Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

da climbers

boncrow66
10 years ago

I posted this on the antique rose forum and decided to post the same question here for more info. I want to plant a DA climber and would like to hear from others what has been the best one for them. I live in southeast texas and plan in planting them next to a late arbor. I have really been enjoying this forum and am so glad I found it. I have already learned so much and everyone has been so nice and helpful.

Comments (22)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I would try Graham Thomas - it can get up to 10-12 feet here if encouraged - it is gorgeous.

Jackie

• andreark
    10 years ago

I have 2 DA climbers but they are still in pots. They are Golden Celebration and Tradescant. Even though they aren't planted yet, they are quite obviously climbers. Long Tentacles!

They will each be planted today and each one pegged to it's own split rail fence in my front yard. I am so excited!! I know that some of the folks here on the forum have gorgeous pics of GC climbing. I don't know if anyone has pics of Tradescant.

andreark

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I have become hesitant about graham Thomas as almost everyone has said he's a stingy bloomer and I am leaning towards the golden celebration.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

I'd go with Lady of Shallot, and get it on fortuniana roots if you can.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Did you want the rose to grow on an arbor? Forgive me, but what is a Late Arbor? It has been a long week for me and not sure if that is a type of arbor or a typo (if a typo not trying to make fun...I am great at making typos!)

Here, other than the obviously short Austins, I think they are all climbers. Is there a color you want?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I have really enjoyed Tess of the D'Ubervilles. Mine is several years old and is on a large fan trellis where it has spread out all over the trellis. Never see blackspot, leaves always healthy and green and the blooms are a lovely cerise color. Also grow Abe Darby as a shrub and as a climber - it is not growing fast as a climber but is healthy and blooms well. I have a very healthy Graham Thomas as a shrub - it is a stingy bloomer unless I feed it regularly with Carl Pool BR-61. Not that impressed with it, but the bush is healthy and it is a bit of a challenge which is fun, but if the bush ever declines and dies, it wont be replaced. Crown Princess Margareta is a young bush but is doing very well. This is its 3rd year, so will see if it "leaps" [as in sleep, creep, leap].

Judith

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Strictly speaking, there are no DA climbers; some just get very tall.

• andreark
    10 years ago

I have Golden Celebration still in a 5 gal pot, not yet planted, and the tendrils (thin and long) are already 3 feet long. Certainly looks like a climber to me!

andreark
    The following was copied from the DA web page. If you look close to the bottom of the info, you will see that it states how tall it will get as a climber.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Celebration - Own Root ⢠(Ausgold)
    David Austin Recommended Variety
    Patent No. 8688

Category English Roses
    (English Rose Collection)

Bred By David Austin

Color Golden Yellow

Flower Type Double/Full Bloom

Size Medium Shrub
    Short Climber

Hardiness Very hardy

Fragrance Tea & Fruity
    Strong

Repeating Good

Special Characteristics Repeat flowering. Large rounded flowers. Won the best shrub and most fragrant rose awards at the Rose Awards Day 2000

This is one of the largest-flowered and most magnificent of our English Roses. Its color is rich golden yellow and the flowers are in the form of a giant, full-petalled cup. It has excellent shapely growth, forming a nicely rounded, slightly arching shrub with ample foliage. It is very reliable and easy to grow. An ideal rose to mark any celebration or important event.

The flowers are initially Tea-scented but often develop a wonderful combination of sauterne wine and strawberry.

May benefit from summer pruning in most areas.

4 1/2 x 4 1/2ft. (8-10 ft. as climber)

Awarded the National Home Gardening Club Member Tested & Recommended Seal of Approval.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant to say a large arbor not late arbor so yes it was a typo, wasn't wearing my cheaters that day :). I was leaning towards the color yellow but at this point I just want something healthy that will have a decent rebloom. I am seriously considering the Tess as Judith has suggested. I also think lady shallot is beautiful and I would love to have a crown princess Margarete, she looks gorgeous in the catalog. I keep revising my list every day as I read what ya'll have to say about what works for you. Keep the info flowing. I love it!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

As catsrose said, DA roses can get very tall but they are not true climbers. My Golden Celebration is about seven feet, but it's definitely upright and free standing. During its first two or three years, it put out a lot of long, flexible canes that sometimes wanted to flop, but that never progressed to true climbing. I just posted this pic a few days ago on the antique roses forum, but this is my tall, upright, non climbing GC, one of my favorite roses and a near constant bloomer for me. Diane

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your picture is the reason I will be buying a GC. I probably won't use it for my climber but have plenty of room to plant it where it can get tall.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture Diane! I believe this will cause GC to join my garden as well. Absolutely lovely, thank you for sharing your picture.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Thanks for helping with that arbor.

