Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these a good choice?

Posted by thahalibut Z-9 CA, SSZ-9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 20:55

I am getting ready to order some roses (first time online ordering roses), are these good choices for Sacramento?

Distant drums
Quietness
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Siren's Keep
October moon
Rose de Rescht
Frederic Mistral
Mother of pearl

Any other I should consider?
ty
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these a good choice?

I have grown Distant Drums in Chico Ca for six years and it has done great. Vigorous and low maintenance, just fertilize and prune. It's my favorite of the Buck roses. Blooms through the high heat summers but the flowers get smaller of course. It is a very unusual color, starts out blended with tans, pinks, and lavenders and ages to pale lavender. Very lovely. Haven't grown any of the others. Mary

o

Quietness and Souvenir de la Malmaison are superb plants, including quite beautiful. Paler more serene colors.

Have heard good things about Frederic Mistral and Mother of Pearl, but have never grown them myself.

I hope you aren't too late on those orders. Many of us put in our spring online orders before Xmas--some people do it early autumn. When I ordered right after Xmas, a couple I wanted were already sold out at several nurseries I usually order from. Think I ordered the last Munstead Woods from Reagan--tried to get two, but they said they only had one left--and that was 6 weeks ago.

Good luck with your order. Looks like an excellent selection to me.

Kate

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 10:33

Not in your climate but Quietness is a lovely large shrub for me so it will probably be even more so for you in your mild climate. The other one I have is RdR and it's an OK rose for me but not particularly healthy. For me it's very prone to blackspot.

o

Hi Tim

I'm also not in your zone, but you have a terrific list of roses all of which have done well for me, with the exception of SouvenirDLM that didn't overwinter for me. Reports are that it's great in many parts of CA. In particular, I'm liking Siren's Keep and October Moon. The Barden roses in general are intriguing flowers, and these two seem to be living up to their reputation as tough and frequently blooming roses. Do leave lots of room for Frederick Mistral - even in my zone he tops out over 6' and in California he's definitely back of the bed. SDLM and Distant drums are shorter for me, though that may differ for you.

Cynthia

o

I plan on getting them all!
Kate is right, I am too late for some but I will be the first to order for next year. HCR has half of what I want plus I found others to buy browsing their site.
Thanks!
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here