Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Your Help Requested on Mixing Types

treehugger101
9 years ago

I am doing a new rose bed and could really use your design ideas. I would like to do lavender and apricot. Right now, I have selected different roses in each color. They range from 3' to 5'. Some are shrub roses and some are hybrid teas. I think what I should be doing is getting three each of one rose but I thought it would be helpful to test different roses and see what works here. What do you think? Should add something? Take something away? All were selected for amazing fragrance and supposed disease resistance.

The roses I selected are:

Apricot:

The Lady Gardener - DA
Carding Mill - DA
Port Sunlight - DA

Lavender:

-Blue for you - 3'
-Neptune 4'
- 4' Hybrid tea from my garden with a lost tag. I think it is Moonlight something. Amazing fragrance.
-Enchanted Evening - Floribunda - 3-4'
-Sweetness - Huge 5+' Grandiflora

I can't figure out how to arrange this. The Blue For You is too short compared to all the others. Should I leave it out maybe?

Thanks, everyone!!! I really appreciate your knowledge and experience!!!

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I like your idea of testing different roses to see what works in your garden. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to determine how big roses will get, and how they do re diseases, and how fragrant they are, is to grow them in your own garden. The more years I grow roses, the more I realize that generic descriptions are useless, and local conditions are what determines everything. So, I would plant all of them, then wait at least 4-5 years to see how they do.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I also wouldn't plant three of each until you have a handle on how each variety grows, how well it does in your climate and how much you like it. The only one I've grown in your list is Carding Mill which was a wonderful rose in every way, although in my hot and dry climate I didn't detect a great deal of fragrance.

I've heard that Blue for You is a very good rose but again don't know how well it would do for you.

I would plant the roses in staggered rows in such a way that the two colors are evenly distributed across and along the bed. I would also suggest some companion plants to break up the all-rose theme and to give a softer and less cookie-cutter look. Roses on their own can often look a little boring. I like reblooming irises in my warm garden (they may not rebloom as often or at all in a cold climate) for foliage contrast and whatever else does well in your area. You might want to add some white small-flowered companions to break up the lavender-apricot theme. I hope you'll post pictures when your roses are blooming. It will be interesting to see how your idea has worked out. The two colors should look very nice together.

Ingrid

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I also wouldn't plant three of each until you have a handle on how each variety grows, how well it does in your climate and how much you like it. The only one I've grown in your list is Carding Mill which was a wonderful rose in every way, although in my hot and dry climate I didn't detect a great deal of fragrance.

I've heard that Blue for You is a very good rose but again don't know how well it would do for you.

I would plant the roses in staggered rows in such a way that the two colors are evenly distributed across and along the bed. I would also suggest some companion plants to break up the all-rose theme and to give a softer and less cookie-cutter look. Roses on their own can often look a little boring. I like reblooming irises in my warm garden (they may not rebloom as often or at all in a cold climate) for foliage contrast and whatever else does well in your area. You might want to add some white small-flowered companions to break up the lavender-apricot theme. I hope you'll post pictures when your roses are blooming. It will be interesting to see how your idea has worked out. The two colors should look very nice together.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Your apricots are all DAs. No matter what size any place says they'll be count on them being larger, even in a cold zone. And most DAs have a bushier, shrubby growth habit and some will want to climb if you let them. In most winters mine have been green almost to the tips so they required little pruning in the spring.

All your lavenders are modern HTs and floris. They may get some height but they'll never be as bushy as the DAs And as a rule you'll have to prune them pretty low every spring due to winter die back.

I'd put the DAs to the back and the moderns in front. That should give you the best access to them for care and viewing.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie, I seem to be doing that a lot. Planting and seeing what happens. As a result I have three crazy Heritage in front of my back door and I have had to move roses every year. It's hard on the roses and some don't make it but what to do? My lavender HT is on his third move in 3 years. Thanks for your help.

Terri

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, Thanks for the idea of staggering them. It's going to be tricky because if I focus on where the color goes the height will be messed up. I usually plant daylilies in my rose beds but they take years to look like anything. I do grow reblooming iris. That's a good idea.Thanks,

Terri

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil, Thanks. I think you are right. All of my DA's are monsters. Thanks for the idea on placement, too.

Terri

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

I don't grow it, but I've heard BLUE FOR YOU can get quite tall, 6'7" as per HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue for You on HMF

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jasminerose4u. That person is in Japan and states the rose gets between 3' and 6' 7". I guess this is another reason to just plant and see.