Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrdelaney

Don Juan Rose Bush

jrdelaney
11 years ago

Hello all!

Question: I have a Don Juan rose bush that is planted in an indirect sunlight spot, so it never gets full light. The problem is my yard faces only north, so I'm really limited where it can go. Will this cause the rose bush to die off eventually or just cause it not to bloom as much as it normally would?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Comments (18)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Roses need at least 6 hours of sun to bloom at their best, so my best guess would be that this rose wouldn't bloom like you would like. Can you move it to the other side of the house?

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

I lived in Dallas for 25 years and my experience was that roses did not do well in indirect light even though it's very hot there. I ended up with a lot more black spot and leggy low blooming plants in those areas of my yard. I did better with morning sun and dappled sun in the afternoon. I grow Don Juan in a hot area of California and it does well with at least a half day sun. Also my experience with it is that it needs a couple of years to really get going and bloom a lot. Mary

• jrdelaney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My backyard is small/our pet dog haven, and there really isn't a great spot for it. It's fenced in, so the only real place would be up against our back concrete patio, but not really ideal as it doesn't offer much room.

If I were to put a lamp on it for a few hours a day, would that supplement for the lack of direct sunlight?

• User
    11 years ago

How close is your Don Juan to your wall or a big window? I have a hybrid tea that was planted by the previous owners that only gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight. The thing is very healthy (8 feet tall, putting up brand new basals each year for the past two years) and blooms its head off from May to November.

My "theory" is that it gets all the light it needs from reflected light.

With a climber, you never know until further along the process. I would say give it another year or two, and no need to fret just yet. Good luck.

• amberroses
    11 years ago

I had a Don Juan planted against the north wall of my house. It did very well for about 9 years and just last month it started to decline and I removed it. I may get another.

• jrdelaney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's near our front door, so it doesn't even get any type of sunlight, other than indirect I assume. I bought a grow bulb to try if I notice it not growing as much as I like. We will see though! I did just plant it yesterday.

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Don't bother with the light. There's no way you're realistically going to go outside and turn a light on it every day for years. I know I wouldn't anyway.

• sandrathompson77
    7 years ago

Where can I find Don Juan rose bush? Can't find any on Internet.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Antique Rose Emporium has him and is a great company. That's where I got mine.

• sandrathompson77
    7 years ago

Thank you Sheila.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

I think Don Juan loves you sultry_jasmine because you are a funny girl. What guy doesn't like funny charming ladies..lol. I bought this rose last year. It isn't cane hardy up here but it is a good plant so far. I have had a few blooms last year. Unfortunately I didn't find the flowers all that special. It makes me wonder if I got the right rose since it is such a famous rose.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

jjpeace, My baby DJ from ARE startled me he was so gorgeous I had to show my husband, and he isn't even open yet. The color ruby in the sun was lovely. Pictures don't do him justice.

Sheila's garden. · More Info

Sheila's garden. · More Info

• sandrathompson77
    7 years ago

Sheila I tried the place you suggested they have DJ climbing, I want a DJ rose bush. If anyone knows of a place where I can get the rose bush and not the climbing DJ please let me know. Thanks!

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a cutting bed that only gets indirect light--I've had roses grow there for years and have seen exactly one bloom. But, I don't care if I get blooms or not--the idea is to propagate roses with the least amount of effort.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Chamblee carries the climbing variety. Perhaps they carry the bush variety as well.

• sandrathompson77
    7 years ago

Where did you purchase your DJ rose bush?

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

According to the 2015 Combined Rose List Don Juan is ONLY a large flowered climber. No not-climber is listed.