I would suggest Golden Celebration as well. I am in Coastal SoCal so our conditions are similar and very different. :)

I have 3 one is a self rooted section, one a well grafted plant and the 3rd a body bag. The third one is in a hot sunny area and has never in 5-6 years grown taller than 3 feet. Not sure if it is the heat or the poor quality of that body bag rose. It does put out a spring flush and is currently sporting a half dozen blooms on that little bush.

The other two are in a partly shady area and are doing wonderfully, they reached about 5 feet last summer having just been planted in the spring. Probably because of the shade they have been getting, they are not covered in blooms, but they do bloom regularly. I expect that as they get taller and reach more sun they will do better.

I also have a band of Reve d'Or and I am looking forward to the future when I can see it bloom.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Thanks for helping with that arbor.

I would suggest Golden Celebration as well. I am in Coastal SoCal so our conditions are similar and very different. :)

I have 3 one is a self rooted section, one a well grafted plant and the 3rd a body bag. The third one is in a hot sunny area and has never in 5-6 years grown taller than 3 feet. Not sure if it is the heat or the poor quality of that body bag rose. It does put out a spring flush and is currently sporting a half dozen blooms on that little bush.

The other two are in a partly shady area and are doing wonderfully, they reached about 5 feet last summer having just been planted in the spring. Probably because of the shade they have been getting, they are not covered in blooms, but they do bloom regularly. I expect that as they get taller and reach more sun they will do better.

I also have a band of Reve d'Or and I am looking forward to the future when I can see it bloom.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

My GC hits 12 feet every season and I'm in a cold zone where it needs some pruning every spring from winter kill. It should easily cover an arbor in a warm climate. And the canes are quite flexible if you catch them early on. They will stiffen up some with time but I wrap mine on a trellis every year as it grows out. It does black spot for me but that may not be a problem where you are. I love the fragrance of it and looking up at it on an arbor it will be beautiful!

I also have Graham and he's a good rose but I don't think he is as trainable as GC. His canes are stiffer and don't bend well. I've tried to trellis him too but a lot of times the canes just snap instead of bending.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sold on GC for sure. I am also going to get a Abe Darby. My arbor is on top of my deck so I am going to be able to get away with roses that are bushy and tall. I feel both colors of the roses will compliment each otther from what I have read abut the color of Abe Darby. The GC will be on the back of the arbor and the Abe Darby is going to be on each side of the steps going onto the porch. I was thinking on the other side of the arbor I might add the Tess. I think the yellow and red will be pretty together. Or I could a pretty apricot. I still have a week to figure it out :).

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Don't remember if I responded to this query over on the Antique Forum or not, but just in case (hope I'm not too late here), if you are looking for yellow DA climbers, two better choices are either Teasing Georgia or The Pilgrim--both grow about 10 ft tall and are disease-resistant and the blooms are beautiful.

As lovely as Graham Thomas and Golden Celebration both are, they both suffer from BS problems, as I understand it. Teasing Georgia and The Pilgrim do not. A number of DA's newer roses (like these two) are much healthier than the older favorites.

TG is a bit more golden with a touch of apricot, and The Pilgrim is more pastel yellow/white--both equally lovely.

The Pilgrim--DA climber
    {{gwi:216262}}

Another factor to consider.

Kate

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am limited to what Chamblees nursery carries at this point and I understand that they only carry what works sell in my zone. I am in zone 8b. I think both of those that you mentioned are gorgeous and I would be considering them if they sold them at Chamblees. I am considering cardigan mill too. I will probably leave with something completely different after I get to Chamblees and talk with the people who work there and know what is going to work for me.

10 years ago

Talk to Maria - she will give you good advice. She is the niece of rose guru Frank, who sadly passed away some years ago. She learned from him and her own experience and you tell her what you want and she can advise you.

My Tess is in full sun until about 2-3pm and it does just fine. It is really big - cant say about how flexible it is because I have it on a big metal fan trellis and it has been like this several years, but think the young growth would be flexible. Abe Darby, not as big as Tess, is a must have for me - I love the color, the scent......I have one as a shrub and one as a small climber. I am not bothered with blackspot as I spray......am not religious about it, but do it a bit more than occasionally so its not much of a problem.

