Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

I hit the jackpot today! Rose orders coming in..

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Yippee! I came home to THREE packages waiting for me!! I think the Hortico one will be here on Monday. Got orders from Rogue Valley Roses, Burlington Roses, and Breck's.

These are the bands from Burling at Burlington Roses. I just ordered these on Tuesday. I'm so excited. Got EYES FOR YOU, HOT CHOCOLATE and HIGH SHERIFF. Been wanting EYES FOR YOU for a few yrs. Never thought it would be available here in the US, other than thru the annual auctions in the SoCal rose societies. And I already have the florist version of HOT CHOCOLATE, but now I have the New Zealand version which is a more rusty-red color. Got HIGH SHERIFF to replace the one I got a few yrs ago from Heirloom, that died last yr. Heirloom is sold out.
{{gwi:231751}}

These are the Rogue Valley Roses bands. Look how freakin' tall they are!! Got a replacement COLOR MAGIC, which is the smallest plant. The other two are BRITE BLUE, and believe it or not the mini CHIPMUNK!
{{gwi:231753}}

And for anyone thinking about ordering from Brecks (the bulb company) let me show you how huge their roses are! These are SUGAR MOON and the early-released NEIL DIAMOND. Great plants and well packed. SUGAR MOON is a monster! I was expecting these to be small dried-out plants. I'm very pleasantly surprised! Can't wait to see these bloom!
{{gwi:231755}}

I'm really excited that the roses are all coming in and looking great. I also got (last week) my CRESCENDO from J&P and my S&W order... FIRED UP, ANNA'S PROMISE, TWILIGHT ZONE and CORETTA SCOTT KING. Oh, and Regan's also came last week too. Just JULIO IGLESIAS and EYECONIC MELON LEMONADE.

The bareroots are soaking, and the bands are just chillin' on the back patio til the rain quits! Come on spring!! I am sooo ready!

Comments (11)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

WhooHoo! Fine looking plants!

So you got roses AND rain, lucky dog! Have fun :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They all look fabulous! You got some great roses too. Can't wait to see some bloom pics!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Awesome!!
    It's such a fun time when you get the new roses. So much possibility!!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Beth - They do look great, I'm excited for you and look forward to your wonderful pics.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Beth, I'm glad you are getting rain. It sure sounds like it is much needed out there. We have been in some level of drought here for some time. It is supposed to snow tonight and have temps well below zero. This is March. This starts the scariest time of year here because of the weather changes. I don't mind the snow so much; we need the water. Anyway, I hope you will like Sugar Moon, Crescendo, and Twilight Zone. I have all three, and all three smell quite good. Please post some pictures when you can. I always like to look.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Sugar Moon is really nice (and tall). Rogue Valley sent out some big bands. Everything looks good. Happy planting.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Beth,

It is exciting! I hope you continue to post pictures of your roses; as I do not believe I stand alone in enjoying viewing the images you upload. Looking at your roses is better than what is presented in many catalogs.

I received an email from Hortico two days ago. They informed me that my shipment will be among the first shipments for the year, but that will not be until late March, weather permitting, as they have not been able to send anything yet (paraphrase)??? They indicated at this point, they are unable to provide inventory information, but, my order has been processed ( whatever that means in the scope of their business)????

Lynn

• MK
    10 years ago

Yep! Have fun!
    I ordered two David Austin roses, Othello and Sally Holmes and they were the size of yours from Breck's. Got them in before the rain here in SF East Bay. Yippee!

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Congratulations and I hope you are having fun, playing in the dirt! My orders are supposed to start arriving next weekend. I can't wait!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

After all the years and all the roses you have grown, I'm happy to hear that you still get excited when you get even more. Have fun with them.....And btw, that is a complete surprise to me too about the size and quality of Breck's roses. Do you think it's a one time deal? Thanks for posting a picture of the bare roots. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes....Maryl

• kstrong
    10 years ago

heheh -- Yep Sugar Moon and Neil Diamond are both going to be what I call "growers." I saw the size of the Neil Diamonds that got delivered to the Pacific Auction, and just looking at the bareroots gives you a basic idea of the vigor. These plants, which were just grafted two years back were all monster bareroots. Queen Liz, watch out. (Queen Liz was always a big lusty bare root in its time too). The size of that bare root was not a fluke. Neil the rose is going to be way bigger than Neil the person.

Eyes for You, on the other hand, needs a lot of coddling here. And despite it's initial size, I don't think Chipmunk will get much taller -- but will fill out and get wider.

Have fun. I got a Neil Diamond from Breck's also, but most everything else I got this year came from the auctions. I think I ended up with 33 newbies, almost all of which were varieties I haven't grown before, except for a couple of old favorites that were somehow made available on Fortuniana rootstock through the Huntington -- don't know how that happened, but I grabbed 'em when I saw 'em (Touch of Class, Oregold, and Sutter's Gold).