Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin1962_gw

Heaven on Earth Rose

Kevin1962
12 years ago

Hello,

I'm new here, and new to rose gardening. I've been doing a great deal of research so that I'm as informed as one can hope to be when first getting started.

I live in Zone 4, which will certainly provide both opportunities and challenges when it comes to roses.

I found a photo and description of a rose by the name of "Heaven on Earth" that I would love to try, but cannot find a single source for it. Would any of you who've been working with roses for some time, know of a source for it? Alternately might some of you have this Floribunda, and be willing to share cuttings with me?

Best regards,

Kevin

Le Sueur, MN.

Comments (53)

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

I have tried twice now to get this rose. Once from the J&P catalog in 2010 and once from Armstrong in 2011 ( who got it from J&P). Both times I have waited to find it bloomed with an ugly orangy semidouble bloom. Not the picture I have seen in the catalog or on Help Me Find. Something is wrong. If anyone knows where to get the REAL Heaven on Earth please let me know. J&Ps orangy thing - both of them were exactly the same- is not the right plant at all. When Heaven first came out I saw it at an overpriced nsy...wish I had bought it then.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    12 years ago

Hi kittymoombeam,
    You may have had the real Heaven on Earth all along. The blooms on mine started out quite orangey, but then progressed to a lovely peach as they aged. It did produce a multi colored effect on the bush, which was ok. For a while it was one of my favorite roses, but about two summers ago, it started to spontaneously die back, something no other rose of mine has done, and I sp'd it the following spring (with regret). I purchased it from a local-and wonderful-greenhouse/nursery. Diane

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I got mine from Roses Unlimited.

The flower is gorgeous and fragrant. The plant was still floppy at the end of its second year, but people say it outgrows that. It is blackspot resistant for some growers, but not in my garden. (hardly any repeat bloomers are resistant for me.)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I would go with Angel Gardens or Roses Unlimited. Both are privately owned family nurseries and the owners (Pat & Pam) would be willing to give you personal help & even some other reccomendations. They are two of the best nurseries that I've ordered from. Also, look at High Country, they specialize in cold hardy roses and carry a number of the Canadian bred roses.
    ~Tammy

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

I think this was a different rose. There were nowhere near the number of petals it should have had. The entire bloom shape was all wrong. I waited to see if things would improve but it kept producing the semidouble orange flowers. I thought it could have been a sport of HOE and tried to buy it from another seller the next year. 27 bucks later, the very same thing again. I still have it but I think its the wrong rose J&P sent to Armstrong.

• john_ca
    12 years ago

I got Heaven On Earth from S&W Greenhouse in the spring of 2011;unfortunately, they do not appear to be selling it this year.

The petal count in the earliest flowers did not appear to as high as it was in the specimen we obtained from J&P several years ago when we lived in TX. As the plant grew, the flowers began to look more like the one we had earlier in TX. I do know that petal count is affected by temperature in at least some varieties: blooms developing and opening in cooler temperatures have more petals than roses from the same plant in the heat of summer.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

I did not prune it this year. I will just let it get bigger and see what happens in the spring in cool weather. The one I saw at Roger's Gardens years ago in a 5 gallon size had the big fluffy pinky peach blooms. That led me to think that size of plant had no effect on the way the flowers were and these are quite orange. By the way, Lady Jane from Heirloom is orange for me in summer and only pink blend in spring and winter so perhaps I really do have HOE after all. It just looks so totally different. I wish I could compare how the stems and thorns look with another plant.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Welcome to GW!! Get ready for a big, big addiction. You will love it!! I am not in your zone but have to say I love my Heaven On Earth. I loved it so much I bought a second one. I looked at the nurseries I purchase fron and its not available. I tried Regans, Palatine, Pickering, Chamblees and S&W. You might could try calling some of them just to see for sure whether they have it. Mine has never been orange. Its always a beautiful peachy color and gorgeous. Its bud is darker but peach when it opens. Mine did have floppy canes the first year but has gotten better every year. Theres still a few floppy ones towards the bottom but the majority of them stay up. Good luck in your hunt. Its well worth it. Judy

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Although, this rose has grown and wintered well in my zone 3, it has not at all been the beauty I had expected, very large petalled blooms of a rather nondescript coloring and set upon shiny foliage all speckled and defoliated by blackspot ...

