Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wish I could take credit

Posted by dobieone Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 0:01

For this beautiful sample of my rose, but for some reason this year, without benefit of ample rainfall, these roses are spectacular! I've had this rose for perhaps 5 years, propagated because of the wonderful fragrance and unfortunately I have no idea of its identity. But this is the best this has ever looked, and my are they large blooms! Is this the way of roses: it takes them a number of years to get going?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wish I could take credit

Enough water, milder temps for a longer period will produce some amazing blooms. Portland Oregon has always been known for how beautifully they flower there. Most will produce more spectacular flowers as they mature. It makes sense. From floral research done in the seventies, it was found to require about 35 perfect leaves to make one perfect flower. The larger the root system; the greater the foliage mass; the more nutrient reserve in more wood, the greater the flower production. Many will give decent flowers before they mature. Some won't do diddly until they do. Home and Family is advertised as being one which doesn't perform as expected until about its third year. Once you know why they make great blooms, you know what it takes and how long it can take. The flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Kim

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 11:24

They are gorgeous! You can take some of the credit. You propagated it and nurtured it for 5 years!

From the look of it and your description of the strong fragrance my guess would be that it's Angel Face.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 14:12

Looks like HEIRLOOM to me.

o

Check out his photo I found on web for Heirloom Rose, someone in generic rose forum suggested this. Seems very close. Angel face is described as fruity and my rose's fragrance is quite dusky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here