Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of Manure

Posted by andreark 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 0:40

I have used manure when I plant roses, but now I have a large bag left over from planting. I normally fertilize monthly with Dr. Earth 'tea' and on alternating weeks foliar spray with Neptune's Harvest/fish emulsion.

How can I use the leftover aged manure? I don't want to
'overkill". So, how can I use it?

Thanks,

andreark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of Manure

Andrea I top dress my roses every spring. Just spread a couple shovelfuls around each plant. I normally do this in early spring as my roses are leafing out.

o

I just fertilized them last week. Can I use the manure so soon after that?

Thanks for answering,

andreark

o

Yes, use the manure scattered around the plant. It is much milder than the fertilizer and also slow-acting. I often combine the two.

Kate

o

Spread it evenly on top of the rose or any other flower bed. As Kate says, is breaks down slowly.

o

Thanks guys.

By the way, did you see my post about the 'spring flush 08' by someone named pappu? I was just wonderin if anyone knew
how he fed, etc., his roses. I've never seen such a prolific
growth of roses.

andreark

o

Oops, I almost forgot to ask....Does manure sprinkled on top of compost (or whatever) attract dogs? I have one that loves to dig in my rose beds...

andreark

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:02

Don't know about the dogs, but I shovel manure on everything. I mean I shovel it on @.98 cents a bag I can.
The roses get it every spring along with the grass, bulbs, fruit trees etc. I have tons of earth worms. About 3 or so weeks after the manure application I start using granules then follow it up about 3 weeks after that with fish emulsion.

o

Yes, manure, especially if it is not fully composted, can be a problem if dogs roam around in the garden. Many dogs find it irresistible.
Nik

o

I add some composted manure (Black Kow) around my roses throughout the season and I think it's made a huge difference in their overall health and vigor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here