Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Pollination Question

Posted by sunnyboymaniac none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 20:58

I have a friend who thinks the wild roses on her property are 'ruining' her hybrid tea roses by pollinating them. I think she has suckers coming up from her rootstock. She says that because the wild roses are pollinating her tea roses the tea roses are now producing different looking flowers that resemble the wild roses. Upon further questioning she said the new roses were 'coming up' around her tea roses. I told her I'm almost certain that a plant cannot be genetically altered by being pollinated but she is convinced, and is threatening to tear out the well-established and beautiful wild roses growing near her home. She lives in France and I have never been there, let alone gardened there, but I'm still pretty sure those wild roses aren't hurting her tea roses.

Help me help her!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Pollination Question

You are correct. "Wild rose pollen" pollinating her HTs and other roses will have no altering effects on her roses or we couldn't breed new roses because the pollen put ON the ones used as seed parents would change them. Perhaps you might use the analogy that her father "pollinating" her mother to produce her did not change her mother genetically. Neither will wild pollen change her planted roses. It's the same thing, sexual reproduction where sperm fertilizes eggs, resulting in either infants or seeds.

The possible explanations could be:

1. Her roses have root stock suckers emerging from below their bud unions, which may resemble 'wild roses' to her compared to what she has come to expect from her roses. These might actually be wild roses if her roses are budded on some wild rose used to provide the roots for her plants.

2. Seeds from the "wild roses" around her are blown in, washed in, bird-dropped in to where she has her roses planted and are germinating around her roses, where, probably, the soil is better amended and more water and fertilizer are used, making it more beneficial for them to germinate and grow.

3. If the wild roses are of a type which suckers, sends out under ground runners, they may have been drawn to the area because there is more water and other necessary resources. They could be suckering into her rose beds.

But, I promise, any wild rose pollen applied to her rose bushes will not alter them any further than creating hips, fruit, just as any wild pollen blown or brought to her apple trees will not change her apples to "wild types". Only the seedlings germinated from the resulting seed will be altered by the "wild roses". I hope it helps you explain to her what she's potentially seeing. Kim

o

I agree with Kim! Good explanation.

o

Thank you, Karl! Kim

o

Hi, can I add another question to this thread?

If a virus rose is crossed with a non-virus rose, will the non-virus rose be infected with the virus (i.e RMV) and will the virus be passed onto its offspring?

o

I'm sorry Jimmy, that one I can't answer. You might want to read the thread about the Best Nursery for virus free plants at the link below to get more information about that question. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: What's the best nursery free of rose virus...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here