Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

need recommendations for no spray cold hardy roses

pappu
10 years ago

Hi! I was an active member here until about 5-6 years ago when I had to sell my house and moved to an apartment in Texas. Now I am back in central Illinois with a new yard, ready to start again! I have been out of touch with the rose world and need to catch up. what would you recommend for disease resistant, hardy roses? I read that Kordes has completely changed its line up and am hoping the Austins are more resistant. I do remember that "Quietness" was an outstanding performer in my previous garden. What are your fav online sources? Thanks

Comments (17)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Welcome back, pappu. Posters have periodically inquired about where you were--and they still pull up your fantastic photos of your roses. In fact, they have become somewhat legendary!

Here's a couple cold hardy, disease-resistant, bloomiferous roses you might want to consider.

I've been pushing Austin's Lady of Shalott--
    {{gwi:232521}}

and here is my favorite Austin: Munstead Wood--
    {{gwi:217616}}

Here's link to a post about John Davis--just gorgeous!
    John Davis.

Hope that gets you started.

And welcome back--again. : )

Kate

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Take a look at the Easy Elegance series of roses, below is a link to a previous tread on GW about them. Also look for ADR rate roses, this is a German testing program to ID roses with good disease resistance. Edmund's Roses has a few ADR's & the Canadian companies, Palatines & Pickering, have several as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Easy Elegance tread

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Pappu, I hope I didn't mislead you on Munstead Wood. I just happened to notice that HMF has it listed as Zone 6. Don't know if that is a realistic figure or not since HMF often seems to list Zone 6 as a default zone for many roses. Usually I think of Austin roses as being hardy to Zone 5. I'm just not sure about Munstead Wood. If it isn't hardy to Zone 5, that would be unfortunate --it is a gorgeous color!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Hi Pappu, welcome back!

Yes, my Quietness is very healthy and hardy and should do well for you. The other one that's been really good for me is Julia Child. Blooms like crazy, is winter hardy and one of my healthiest roses.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

Pappu, welcome back!! I remember your stunning garden pics and of course, the alfalfa fertilizer thread! I grow primarily climbers and for hardiness, nothing beats the Canadian explorer series. I forget how to post pics, but I'm sure other folks have pics that they can share.

• onewheeler
    10 years ago

Like you Pappu I too have been on the move and away from the forum for a long time. I can tell you though the roses that I found most hardy in my no spray gardens over the years......My most favorite is Viking Queen. Ramblin Red is a close second. Felix Leclerc, Jacques Cartier, John Cabot, Tradescant, James Galaway, New Dawn, Sidione, Charlotte are a few of the ones I grew for several years with no spray whatsoever. I don't mind a few brown leaves and I squash any bugs I find on the leaves. Of course all of the gallicas and rugosas are hardy but the rugosas do get some spots, they hate being sprayed though so that works for me. There are more, I just can't think of their names right now.

Valerie

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

Pappu - I don't have any rose recommendations to make because our climates are so different but I did want to say - welcome back !

I remember poring for hours over your pictures all the while wiping the drool. I still vividly can see in my mind your picture of the orange roses near the Stop sign. And, your Alfalfa fertilizer thread is legendary. You had a host of people waiting with bated breath and a mixture of anticipation and dread for your next update!

So glad you have the opportunity to garden again.

Jo

This post was edited by jo_pyeweed on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 19:50

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

Pappu, welcome back to central Illinois. I am located in Pekin-Tremont area, and grow about 200+ roses.

'Munstead Wood' and 'Quietness' are winter hardy here. 'MW' is grafted but 'Quietness' is ownroot from ARE and is outstanding in terms of health and non-stop bloom.

Another rose that I grow and I highly recommend if you have the space and are looking for a punch of color is 'Thomas Affleck'. It is a Pioneer rose from ARE and is always loaded with big fat dark pink blooms. It gets about 7' tall and 5' or so wide, but can easily be trimmed. I've found bird nests in it.

Again, welcome back; you have been missed!

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Hi Naveed, it has been a long time indeed!

I am sorry to hear that you had to leave your wonderful garden and roses behind, but am happy to hear you will be starting anew.

I can't comment on most of the newer Austins released since about 2009. However, I have been slowly replacing most of my old garden roses with the newer varieties from Kordes and especially those with an ADR certification. While not all of them are completely bullet-proof, the vast majority are exceptional roses in terms of vigour and disease resistance. Unfortunately, many of them lack strong fragrance which I remember was an important criteria for you in some roses. This is really the only area that Austin is doing better than Kordes currently and that may soon be changing as Kordes is now focusing on scent and have launched a new series of scented roses in Europe with the old fashioned bloom form.

To start, take a look at the Fairytale series and the Vigorosa series from Kordes and also his newer climber introductions.

All the best and take care for now.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

My goodness that picture of Munstead Wood is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I tried to get that rose this year, but it was sold out.

Pappu - welcome back! I definitely remember your stunning over the top blooms!! Quantity and quality!!

John Davis is a wonderful rose. Talk about a lot of blooms. Really nice!

You might want to try Rosarium Uetersen. Rated at Helpmefind as 4b. You should look it up!
    Carol

• andreark
    10 years ago

Pappu!!!

I am new to the forum since about 2012. I did a search of 'roses spring flush' and came up with your FAMOUS post of 2008. I started with 6 bushes 18 months ago and now have 32. I am smitten...I spoil my roses just like I spoil my pups.

And Now!! What on earth were you doing to make them so prolific and healthy? I wish you a wonderful garden and look forward to seeing your photos in future.

andreark

• User
    10 years ago

Pappu,

Like Andreark, I am a newbie as well and saw your FAMOUS post 2008. I too look forward to more pictures of your garden as well!

Mark

• mailshadowfax
    10 years ago

Welcome back !!!! I too have loved your picture and the Alfalfa fertilizer thread !!!
    If you do not Mind some blackspot mid season, Zepherin Drouhin is ok...
    Sombreuil has No Blackspot what so ever even though she is right next to my zephy (She can mildew some in very rainy spring though)..

I too am yet to experiment with the kordes roses...

• mailshadowfax
    10 years ago

this is my zephy last year.. I hope she will be ok this year too.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Looking good, mailshadow!

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I remember that sea of orange livin easy roses you had before pappu . Best of luck with your new garden! :)