Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleygold_gw

Planting Roses and herbs together???

shelleygold
15 years ago

Hi I'm new to planting roses and was wondering if anybody has any experience/knowledge about planting climbing roses and herbs in the same bed?

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

If you wish to spray the roses for fungal disease or a severe insect infestation, doing so with a not-approved-for-edible-crops chemical becomes impossible, unless you are not planning to use the herbs in cooking.

Other than that, not a problem.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

I have the following with my roses: oregano, thyme, sage, marjoram, cilantro, dill, parsley, mint, onions, garlic, lettuces (mixes and various), arugula, and mustards. They do great and I plan to continue inter planting, as I have over 50 roses!

I do not spray anything on them other than water when they get aphids. The water also attracts the lady bugs, but I have lots of lady bugs from other insect attracting plants.

• roseman
    15 years ago

It's not a god idea to plant anything edible with roses in the same bed or close by, because roses need spraying to keep BS at bay. If the spray could cause you or anyone else physical harm, you should not do it. Unfortunately, there are many poeople who feel that if here is any space left over in a rose bed or garden, it should be filled to the gills with something. Not cool. Either you have roses or you have edibles, but not together.

• nickelsmumz8
    15 years ago

*Not all roses need spraying.

*I felt that it would not be such a great idea to plant some of the woody herbs with roses as they had differing water requirements. I'm most specifically thinking of rosemary and lavender. Maybe this differs if you live in a Mediterranean climate, where I lived when I had these herbs in my garden. Enough water for a rose would not have been so hot for the rosemary and lavender.

-Greta

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

I grow lavender and catmint with my roses, but not right up close to them, more to the front. That way, I can water my roses without touching them. I do water the old-fashioned way, with a hose though (no rationing here yet) so it's much easier to be selective.
    Judith

• hershigrl
    15 years ago

Careful with the mint. It is very invasive.

• york_rose
    15 years ago

(DON'T PLANT SPEARMINT OR PEPPERMINT WITH THE ROSES. YOU'LL NEVER GET RID OF THEM!)

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Up here, catmint (Nepeta) is not invasive, just spreads a little, and is easily controlled. I would never plant regular mint in my garden either, but I don't think catmint is as invasive as they are. Since you are in a different zone, though, it could be more problematic for you. In that case, better to stick with the lavender:)
    Judith

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

My favorite combo is roses with lavender.
    But only where drainage is near perfect, and only with the lavender variety, 'Provence'.

Randy

• prairielaura
    15 years ago

I favor sages with roses---just bought some "Hotlips" and some "Big Pink" and some "Indigo Spires" to mingle with the roses....if they don't freeze tonight!!
    Laura

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Spraying roses for anything, including blackspot, is optional, not necessary. Some roses don't even get blackspot. And rugosa roses can't tolerate spraying. Also, if you use drip irrigation, you can have more variety because each plant gets the water it needs. Rule of thumb, the Mediterranean herbs, including garlic and chives, need about the same frequency of water as established roses (lots of people overwater roses).