unfortunately the plant was not vigorous and it is no more.