Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkcliche

drooping miniature roses?

darkcliche
15 years ago

hi i really need help, i got a pot of miniature red roses yesterday.

i have checked out a few sites about how to look after them and they have told me they love direct sunlight, so i put the pot outside this morning and when i came home a couple of hours later the flowers and flower buds were all droopy, i have since watered it a little bit and put on a windowsill in my bathroom.

is there anything else i can do or am i at a lost cause?

please help

i am in AUSTRALIA

Comments (10)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

How hot or cold was it outside? Did you place it in direct sunlight or semi-shade?

It probably just got shocked by the change, maybe dried up too quickly. I'd give it a good deep watering (make sure it drains well)and, assuming the temps are half-way decent around there, put it outside in a mostly shady spot until it adjusts to outdoor life. That may take a week or two.

Are you going to plant it outside?

Kate

• darkcliche
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi its summer here at the moment, and where i put the pot, its shady in the morning and sunny through the day and then shady in the arvo. (where i put the pot)
    should i water it EVERYDAY? or will that drown it?
    and no i dont want to plant it in the ground, where i live the soil is very yukky so it would die within hours

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Maybe someone with more experience growing roses in pots will come along with better info., but for now, I would say, keep that rose in the shade for a week or so until it adjusts to the outdoors. After that, you can experiment and see how much sun it likes.

As for water, I'm not sure. Stick a finger in the soil and see if it is moist down there. I grow other things in pots and during the really hot weather, they may need to be watered daily--even twice a day if it is extra hot. The main thing with pots is to make sure they have good drainage. Roses hate sitting around with their feet in water and they'll let you know very quickly--as leaves turn yellow and fall off! With good drainage, that is not a problem. Drying out would be the main thing to worry about then.

Good luck with your rose!

Kate

• darkcliche
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi thankyou for your help, i will keep the pot in the windowsill for a couple of days and see how it goes, it does have lots of water and lots of draining, i will check this post lots to see if someone else has advice aswell
    thankyou again :)

• lynnette
    15 years ago

Your little red mini is under stress so I would not place it in full sun for a few days and then all day filtered sun and finally the way you have it now. Also the inside of a house is usually too dry for these tiny roses. If you could give it a daily misting it would certainly help it along. Be careful on the constant watering as the feeder roots will not be able to take the water up until it gets back on it's feet and isn't under stress. Watering is good but roses can take a few days without water also gives the roots a rest too. Spider mites like to live on these roses so check underneath the leaves to see if there are any VERY tiny spider like insects. If there are, then misting should discourage them as they like dry not wet. It is not unusually for these little roses to droop when you get them home. They are grown in a moist atmosphere in a greenhouse, linked to a drip system which keeps the soil moist but not wet and supplies fertilizer with the water. Then they are suddenly placed in a hot dry atmosphere so they re-act. Also there are two main types of mini roses sold in shops. One is a frail type with 4 cuttings in the pot and has thin limp leaves which cause a lot of problems to grow and the other is a type that has tougher leaves and do very well outside. If the pot says Kordes it will be one of those.

• darkcliche
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hello, thankyou for your advice, the pot didnt say anything on the side of it, just the price.
    so what your saying is i should keep my darlings inside for a few days then gradually put them on a windowsill then outside?
    the roses or leaves dont have any diseases at the moment which is good, i have heard of the spider mite and the black spot, i think i might have black spot already but cant be too sure, it might have just been a lil burnt from being outside today, they arent black spots yet but will keep an eye on it :)
    thankyou again

• darkcliche
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i have since looked at my poor little darlings since i have last posted and they look worse now :( they have drooped more and they are starting to turn a little dark red/brown but not quite brown yet, does this mean more poor little darlings are at their ends of their life? i only bought them yesterday :(
    it might just be me though, i must not have a green thumb
    anymore help would be great
    thanx

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Hi,darkcliche, As mentioned by several others I think your mini rose is in shock from going from a greenhouse-grocerystore plant to outside too quickly. Since it is already in shock I would go ahead and follow the directions in the link I have provided. This may sound harsh but if you repot in bigger pots with good potting soil and get them used to being outside the roses will come back with new growth that is acclimated to the outdoors. I have done this with some pretty sorry looking plants and sometimes they look even worse for a while (like dead) but if they have any will to live at all they will come back from the brink and do well. The pot and the filler in the pot that they are in now will not be good enough for the rose outside,It will dry out too fast and they are crowded. If there is any chance of amending the soil by digging a hole and putting either fresh dirt or something to make your soil good enough for roses you will be better off in the long run. The roses will be a lot easier to take care of in the ground. That's what they were designed for anyway. If you plant it in the ground make sure you protect it from the sun for a while. Either way you do it,if they don't make it you'll be setup to try it again with another mini rose. Keep us posted and Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: How to save a potted goft rose

• darkcliche
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thankyou very much i will try and do that as soon as possible thankyou everyone for all your help i will keep this post open still and keep everyone updating :)

• katfish287
    15 years ago

Hello, I've got some pink miniature roses, and they're really drooping - there are 4 cutting in the pot with limp leaves, like lynette said. I don't have very much heat at all in England, it gets up to 10C on a good day at the moment, (50F), and I'm at college, so cannot repot them or grow them outside. Of the cuttings, the ones with blooms are doing a LOT better than the ons with only buds on them. Is there ANYTHING I can d, aside from repotting, to help them. I've read about misting, and watering here, and the stress - is there anything I can do to help them adjust? And I was told that they liked the cool rather than the heat given by radiators - is this true. They're right by the widow.

I'd really appreciate any help! Thank you. Xxx

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the rose