Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darobi2459

cherry parfait grandiflora

darobi2459
11 years ago

My wife took a liking to the cherry parfait on our trip to the st. Louis botanical garden. The problem is we live in zone 5 and from what i have read its a zone six minimum. Is this right? and if so does anyone have suggestions to a similar rose that would survive the winters here?

Thanks, David

Comments (9)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

You should be able to get Cherry Parfait thru the winter in Z5 with good winter protection & planting the bud union 2-3" below grade level. 2 other similar rose you might take a look at are the grandiflora 'Love' & the HT 'Double Delight'....I have these 2 in my Z4 garden & they survive just fine.

• marcindy
    11 years ago

I second what wirosarian said. I had it in y 5b garden for years with no special protection. In most winters it froze back to the snow line and rebounded quickly the following spring. In recent winters it even stayed green higher up in the canes since our winters weren't that severe lately. You should have no problem growing it in your yard.

Btw, it helps a lot if you tell folks on here were you live, like state or city. Makes it easier to give you "regional" advice. Enjoy the coming spring!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I agree. My cousin has it here and it comes through green to the tips most years with no protection at all. I can't imagine why, with a little protection, it wouldn't do just fine in zone 5. It's a really lovely rose with pretty good disease resistance too!

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Ill have a go at it this spring. Your right marcindy, I should have clarified my location even in zones there can be big differences. btw I am in central Illinois.

I dont have any grandifloras yet, but i have 4 hybrids. Forth of July, and some others I cant remember the names of. The fourth of July is one of the best fragrant roses i have come across.

• susan4952
    11 years ago

Cherry parfait had marginal fragrance in Chicago but lives thru the winters.
    I have it in a semi protected site and I do mulch in the fall. I love it, too.

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whats everyone's opinion on bare root, or planted? I have only tried bare root with BLAZE roses and had no problem, but does a grandiflora respond as well?

Thanks David
    I dont have many roses, but ones I do have I love :) My daughter with a few hybrids.

This post was edited by darobi2459 on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 22:07

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Your daughter is a sweetie. I think you mean potted vs. bare root? Both are fine, just look for fresh, healthy plants. Look at the canes (stems) not the foliage on potted plants. Are they green and not scarred up or blackened or spotted with disease? Potted roses can be quickly pumped up to look good even when they are basically not great specimens. They can then decline rapidly in your garden without it being your fault. For bare-roots, the canes should look good and clean and not dried up. Bare roots are highly vulnerable to drying out and you want to avoid those that are.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Your baby girl is adorable!
    Such a pretty little lass.

Your roses look terrific. Very healthy and robust looking. I don't think you will have any trouble growing Cherry Parfait roses.

Just well up the soil around the base of the plant to give them extra protection in winter, and then pile on a thick layer of leaf mulch or wood chips or bark. When warm weather arrives and temps stabilize, pull the soil back and remove some of the mulch. You can form a watering well around the rose bush with the extra soil. Use new mulch every fall though. Put the old stuff into a composting area.

~Annie

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the complements everyone:) She loves digging for worms too :) I usually have an abundance of leaves that I already use in the fall to cover my hydrangeas. Thanks for the tips about adding a few inches of soil in the fall and than pulling it away to make a well.

I realy cant wait for spring!