Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About Deja Blu

I bought a large potted Deja Blu today at Lowe's. I thought Deja Blu was a mini flora, but the bush looks like a floribunda - great big stems - and the blooms also look like the size of a floribunda. This doesnt look like any miniflora I have ever seen - or was it a miniflora on steroids?? The color looks the same as on Helpmefind - the roses were blooming. I am a bit confused - has anyone else seen this rose at Lowes? Is it possible for a miniflora to get as big as a floribunda? Its a beautiful, healthy rose - lovely color - am excited to find it. The tag said "My Bouquet" - Deja Blu.

Judith

Comments (13)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

At Lowes? Wow!

Yes. many minifloras are as large as floribundas. The hybridizer, Frank Benardella, liked his minifloras to be on the large side. You should see Leading Lady, it makes some of my hybrid teas look puny! Enjoy, Deja Blu is a beautiful rose.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    13 years ago

I've had Deja Blu just one year. My plant is still quite small, but the stems, leaves, and blooms are about comparable to floribudnas. Not too many clusters, though; more hybrid-tea-style. That's why it still makes sense to call it miniflora. And as mentioned, Leading Lady looks even bigger. There really are no concrete rules about rose classes. The hybridizers get to call them what they like. So voila! Deja Blu and Leading Lady are both minifloras. : )

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Yep, our Lowe's had Benardella mini-floras also, in peat pots, and they looked VERY healthy. Our Lowe's carried Powerhouse and Double Take. I've grown Deja Blu for several years and I really like it. Won some trophies at rose shows with it also.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Dang, I'm moving! ;-))
    No way we're seeing any of those out here.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So glad to hear the good news on this rose! It has lots of fat buds, ready to open. I have never seen a miniflora this big - love the color. I will keep checking with Lowes - maybe they will get in more in different colors!
    Judith

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

I've been seeing Deja Blu at the rose shows for a couple of years now and really liked it. This year I finally gave in and have one coming from Heirloom. I seriously doubt our Lowes will have anything other then their usual Knock Outs, but now that I'm alerted to the possiblilty of nice minis I'll be on the look out......Maryl

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I think I need to hustle out to Lowe's.

• particentral
    13 years ago

My Lowes had Heirloom, New Day and Chrysler Imperial. that was it. Not even any knockouts.

• Kathy
    13 years ago

No minifloras in peat pots in the two Lowes' stores nearest to us (both in Ocala) either. I took the item number and they looked it up for me in the garden center -- nothing came up. So I'm just going to have to be patient and wait for my Rosemania order (nine minifloras, two of them on fortuniana) and my two orders from K&M (1 floribunda, 2 minifloras, 5 HTs, all on fortuniana).

It will be interesting to see how big minifloras get on fortuniana rootstock -- I've always grown them in pots. I miss my two bushes of Leading Lady (sold out from K&M and CoolRoses).

• flowerpig
    10 years ago

I have a Deja Blu which I bought at Rona (Canadian version of Loew's). It looks to me like a floribunda. Tons of huge blooms. So gorgeous. The blooms are so fragrant and the most interesting shade of corally pink. Got it on sale. So happy with it!!!

• harmonyp
    10 years ago

My Lowes had a grouping of these last fall. I was hesitant as I had never seen them before, but the few blooms on Flawless really captured me and I picked her up. This is Flawless with her first blooms this spring. I LOVE her, and may grab some more if I find them again. Flawless doesn't have fragrance, but otherwise - she is flawless.

{{gwi:231938}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I picked my Flawless up at Lowes 3 years ago. It does produce very nice blooms. I discovered that the fullness of the bush when I first purchased it was due to the fact that they had put 4 bushes in the same pot. Separated out the "bushiness" was greatly reduced, and to this day it is not a particularly leafy bush. However the flowers keep coming, and are such a pretty shade of pink that it's growth pattern has so far been ignored. It has also proven to have better then average disease resistance. Short, large flowered roses are perfect for some landscaping situations (containers too) and usually hard to find. FLawless is a good example of one....Maryl

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I just ran across this thread. I just returned home, from Lowe's, with Deja blu. I am really curious as to how yours did. I also saw flawless but left it behind since I wasn't planning on grabbing the 2 I did. :)

I hope your Deja Blu has been thriving since!
    ~René