Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About "Granular Fertilizers"

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 23:17

It is getting time to start thinking about early spring fertilizing for established bushes. I am doing some reading about different methods, and the term "granular fertilizer" keeps coming up. I know this is an elementary question, but I am not sure what is meant by a granular fertilizer. Could you experts please explain and give some named examples of said fertilizers? Thanks!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About "Granular Fertilizers"

Any dry fertilizer that is manufactured to be in the form of small grains, balls, pellets or clusters is called a granular fertilizer to contrast with ungranulated ones which come in the form of dust or crystal powder. Granular fertilizers are usually designed to be slower dissolving and may incorporate other technologies (such as coating) to this effect. They are often designed to allow for superficial delivery rather than incorporation into the soil and they are more amenable to mechanized delivery. They are usually chemically or mechanically compound fertilizers rather than single chemical ingredient ones.
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 0:10

o

"Lawn" fertilizers are "granular", you'll see these in large bags in the stores (check out the lawn fertilizer section), also some of the "balanced" fertilizers (such as 10-10-10).

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 11:54

Dry fertilizers are like Osmocote and Rose Tone etc. Any thing that is spread on the surface of the soil, or sometimes worked into the top of the soil, and not mixed into a water solution before application is a granular fertilizer. There are dozens of different ones.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 12:17

OK I get it! Things like Mills Magic Rose Mix, Rose Tone, triple 13 - anything dry. I was thinking that organics like Mills, Rose Tone were different from "granular". Thanks for clarifying!

o

I wouldn't myself apply the term to organic fertilizers or plastic-coated fertilizers. I agree with Diane that it means things like Turf Builder or generic 10-10-10 -- manufactured fertilizers, usually readily soluble, although some have part of their nitrogen treated for slower release. They can also be single-ingredient fertilizers like calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate, muriate of potash etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here