Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Cutting, Grafting, and Seeds

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 0:17

I am freaking out with growth that I am seeing out of my heavily pruned stocks. I see massive growth and buds everywhere and some have started to flower.

However, I also planted some cuttings and they are alive and well, 1 week into it and growth is continuing. Goal was to keep it moist and I planted them right into the ground.

I also grafted about a dozzen roses. I used Cleft grafts, and some are hanging on while some are confused, will see if these make it.

I had saved some seeds from last year and believe it or not I had them in refrigerator, in soaking bowl of water, on top of refrigerator, bla bla bla and its been 5 months, today I finally saw quite a few of the seeds sprouting. I also found volunteer seedlings in my planters and when I pulled them out carefully I saw the swelled up seed that was part of the root. This gave me confort that if I sow the seeds out now, it may be a sure bet.

I finally sowed some 24 seeds (that have been in moist/cold condition for 4 months), I sowed right into the ground where there is constant moist condition.

Lets see how all these go. I am sure I might get 50% success in grafting and seeding. I will follow-up in 30-days

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Cutting, Grafting, and Seeds

All very interesting, good luck! I look forward to the update.

cheers,
robert

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:22

Good start! Keep in mind that some cuttings can take months to root, and that new growth may come from stored energy, not from new roots. Good luck with your efforts and let us know how it goes. :)

o

Hoovb, agreed, but at the same time you can tell which cuttings lost leaves and look dead compared to the ones that are thriving. One one cutting that is about a month old is now swelling buds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here