Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swedeone

Planted first rose garden today, everything wilted

swedeone
10 years ago

Hello,

I am hoping to start my first rose garden around the bird bath and planted six, bare root roses today. I followed the instructions per several Youtube videos, put compost down, good soil, dug deep enough, etc. soaked the roses, planted them on a mound of dirt, packed the soil, watered, more soil, more water. About an hour later, all the leaves wilted on every plant.

I talked to the company, Sexton Roses, who told me I should cut off all the green leaves and buds already growing and let new shoots grow instead.

Should I let them be for a few days, keep watering and see how they do or should I cut off the leaves and stems?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Lisa

Comments (36)

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

I've never experienced what you are describing. I normally mix dirt with soil conditioner and when planting, fill the hole with water then wiggle the plant to get out air bubbles. I then give them B1, or transplant starter or miracle grow quick start..

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Deervssteve,

I mixed Miracle Grow Garden Soil with compost, put the bulb part on the top of a cone of dirt and then placed the roots around it so there was no air, added more dirt, packed it and then watered it before adding more dirt.

I never heard of soil conditioner and darnit, I watched quite a few videos on bare root rose planting.

I'll see how they are in the morning, not sure how much to water them, again, different opinions, some say every other day, some say every day for a few days.

Would it make any sense to prune off the shoots and leaves though like the guy from the company said is what I am wondering...

Thank for your reply!

Lisa

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Did your bare root roses have leaves already? Or where they in pots you took them out of the soil?

Do you have a photo?

If they were bareroots, they should not have had any leaves on them (breaking dormancy) but in your area, I would think it is late in the season for planting bareroots. Here in CA zone 9, they were in the stores at the end of December/Beginning of January.

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kippy-the-Hippy,

Yes they did have leaves and even a bud or two on a few of them. I took a picture of them when they were in the buckets soaking and once they were planted today that I will attach.

As I mentioned, this is my first time planting roses, I just love them and have been looking at photos of some of the roses people here have, so beautiful.

I called the grower and they said to plant them now, I did not know it was late in the season, they just had them in recently.

Thank you for your reply, please let me know if you have any suggestions regarding the leaves and buds.

Lisa

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here they are after being planted. That is a piece of baseboard on the bird bath I was using to determine where to plant the roses so they would be even. I covered them with more dirt after the photo was taken.

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi nikthegreek,

It is warm here in south Florida, I will water them at the base twice a day, morning and afternoon? Do I just let the hose run on the soil or is there a better way to ensure they get the water they need? I tested the soil, it drained very well and I think it might be a good idea to put mulch, it will hold the moisture in and better as well.

I will be out there in the morning watering them and again later in the day. I appreciate your reply!

Thank you,

Lisa

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Last year I started planting roses again after 25 years and by the time I got to the stores all the bare roots were gone and the potted roses weren't going to be available until May. I bought three bare root roses by mail in the middle of March and planted them. They did fine except for the deer and then I caged the roses.

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Mulch will help. Just let the hose run for some time. If the soil does not drain fast just regulate the flow at the tap.
    I will be honest and say that I have never planted bareroots which have leafed out and shot up that much. I would be tempted to prune the new shoots as they just act as water evaporators while the root system is not developed enough to support them, although I understand why you wouldn't want to do it. At least you should take part of that leaf burden off the plants, I would say. Let's see if someone else has faced the same situation.
    Nik

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

btw you wouldn't happen to have a beach umbrella or two handy eh? Providing some shade to the plants for a fortnight would work miracles.
    Nik

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

...or a folding lawn chair could provide temporary shade. I must say i have never seen bare root roses so fully leafed out, poor things. Nik has given great advice. Good luck - it will be pretty around your fountain some day.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I too am surprised to see all the green growth on bareroots. Are you sure you aren't confusing bareroot with ownroot (I did a lot when I first started growing roses). Did they come to you with the roots literally bare? Or were they planted in a small pot? To me, they look like roses that were planted in a small pot.

But since they are in the ground already, I too say shade them a bit (lawnchairs work fine) and water them regularly and in about a month, they will be looking good.

Kate

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies, these are bare root roses, they were packed in something like sawdust and in bags.

