Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Easy To Grow Red Flowered Climber? Suggestions Welcome

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'll be helping my sister plant a garden of all sorts of plants (veggies too) and I said to her that I was looking at roses to keep my mind off the storm outside. I asked her if she would like some in her garden. She said yes and that her favorite color rose is red. Can anyone here suggest a nice, strong, easy growing, red climbing rose. It'll grow on a chain link fence out in the backyard (some shade not a lot though). Thank you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (21)

• york_rose
    13 years ago

A crucial question: how tall and wide is the fence?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure of the actual dimentions, but I know it's wider than it is tall.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

I grow both Dublin Bay and Quadra against a fence.
    Quadra
    {{gwi:231792}}
    Quadra bloom
    {{gwi:231793}}
    Dublin Bay
    {{gwi:218747}}
    Doublin Bay bloom
    {{gwi:218748}}
    Quadra is hardy to the tips and Dublin Bay usually has 4 feet or more of good cane after a winter. I provide no winter protection for either.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both look great, karl! I was reading about Dublin Bay in my one rose book and I think I'll write it down as a possibility. It sounds like the one my sister would like. I may have to go rose hunting when the time comes. Quadra is pretty too but I read it doesn't have much of a fragrance.

I don't do anything with my Fourth of July either for winter protection but I do prune it back to control it's size in fall and again in early spring to see if i missed any canes. It does great. It'll be five this June.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• york_rose
    13 years ago

I have neither ever seen it or grown it, but I do know that White Flower Farms raves about Dublin Bay (for what that's worth).

If fragrance is important to your selection I do NOT recommend Blaze Improved. To my mind (& nose) while its flowers are pretty, the flowers are scentless, the leaves are very prone to defoliation from blackspot (at least, they are in the Philadelphia & Boston areas) and Japanese Beetles LOVE it!

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I have experience with both. Both are good, both are not fragrant. DB is smaller,but gets much more defoliation from BS. Still blooms well. Quadra is absolutely healthy. I love flowers on DB more, but Quadra is so healthy and easy, I would probably recommend her more. both are thorny.
    Olga

• erasmus_gw
    13 years ago

Fields of the Wood is a beautiful rose with old fashioned bloom form, a deep red not scarlet, has good blackspot resistance here, reblooms, is vigorous but would not overwhelm a chain link fence. It may not be as hardy as the others mentioned, I'm not sure.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

Quadra is a lovely rose, absolutely healthy here and hardy to the tips. No scent, but that's hard to find in hardy climbers. Quadra is thorny so I don't have it on a fence (I didn't want to injure the neighbors).

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Fields of the Wood is not resistant to BS here at all. Probably will be the same in PA. It also has a lot of winter dieback for me and I am almost zone 7. Lovely fragrance for sure.
    Olga

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

I don't spray and my Dublin Bay stays relatively free of blackspot even though it gets watered every other morning from overhead sprinklers. It's in morning shade and full afternoon sun. I like the blooms on Dublin Bay better than those of Quadra.

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

Illusion is a very good red climber. No BS, wonderful foliage, hardy.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Illusion is naked from BS here half the time. Resistance is not as good as Quadra, but probably comparable to Dublin Bay.
    Similar to Karl I love DB flowers more than Quadra or Illusion, so it it all depends on your tolerance to BS.
    Olga

• amandahugg
    13 years ago

What about Radler's Ramblin' Red? I saw a spectacular plant of it in Pennsylvania.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

I have had success with Dublin Bay, Don Juan and Dortmund.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

Don Juan, although fragrant with nicely formed flowers, is questionably hardy for zone 6. It's a really tender climber.

• henry_kuska
    13 years ago

I have had Illusion in 2 locations in Northern Ohio, zone 5. They both were in no spray gardens. Blackspot has not been a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for my comments

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

My best red climber is Too Hot to Handle. I also have Illusion and Grandessa. Grandessa is winter-tender here. I have a running battle with blackspot on Illusion. It probably depends on where you are and what version of blackspot is in your area. Here is a picture of a spray of it. The color is pretty close to actual hot red.

{{gwi:231794}}

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! That's what I call red! I'll take a look at that one too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• clanross
    13 years ago

Red Cascade. Easy. Easy. Easy.

• seasideroses
    12 years ago

Dublin Bay has done excellently in my North Coast garden and I find it beautiful; quadra is still too young and small to tell. surprisingly, etoile de hollande has done pretty well no matter where I place her and is so beautiful she's worth taking a risk on...

• logan33
    12 years ago

I have Dublin Bay and Illusion and don't spray or winter protect in zone 5/6. Illusion does great! Dublin Bay isn't quite as blackspot resistant or winter hardy. Thanks Henry for recommending Illusion over the years... I took the advice several years ago since I live close to you and I couldn't be happeir with how it has performed.