Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Modern Green Roses?

butterflylion
13 years ago

At the grocery store today I saw bouquets of green roses. They had lots of petals and were green. Does anyone know what variety they were? Where can I buy a plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Roses Bouquet

Comments (10)

• catsrose
    13 years ago

I don't know of any true green roses and I suspect they were died. Do a color search on helpmefind.com/roses. I thinkyou will find only white or yellow with green tints. St. Patrick is almost a chartreuse, but that's the closet I've ever heard of. The China, Green Rose, does not have regular petals.

• bob_71
    13 years ago

Butterflylion, I,too, have not come across any roses that I consider to be acceptably green. I grew St. Patrick in my garden and it does have some degree of pale green in the outermost petals and is a beautiful rose but is a yellow rose with hints of green.

{{gwi:232952}}

Closest that I have ever grown is a miniature rose named GREEN ICE. It is a prolific blooming white rose that fades to a real green and the blooms last forever on the bush so it usually has some genuine green blooms throughout the season. Stems are not long enough for any but the smallest vases.

{{gwi:232953}}

Bob

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Like butterflylion, I also bought a bouquet of light green roses in a supermarket maybe three years ago. I was totally fascinated by them. Nowadays I don't buy florist roses from grocery stores anymore, because of the pesticides and insecticides that are used to grow them, but I would be intrigued to grow a green florist rose in my own garden. So I hope that someone knows a variety that is green and can be grown in the garden (Beth are you reading this?).

Bob, I love your photos of St. Patrick (though not green enough for me for a green rose ;-)) and Green Ice. Thanks for posting them. I got a cutting of Green Ice from a friend last year, but it is not doing well so far. Your photo really makes me want to order this rose from a nursery, again and see if it does better. It is soo... pretty.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I have a couple of them that are actually green like that. I grew them from buying the stems at the market, and then rooting them. The greenest, so far, is Jade. This picture is from my garden, and the color is accurate. I think Eurodesert sold Jade as a started plant, but now they are moving all their stock to Vintage, so it is probably too late to buy from him. I don't know whether Vintage is taking over Eurodesert's florist rose stock or just his OGR's.

Your best bet may be just to get a bouquet and try to start the stems yourself. There are many methods for doing this, and here's a link to one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting cuttings

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

The conditions Florist roses are grown in is very different than most gardens provide. Nowadays they are usually grown at medium elevations along the equator in shade houses, which gives cool conditions and diffused but bright light. Those conditions can give much different colors than what is produced in the average garden.

'Leonidas' is a good example of this. Grown in "florist" conditions, it's a mocha brown. In the garden, it's orange.

Just saying, your mileage may vary. Even with the same cultivar, you may not get the green shade you are looking for.

• john_ca
    13 years ago

There are a number of different companies developing florist roses with a greenish tinge to them. Among them is Meilland. Here is a link to section of their website that describes their florist roses:

http://www.meilland.com/en/meilland_cut-flowers_varieties.html

Take a look at Creamy Eden and Green Romantica. I bought Green Romantica from S&W Greenhouse (an etailer) this year. My plant is suppose to arrive in late February.

Good luck,

John

• particentral
    13 years ago

My St Patrick was as green as green could be in the heat of summer, but when it cooled off for fall it turned yellow with green edges like the photo above.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my St Patricks

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

I would guess that florist rose you linked to is probably SUPER GREEN. I got that one from Carltons way back when they still were in business. In the 5 or so yrs I've had it, I think I've gotten maybe 2 blooms on it. I got JADE from Carltons a few yrs before that, and it's a much better rose. I also got GREEN ROMANTICA from Regans last yr, and it hasn't done much yet, but when it bloomed it was mostly a greenish white. The green roses tend to have a lot more petals than other roses, and they take forever to open up, sometimes balling and never fully opening, and that includes ST PATRICK. Now, when grown in the tropical regions of South America, I imagine they are quite different from how they are in our gardens here. I've seen several other new green florist varieties at our Safeway market's florist shop. Been tempted to try and root some.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

I thought Honora was dyed when I first saw it in a supermarket. It's kept that Green color two years now. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog on a Green Rose

• buford
    13 years ago

My St.Patrick was very green last year. In previous years, I had greenish buds, but they would be very yellow once they opened. This year the open blooms retained a lot of the greenish hue. Unfortunately I can't find any pics.