Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Bulls eye

C Schaffner
12 years ago

I just got an email that my Bullseye is on it's way from Rosemania. I can't wait to get it and see how it does. I have just the spot for it on my hill.

Comments (8)

• Campanula UK Z8
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

um, well, can you feel the waves of envy? Not available herem despite being Brit bred, although Eyes for You is - I have a couple of hulthemias and have been surprised by their robust nature and complete absence of blackspot, mildew or rust. Little powerhouses which look astonishingly like oriental poppies or tree paeonies. Lucky you.

• Campanula UK Z8
    12 years ago

I think Peter James is going to have to sort out his rose naming. Blue for You was OK but Eyes for You and Bull's Eye are horrid and may well put people off. Jeri Jennings reminded me that my absolute favourite rose would have taken the rose world by storm had it not had the unfortunately unpronounceable and unspellable monika of Mme Gregoire Staechelin.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I think what limited Mme Gregoire Staechelin was more the size and performance of the plant. Climbers generally don't sell as well as bush types in the first place. Not being a reliably repeat blooming plant in most climates definitely didn't help it. As for the name, any introducer who brought it into their country was completely free to re name it, which was done at least once. Though I like the rose, it makes no difference to me (and most I know) whether it's called Mme Gregoire Staechelin or Spanish Beauty. It's pretty, but it doesn't do much other than grow and fade quickly, in my climate. Now, give it as steady and continuous color as Cl. Shot Silk or any of the new crop of ever blooming climbers and there would have been a real chance.

If you live where the growing season isn't that long and you really only expect roses of any type to flower a few months at best, that's one thing. But right here, even in the worst of years, anything that regularly repeats, flowers virtually non stop. As has been posted here recently, pruning requires cutting off all that lovely color. Yes, we grow Banksiae by the thousands, but something like this rose isn't a suitable replacement. Banksiae solves a myriad of landscaping problems, from erosion control to view and privacy issues, all without any prickles and generally perfect health, becoming nearly completely self supporting most of the time in many of our climates. I doubt Mme Gregoire Staechelin or any other climber like her could be expected to do the same.

I know they hurt your ears, Campanula, but Peter James' scheme of naming them "Eyes" and tying Eyes and Blue for You together by name (as well as by breeding), is genius. People often operate on "completion". When they own one of a "set", they MUST "collect them all". Marketers understand that well and promote it across all product lines and have for decades. In this country, one brand of margarine had such a recognizable jingle, they eventually simply ran the first line of their jingle, "Well, you think it's butter..." permitting the viewer to complete it with "But, it's not!". Cigarette advertisers, back when it was permitted on television and radio, did the same.

Rose marketers have long used it. Week's created the "Talk" series from the 60s through the 80s. Even before that we had the "Garnette" and "Pinocchio" series. J&P did it more recently with the "Simplicity" series. Miniatures were marketed for decades with the "glo", "Jewel", "Magic", "Delight", "Princess", "Elf" and "Little" series among others. Harkness wisely named three of their first four Hulthemia hybrids for rivers in the ancestor's homeland, Xerxes, Tigris and Euphrates. Ralph Moore followed my suggestion to tie the names of his hybrids to the "Persian" connection. Mr. Moore created his "Halo" series to resemble Hulthemia, without using it to create them, then marketed the Hulthemias with Persian Sunset, Peach, Light, etc. Harkness further played on connecting the names with the Middle East with Persian Mystery and Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia.

Perhaps they may not sell as well to those who desire more elegance to their rose names, but they will play quite well to the "completion" drive as well as those for whom the geographical connection of the names will have greater meaning. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lol, your Maggie is my Ronnie (Ronald Reagan), Campanula! I swore I would never buy a rose with a politician's name on it but OMG that rose is so gorgeous that I know he's coming home with me this spring! I have a good friend named Ronnie, I'll just think of him instead!

Let's all remember these timeless words from Shakespeare:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet"

• debinnh
    11 years ago

I have a bull's eye rose on its way from Rosemania! How is yours doing? I swore I was not going to put any new roses in this year, then I went ahead and ordered 4. Besides Bull's Eye, I am getting two I have been looking at for a few years, Firefighter and Just Joey. And then new this year Sunshine Daydream.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Hello!

I know I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but debinnh, can you give any updates about how your Bull's Eye is faring? I too am in zone 5, and I too covet it!

Thanks in advance!

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Hah! I had to laff. Campanula, there is a rose named MARGARET THATCHER that I would LOVE to have. It's a Japanese bred Fl that's a beautiful pink and white stripe. I also see there's a Kordes rose with several names including Margaret Thatcher. It goes by FLAMINGO here. (I think I might even have it LOL)

BULLS EYE is a lovely thing. The only fault I see in it is how it changes color so friggin' fast. Goes from lt peachy-yellow to pale pink in just a few hours after opening.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?