Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robynb_gw

WATERPROOF rose gloves???

robynb
15 years ago

After soaking several pairs of gloves yesterday, finally giving up and going bare-handed and ripping open my hands and arms to the elbows... I need a pair of waterproof gloves that will at least mostly deflect thorns. I've seen some gloves that could work on sites for industrial stuff, but they only come in men's large and XL - I need a woman's small size. Any suggestions? If I can't find anything, I will pair waterproof gloves with kevlar arm guards, but it seems like there should be SOMETHING out there...

Comments (10)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

My usual gloves are calfskin, but my rosey friend gave me a pair of "Rose Gloves", brand name of Bionic (TM) for Christmas. Goatskin and fabric in the hand and what feels like rubberized fabric gauntlets. I don't know that they will be totally waterproof, but I think I'll like them.

My hands are on the small side, the women's Medium is a nice snug fit. I can't wait to try them this weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bionic Gloves

• michaelg
    15 years ago

May I ask why it is a problem if gloves get wet?

• buford
    15 years ago

I think the problem is that the hands get wet. I was out in my compost pile (which has rose canes in it) and it was so wet and cold my hands froze. But I could not use rubber gloves because of the thorns.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

I really like the goat skin gaunlets. although they get wet by the end of the day if moisture is present, they dry out over night and soften up quickly once put on the next day. I buy them by the dozen pair.

• robynb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michaelg - because I'm often planting/fertilizing/watering/whatever so the gloves get soaked and then my hands inside the gloves are waterlogged and uncomfortable, and either freezing or boiling if it's not 70 degrees out. Depending on the gloves (I went through several pair on Sunday) some of them even fill up with water as the palms are waterproof but the backs are not, and then I have a glove full of water - blech. Appreciate any links - thanks, Diane!

• mikeber
    15 years ago

I have no personal experience, but once I noticed a product named "sure grip waterproof gloves". Try a search on google, maybe that's what you are looking for.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

As a quick fix while you search for the perfect glove, sometimes I double glove. I put on a thin pair of latex or vinyl gloves (the kind for dying hair or handling food) then wear my garden gloves over. Works ok so far this springs long as the water doesn't get in the wrist opening.

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Treating leather gloves heavily with neatsfoot or other oil would help a good deal.

I suspect any fully waterproof gloves would be susceptible to having the film punctured in a rose garden.

• pennymca
    15 years ago

These are GREAT rose gloves and come in a small size for short fingers, petite hands. Not waterproof but you'll love the fit.

I tested mine on my New Dawn climber on a big old cane with ferocious thorns...worked like a charm!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gauntlet Rose Gloves

• iowa_jade
    15 years ago

After doing this for a few years I have quite a collection of gloves that I use. For planting and playing in the mud I like Mud Gloves. For pruning I like the goatskin gloves and sometimes add my welder's front apron depending on the beasty involved.

The Mud Gloves do get wet and take a while to dry out so several pairs are nice. They are lousy for pruning.
    DW likes the gauntlet types. Gloves make good prizes and gifts for Rose Nuts. One can never have too many gloves.

Only thing worse than wet gloves is wet feet. I have a handy box of garden shoes and boots also, kept clean and mink oiled (usualy.)

Hot beverages help.

Have fun!

F.L.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mud Gloves