Terrance

• particentral
    12 years ago

I threatened to SP mine the first year but last year OMG it turned into a strong, stunning bush. GORGEOUS fragrant blooms that are always blooming. Sometimes its orangey, sometimes its peachy....it looks great next to my Easy Does It.

• vickysgarden
    12 years ago

I grow this rose, and have found it to have both pink and peach colored blooms. they are SO huge that someone visiting thought it was surely a peony bush...they could not believe it when I insisted it was a rose! I purchased mine locally a couple years ago. It is a beautiful rose, not too big in size but big, beautiful blooms!

• idixierose
    12 years ago

I'm not sure when the Heaven on Earth in my garden was planted -- probably in spring 2010 -- but it still has a bad case of flopitis and the bush is small-- inspire of regular and generous feeding.

I didn't prune the bush last year because it was so small, but I did prune it back by abut a third this year, removing the smallest canes and twigs, leaving the four most sturdy canes. At the beginning of its third year, the canes are about 12 inches high.

I've considered digging it up and putting it in a pot. Sometimes that helps. at any rate, it would keep the blooms off the ground.

The blooms on mine are apricot pink in color, large, fully double, with
    ruffled petals.

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

Just got my first blooms of the year and it was very cool when the flowers formed. They are the same as I described earlier and the same as they look in Summer. :(

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I wonder if this rose does better on a rootstock. Mine is an own-root and not very vigorous.

• rebeccah_2009
    12 years ago

I was reading somewhere on the web(can't remember where) That Heaven on Earth was also the Memorial Day Rose. Anybody else ever saw that anywhere?

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

Memorial Day is an orchid pink tall HT rose with straight stiff stems and Heaven On Earth is much shorter with often nodding stems. Also, my Memorial Day is one pink all over while Heaven is a blended color rose as described by others and from the pictures I have seen.

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

Any updates on availability of Heaven on Earth in 2013? I'm waiting on an answer from Roses Unlimited. That may take awhile. I realize that J& P has it and I bought two from them several years ago. With all the changes they have gone through and a friend's unsuccessful order last year I'm a little leery of ordering there again. Angel Gardens, S& W, High Country, and Palatine are not carrying it. It is great in my hot summer climate with late day shade. The older it gets the more it blooms. Great for the front of a bed. I prune it lightly now and sometimes leave the inside buds so that it will sprawl less. Yes the blooms nod a bit but it's so lovely here. Mary

• Kippy
    11 years ago

How funny, my boss has a driveway with a bunch of these roses. Just today (and after an uninformed pruning-left only the very old canes and removed everything healthy and young) Because the only thing left is the old canes, I could find the tag.

When does the patent expire? Issued 10/2004 so guessing 10/2025. Ask me then and I will be happy to try and start some cuttings.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Mine, about 6 years old, is a beautiful pink apricot, ovoid large buds. No fragrance and mildly Bs prone. A beautiful prolific rose in Chicago. Wish it had fragrance. Opened flowers exactly as shown on hmf.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I think this is a rose that can do beautifully in certain climates, but not very good in a lot more, kind of a spotty performance, and for me it wasn't very good, with the floppy canes, petal count that seemed to decrease as it aged, and finally, as I mentioned a year ago, it just spontaneously started dying back in the middle of the summer. This was the first rose I ever sp'd, something I do rarely. Maybe some of these problems occurred too often with too many people and the rose was withdrawn from commerce. Diane

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

An update on my special order HOE plant that J&P sent Armstrong. A year later is is the same ugly orange semi double that it has ever been. Also, it is very short and weak. I have given it long enough- never pruned it and observed it in all kinds of weather. This is the same ugly rose that J&P catalog sent the first time I tried to buy this plant. If anyone got a fluffy apricot/peach/pink powderpuff recently from another source, please let me know and I will try again.