I just looked at them, they aren't as wilted but you're right, as soon as the sun hits them, they will probably wilt. I would like strong plants, if it is the common opinion to cut them back, if someone could please tell me how that should be done I would greatly appreciate it. I would try and shade them but don't have enough chairs for all six plants, I have a whopping one chair.

Thank you very much for helping a beginner!

Lisa

This post was edited by swedeone on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 9:47

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again,

Quick question, after watching a few more videos last night, the bare root roses, I know the ones I purchased at Sam's were not the same quality. I would much prefer the better ones that are about $25 a piece but couldn't purchase them at the moment.

Do you think these roses will ever be large, blooming plants? I also saw where they said if a rose dies in that spot, you cannot replant there and this is where I would want them.

If I have to wait and save for better plants, then I will do that.

Thank you all again!!

Lisa

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just watered the roses at the base, they were not that wilted until I watered them.

The soil drains well, should I not water them often?

They didn't look too bad, five minutes later, they wilted.

I apologize for all the questions, I am learning and hopefully will have roses that grow.

Thank you again!

Lisa

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

As others mentioned, I would shade them a couple weeks or so until they develop strong enough roots to be able to stand up to full sun. You can use shade cloth available at Home Depot or Lowe's. Google how to use it if you're not sure.

I have transplanted some roses and didn't get enough of a root system. The leaves probably lose so much moisture in full sun and there are not enough roots to send to the leaves yet. If you shade them they have a chance to grow enough roots to supply the leaves. Cutting the leaves back with also help. I would do both.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Also, you may want to watch that you are overwatering. What type of soil do you have, do you know? You can kill plants by overwatering as it can keep oxygen from getting to the roots.

Sandy soil drains quickly and clay soil holds more moisture. I can't advise about sandy soil as I have extremely clay soil but I do know sandy soil needs heavy organic material added so the water will be retained in the root zone. Others that have that type of soil might want to advise.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

As far as the overall health of the plant. In time they will be just as healthy as the more expensive plants. They just start out slower. They should be fine.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Lisa, I would definitely mulch the roses with some organic material like leaves or the bark mulch you can buy in the stores. I would trim the roses a little and take off most of the leaves. The roots need to catch up with the top growth.

It's not true in the U.S. that you can't plant another rose in the same area if these don't make it. I've done it dozens of times, so don't worry about that.

You can try leaning pieces of cardboard against the roses in a position where they're sheltered from the sun during the hottest part of the day, assuming you don't have a lot of wind. You could even put leafy branches over them for a while to shade them. You can buy shade cloth and attach it to the ground with some wooden stakes, again siting it to protect the roses from the hottest sun of the day. Be sure to pinch off any buds also since they'll also take energy the roots can't give them right now. The roses look healthy so I think they'll be fine if you mulch, trim them a little, take off the leaves and buds and water them well. Good luck!

Ingrid

• edenh
    10 years ago

hi,
    looks like too much sun too me. I would have potted them up first and put them in shade until they got over the shock. Any plants with green top would wilt when planted bareroot..trust me..i did a lot of that because i like moving my perennials around. I would water mine a few times a day and give them shades for a few days, then gradually ease them into morning sun. After a week or so they would bounce back.Good Luck

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Lisa, with regards to pruning, just take the pruners and take at least two thirds of the new growth off including any flower buds. Don't worry about pruning technique at this stage. Make sure the soil is always VERY wet in adequate depth (i.e. planting depth) and try to provide some shade. That's all you have to do.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 15:48

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all SO much for your help!!

I will cut the greenery back, buds, water them well since it is sandy soil but, I did add a large bag of Miracle Grow Garden soil for each plant along with compost I mixed in. The majority of the plant is in organic soil, not the sandy stuff on top so I will water them well but just enough to make a pool around it and let it soak in, unless I should do it differently.

Also, I will put cardboard around them to keep them shaded for a while until they get stronger.

To confirm how I should prune them, I do not want to cut the wood stems, just the greenery, yes?

I'll get started pruning as soon as I am certain what to cut and get some boxes ready for them tomorrow.

I am so grateful for your help, thank you!

Lisa

This post was edited by swedeone on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 16:54

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Yes just cut the young tender stuff which have lots of leaves.
    Nik

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Nik,

I will do that, thank you!

Lisa

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

I can see you've tried to do the right things, and you're concerned. All good advice above.

