Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About "Granular Fertilizers"

It is getting time to start thinking about early spring fertilizing for established bushes. I am doing some reading about different methods, and the term "granular fertilizer" keeps coming up. I know this is an elementary question, but I am not sure what is meant by a granular fertilizer. Could you experts please explain and give some named examples of said fertilizers? Thanks!
Judith

Comments (7)

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Any dry fertilizer that is manufactured to be in the form of small grains, balls, pellets or clusters is called a granular fertilizer to contrast with ungranulated ones which come in the form of dust or crystal powder. Granular fertilizers are usually designed to be slower dissolving and may incorporate other technologies (such as coating) to this effect. They are often designed to allow for superficial delivery rather than incorporation into the soil and they are more amenable to mechanized delivery. They are usually chemically or mechanically compound fertilizers rather than single chemical ingredient ones.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 0:10

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

"Lawn" fertilizers are "granular", you'll see these in large bags in the stores (check out the lawn fertilizer section), also some of the "balanced" fertilizers (such as 10-10-10).

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Dry fertilizers are like Osmocote and Rose Tone etc. Any thing that is spread on the surface of the soil, or sometimes worked into the top of the soil, and not mixed into a water solution before application is a granular fertilizer. There are dozens of different ones.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK I get it! Things like Mills Magic Rose Mix, Rose Tone, triple 13 - anything dry. I was thinking that organics like Mills, Rose Tone were different from "granular". Thanks for clarifying!

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I wouldn't myself apply the term to organic fertilizers or plastic-coated fertilizers. I agree with Diane that it means things like Turf Builder or generic 10-10-10 -- manufactured fertilizers, usually readily soluble, although some have part of their nitrogen treated for slower release. They can also be single-ingredient fertilizers like calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate, muriate of potash etc.

• edenh
    9 years ago

Hi
    Is it ok to ask for recommendations? I am looking for something that includes micro-nutrients. Sorry if this is considered as "hijacking"..

• cecily
    9 years ago

Hi Eden, rosey questions are always welcome! A good granular rose fertilizer with micronutrients that is widely available on the east coast is Espoma Rose Tone. I can purchase it at Lowe's I'm not sure about organic granular rose fertilizers available on the west coast. Try to avoid combination products that include fertilizer, pesticide and fungicide - they don't work well and they're very toxic to pets & wildlife.