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

Thank you for the offer of clippings but the patent is still ongoing. Very kind offer though. I just got a response from Roses Unlimited and they have them. Probably small, but healthy I would imagine. I really had to baby the two sad ones I got from J&P. It took two years to get them going right, but now at four and five years they look like the pics that Kathy from Norcal submitted. Maybe something about zone9 and that they don't get afternoon sun. The summers are blazing here but I seem to have luck with Kordes roses in this hot dry climate. Huge flowers on the hottest of days. Go figure. Not a lot of people's favorites, maybe because their heads are too big for the stems. This one works for me because it stays low and doesn't become a monster like most everything else here. Mine are disease free with no treatment and get better every year, especially if I prune to an inside bud and push them to go higher instead of wider. Mary

• robynb
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting the Roses Unlimited update!!! I have been looking for Heaven On Earth for a couple years, and I just ordered two from them. I bought a J&P HOE from a nursery about 5 years ago, and she was one of my all-time favorite roses until she died of unknown causes last year. She was sickly first, and just died. I'm going to put the two new ones somewhere else and pray that they make it. Thank you again for directing me to Roses Unlimited!!

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I yanked that plant and put in a Liv Tyler in the spot until I can find a good HOE. No it's not dead. It's in a 5 gallon can surrounded by marigolds to be sold for a dollar at my garage/ plant sale as " unknown orange rose "

It has kept me from buying from J&P though but I will say that the Enchanted Evening that came in the order with the orangey dud rose has been very pretty.

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

robynb I hope you like your HOE's. I normally don't have multiples of any one rose but these additional three will go on a two foot elevated rock wall bed where I already have one that is just the right front of the bed height. They have always bloomed amazingly well and nod a bit so they look good elevated. Hopefully they do as well on their own roots as they do budded.

• robynb
    10 years ago

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if Roses Unlimited sent me the wrong rose. I received my two from them a few months ago, and potted them up to 2 gallon pots. They just bloomed, and the blooms are not at all like my original J&P HOE. These blooms are pale, smaller, and not as full. Very unimpressive. Shall I try to link photos of the blooms to see if anyone here has an opinion? I'll call Roses Unlimited but not sure how responsive they will be? I usually order from Heirloom Roses in Oregon and I've never had this issue with them.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Mine

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

My three new HOE's from Roses Unlimited are doing well and handling the heat. The blooms do seem slightly smaller than my two five year old budded HOE's but the colors are true. Form and color of all five bushes resemble Susan's picture. Maybe climate variance?

Mary

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Don't we wish it had fragrance ?

• robynb
    10 years ago

Looks like I spoke too soon. As the bushes get bigger, the blooms are improving. Still not quite the size and color of my J&P HOE, but closer. I am much happier than I was a couple months ago :-)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Susan, it is very fragrant to me.

My plant is finally standing up fairly well.

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

Glad to hear that Robyn. Hope mine will follow suit. The new ones are breezing through the summer heat. They are droopy plants when they are young but I am assuming that the three new ones will stand up taller like my older budded HOE's after a year or so. Maybe if the flowers are a little smaller they wont be so bobble headed. Mary

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Michael I am burying my nose in this rose and smell nothing but green. : C

• robynb
    10 years ago

Mine have very minimal scent also. Maybe a slight herbal / citrus scent, not floral at all. But I'm happy to say that one of the two I got this year now does look like Heaven On Earth, so I'm hopeful the other one will shape up soon.

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my beautiful Heaven on Earth rose, and it is fragrant as well!

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Another pic...if you can find this rose, I recommend it as easy to grow, prolific bloomer, hardy, gorgeous all season!

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

The color seems to vary for me from peachy to more pink.