I know it's beautiful when the new leaves and buds come out, but there's not enough roots right now to support that much top growth. You need to help the plant survive right now, while it's making roots, by cutting or pinching that back some, IMHO. Just the greenery, yes.

I bet it's warm if you are in S. FL., I'm in N.FL. and some sunny afternoons have gotten in the 80's. They need some shade while roots are getting established. You gotta be creative sometimes about making shade.

The way you have described how they came, I think you may have grafted roses. Bare root maybe, but not own root. There's a difference. (very 1st thing that confused me when I 1st discovered the world of roses) It's ok and that's a lesson for another day, just need to keep them alive right now. (Did the bags have their name?)

Read your garden soil bag. Does it contain fertilizer? Sometimes not the best thing for roses with no roots.

Looks like you have pretty sandy soil all around. A couple light sprinklings with the hose to cool everything off and humidify the area has helped me in the past with things like this. And mulch. All around. Really makes a difference.

Good luck. Have faith. Roses are pretty tough.
    I like the ring aroung the birdbath, should be very pretty.
    Donna

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

If you have sandy soil in south Florida, read up on root knot nematodes. If you have them, you probably should be planting roses on Fortuniana rootstock. Also, as everyone said, some shade cloth if they're in full sun all day.

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Garden3garden,

It is warm, we never really had a winter, it was like three days of cool weather and then back to warm, more like June right now than February.

It is difficult to cut greenery off the roses, even buds like you said but I want them to be wonderful.

I will be getting mulch tomorrow, the sand around the area has to be put back and I am going to add a bit more compost to it. I'll be watering, making shade for them and hoping that they like their new environment, eventually!

Thank you for your reply!

Lisa

• swedeone
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Floridarosez9,

I will read about that, thank you!

Lisa

• Celeste78
    9 years ago

I've just experienced a similar problem and wasn't sure if I should just ask about it on this thread or start a new one? Not sure what the proper etiquette is on this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Deep South Texas and have just started a rose garden. I bought 3 rose bushes at Sam's Club and just planted them in the ground Sunday. Prior to planting them I noticed that what I assume to be new stems or canes (not sure if theirs a difference) are bright green and soft to the touch. The ends have buds but are severely wilted. When I removed the bush from it's container I noticed that the roots were white but very thin almost like string and very saturated. I planted them with a compost/manure mixture and watered. Should I cut back these bright green stems/canes or leave them be?

• gardenper
    9 years ago

The OP's pictures had lots of new growth...it was almost like a plant that had been planted already in the ground for a while.

Most people have answered about that, so I'll answer a bit about your case, Celeste.

What you describe sounds like some very young and new growth. I think it would be OK to leave it on there but it wouldn't hurt to remove it either. However, before you remove it, observe how it looks in the next few days. If it seems fine, then leave it on.

At this point, however, I would say you could safely remove the buds. Let the plant get some roots and more leaves first.

• Celeste78
    9 years ago

Thank you. Should I cut it down to where it becomes weak? The leaves on the wilted part are brown, curled, and drooping. Also, how often should I water them? They got a good watering when I planted them and they have full afternoon sun.

I have another bush that is still in the container that has some red leaves. What causes this? They are at the top of the plant. The leaves in middle and bottom of plant are green.

This post was edited by Celeste78 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:18

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Celeste, the red leaves are new growth. This commonly occurs with many rose plants, the young growth is red than turns green as it matures. No worries about that. If the leaves are brown, yes prune them off but other than that give it a bit of time. If you haven't mulched definitly do that, and once mulched once a day watering until they are well established. I like to water early in the day and dont' wet the whole plant, water at the base.

• Celeste78
    9 years ago

Glad to hear the red leaves are just new growth. I'll definitely water the roses daily until they are established. How do you knew when they are established?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Wait about a month and then see if they don't look more perky and stronger in growth. If so, they are getting established and you can quit worrying. : )

Kate

• Celeste78
    9 years ago

Thank you. I went ahead and cut the stems that were wilted. They had become shriveled as well. I noticed that some of the leaf tips were black. Almost like they were burned. I think I'm going to shade them during the hottest part of the day until they get stronger.

• Celeste78
    9 years ago

It's been about 10 days since I last posted. The canes are looking a little better. I'm just noticing that the young stems are looking charred even though I'm shading them during the hottest part of the day. Should I fertilize them? Should I continue to water daily?

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz