Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don Juan Rose Bush

Posted by jrdelaney TX -Dallas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 22:38

Hello all!

Question: I have a Don Juan rose bush that is planted in an indirect sunlight spot, so it never gets full light. The problem is my yard faces only north, so I'm really limited where it can go. Will this cause the rose bush to die off eventually or just cause it not to bloom as much as it normally would?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don Juan Rose Bush

Roses need at least 6 hours of sun to bloom at their best, so my best guess would be that this rose wouldn't bloom like you would like. Can you move it to the other side of the house?

o

I lived in Dallas for 25 years and my experience was that roses did not do well in indirect light even though it's very hot there. I ended up with a lot more black spot and leggy low blooming plants in those areas of my yard. I did better with morning sun and dappled sun in the afternoon. I grow Don Juan in a hot area of California and it does well with at least a half day sun. Also my experience with it is that it needs a couple of years to really get going and bloom a lot. Mary

o

My backyard is small/our pet dog haven, and there really isn't a great spot for it. It's fenced in, so the only real place would be up against our back concrete patio, but not really ideal as it doesn't offer much room.

If I were to put a lamp on it for a few hours a day, would that supplement for the lack of direct sunlight?

o

How close is your Don Juan to your wall or a big window? I have a hybrid tea that was planted by the previous owners that only gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight. The thing is very healthy (8 feet tall, putting up brand new basals each year for the past two years) and blooms its head off from May to November.

My "theory" is that it gets all the light it needs from reflected light.

With a climber, you never know until further along the process. I would say give it another year or two, and no need to fret just yet. Good luck.

o

I had a Don Juan planted against the north wall of my house. It did very well for about 9 years and just last month it started to decline and I removed it. I may get another.

o

It's near our front door, so it doesn't even get any type of sunlight, other than indirect I assume. I bought a grow bulb to try if I notice it not growing as much as I like. We will see though! I did just plant it yesterday.

o

Don't bother with the light. There's no way you're realistically going to go outside and turn a light on it every day for years. I know I wouldn't anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here