• Tuggy3
    9 years ago

My additional 3 HOE's from Roses Unlimited 2013 are doing well. The flowers are slightly smaller than my on rootstock five year old ones from J&P. The bloom looks exactly the same otherwise. My five year olds are outgrowing their noddy heads and a tendency to sprawl but I still prune them to an inside bud . These bushes really fill up a space and bloom like crazy even in the heat. I expect these own root ones to be slow growers and maybe smaller bushes but they are already blooming well this year. Hope those who want them can get them this year.

• springroz
    9 years ago

vickysgarden, that is just gorgeous!

What is the white flower you have with it? It is such a pretty combination.

Thanks!

Nancy

• michaelg
    9 years ago

It took mine 4-5 years with staking to develop a self-supporting framework. Fortunately it is cane-hardy at least to zone 6, or else you'd never get a decent plant. If I had it to do over again, I would use a 6' tripod or tuteur to help it gain height. It needs to be tall because the flowers nod. Heed Tuggy's suggestion of cutting the drooping laterals back to an inside (upward-facing) bud after blooming/

Mine has been gorgeous this spring flush. It is really strange that some people can't smell it. My 73-year-old nose finds the perfume to be powerful and consistent. But different people have different sets of scent receptors.

I would describe the colors as apricot to mild orange, fading to beige at the end. In my climate it is not often pink.

This post was edited by michaelg on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:18

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Thank you, Nancy! It is planted near Husker Red Penstemon Digitalis, which reliably blooms at the same time as the roses each year in the late spring. After the white blooms are over, you can cut it back and the foliage still looks nice for the rest of the summer. It is called "red" because the foliage and stems sometimes appear to have a dark, maroon type color.

• grlfrnd12urchase1
    6 years ago

Hi all, I found Heaven on Earth roses at Roses Unlimited!! Just email them, they responded right away and were very affordable! Good Luck!!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Does anyone have updates on this Heaven on Earth Roses? I would love to see pictures if you have any to share. Also, what zones are you growing your Heaven on Earth roses? I’d like to grow it in Hot and Dry Southern California.

• vickysgarden
    3 years ago

This rose is still going strong for me in zone 5 Chicagoland, reliable returning each year with no more protection than shredded leaves at the base. It was purchased bare root.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Flowers & Vicky: Thank you for your responses. When you say floppy... do you just meant that the heads nod down?... or do you mean that the entire cane the bloom grows on wants to just flop onto the ground?... like Sonia Rykiel Rose growth habit? How big has it gotten for you? I need to figure out the best spot for it. Do your blooms last a long time on the plant and in a vase? Do you think it could thrive in the Southern California hot & dry summer heat in all day sun? Our sun can be quite scorching. I would love to see a picture of the entire bush if you happen to have it available. Thank you for your help.

• vickysgarden
    3 years ago

For me, it is heads nodding, not the whole bush, and in zone 5 it is about 3.5 to 4 ft. high.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

That's funny, Vicky, especially since we're both z5, but for me, it's entire canes, similar to Sonia Rykiel, probably due to different growing conditions. I have very poor soil. It's starting to be more upright, with just one cane lagging behind last year. Mine is about the same size as Vicky's. I don't have a whole bush shot. Right now, it's just sticks, barely starting to show a little growth.

We get triple digit dry heat in the summer and it does fine.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Vicky & Flowers: Thank you so much for sharing your experience and pictures about Heaven on Earth. There’s not a to. Of info out there about this rose... so everything you’re sharing is greatly appreciated. I’m hoping that being in Hot & Dry Coastal Southern California will cause it to display more of the pinkish-peach ice cream color... rather than Orange. One more question: someone mentioned that the blooms shatter rather quickly. Do you find this to be true? Do the blooms open and shatter quickly? Does it make a good long lasting cut flower. I get coastal breezes every afternoon... if this is true then this may not be the right Rose for me.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Ann, I never cut any for the house, so can't be certain about her vase life. I hope Vicky can give you a better answer. I agree about the color. She is soft peachy pink all season, but turned much deeper when the weather got super cold. I hope Diane sees this thread. She used to grow her and always gives good, detailed info.