Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiffany or La France for Western exposure?

Posted by shopshops (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 19:47

Sadly I have lost two perrenial shrubs to the excessive freezes in Texas this year. I was so looking forward to white blooms on my viburnums this year!

On the other hand, I have ordered 27 roses this year and need room. I now have a southern exposure with 9 hours of full Texas sun and a semi shaded Western exposure with 6 hours morning sun and evening shade. My two options are Tiffany and La France. Which should I put where?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiffany or La France for Western exposure?

Tiffany is heat tolerant. It is on the suggested roses list for the hot, desert climate here. I am contemplating purchasing one, and if so, it will be placed in an area that receives 7-8 hours of sun. Two to three of the 8 hours of sun will be in afternoon sun.

I contemplated purchasing La France a few months ago. It would have been placed in an area that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. I know that others in hot climates grow La France and I believe it is a satisfactory performer.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:13

o

Thank you dessert garden. They will be going into the ground next week.

o

I do have Tiffany and it is heat tolerant, holds up very well during the heat. My two Tiffany bushes get the brunt of afternoon sun, the bed they are in faces the west. The picture shown was taken during a dry hot period last summer. I have ordered La France and am also looking forward to seeing how it performs.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:33

o

Tiffany's petals are significantly more durable than La France's. Kim

o

La France, for me, was a puny. disease ridden grower. I kept her because of the historic interest and for the beauty of the flowers. She needs constant attention, or mine did; you might want to plant near the back door.

o

La France may be more suitable for warmer climates than nastarana's. It's quite happy in my warm and dry garden, which I suspect is true of many early hybrid teas which are still closely related to the tea roses.

o

Thank you soo much! SaraAnn what a beauty that Tiffany is. Thanks for sharing that picture. I have several Belinda's Dreams and she is one of Belinda's parents. To be honest one of the only reasons I ordered her. Ingrid, Nastarana and Roseseek. I also thank you for your advice. I will put Tiffany in the harsher sun and La France in the evening shade.

o

Shopshops - Thank you. I would agree about Belinda's Dream. I have three and it is such a good rose. Glad you started this thread, the info about La France has been helpful also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here