My Golden Celebration is on my front yard fence, in full all day sun. It has never grown or bloomed much but still hangs in there. Last fall, I dumped a big pile of composted horse manure on it - I am seeing better growth this spring. Maybe I have been remiss feeding it and just need to really give it some TLC. I complained about Graham Thomas not blooming, and Maria suggested Carl Pool BR-61 and lo and behold, the stingy sucker started blooming. Chamblees sells Carl Pool BR-61 and you should pick some up - its a good fertilizer that can be hard to find.

I buy the gallon roses from Chamblees rather than the larger size because of price difference [and I am always buying so many!] but you might want to spend the extra and get larger roses for more instant gratification. You will have a great time looking through everything. When I went last Friday, I was with a friend who is a gardener but isn't into roses so I tried not to spend too much time looking. I really like going to Tyler by myself so I can take all the time I want. So I cant recall exactly which Austins were available......I know I saw a beautiful Tess.

If you need shrubs, I would definitely pick up Sophy's Rose [this was Frank's favorite Austin] - Molineaux, Tamora, Scepter d'Isle [this makes a lovely shrub, blooms lots], definitely Carding Mill. I am going to get Heritage next time I am there........saw one at a rock and stone place in Nacogdoches that was huge and covered with blooms - need to find a space for it though. It was new last year, but I like my Darcey Bussell. Ambridge Rose has a lovely scent and beautiful blooms. I had a Benjamin Britton years ago, but it was not in a sunny spot and rarely bloomed but it did act like it wanted to climb. Might try this again in the future. Have fun! And do report on what you bought!

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Judith! You have been a great help. I thought you said golden celebration did well for you, maybe it was someone else who said they had good luck with it blooming. I know for sure the Tess and Abe Darby are coming home with me and I will take your advice and talk to Maria. I wish they carried the crown princess margareta, I drool over it in the DA catalog. She looks lucious :). I will let you know what makes in the back of the truck.

10 years ago

My Golden Cel has languished the last few years, but since I dumped a load of my composted horse manure on it, it is looking much better. I looked at it yesterday - and was pleased. Going to put some Carl Pool BR 61 on it too, as well as alfalfa, Epsom salts and Mills Magic Rose Mix. Our soil is just now starting to warm up so things should start picking up.

A climber you REALLY should get is Crepuscule. Gorgeous peach ice cream blooms, it is fabulous - I do believe it is my very favorite climber. Blooms are small but cover the plant. You wont be sorry you got this one. I also love the color of Pink Don Juan. You probably wont see much bloom at Chamblees, but I bought this one in the fall and have seen them bloom there.

Aloha is another good one. I have an old one that is upright and just blooms all the time. Like it so much I bought another when I was there last week.

Another, that I saw blooming its head off a year ago in Chamblees "back 40" test garden is Pinata - its an old one, but was huge and blooming like mad in the middle of the heat. They don't spray or water anything back there - test the roses to see what does well and boy, did Pinata deliver! I got one last year and its doing well.

Oh and how could I forget Dublin Bay?? It is red - I have 2 of them and they are just wonderful! Reliable bloom, a wonderful climber.

I don't have it but have seen Fourth of July in bloom and it is gorgeous and have heard good things about it.

Jacobs Robe is a pretty thing in bloom but I haven't tried it. If you need a white, Climbing Iceberg is good.

I have Lady Ashe [actually Dixieland Linda] and got this a long time ago. I was just pruning off old dead blooms from last year this morning - strong healthy climber, blooms lots, shiny disease free leaves. I used to grow Seminole Wind, very pretty color, but lost it due to my chickens scratching around the base of it. Plan to replace it one of these days. Am also going to get a Westerland the next time I go [forgot to get that this time around].

Don't limit yourself just to Austins - there are other really good climbers in addition to Austins - I adore Austin roses, just ordered 6 and am getting them in the ground this afternoon! Be forewarned - you are going to be overwhelmed with the choices. Want always overrides need when I go to Chamblees - I just figure, life is short, eat dessert first so I load the truck up........you will have a great time! And do post what you get!!

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Judith! I know there are a ton of choices so that's why I wanted a list of for sure roses I wanted. I will definitely check out the crepuscule. Thanks for all your input, you have been really helpful.