Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

visit to San Gabriel Nsy

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

Walking up the path you can see that roses in bloom are mixed in all over the nursery

Comments (29)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And wisteria, flowering trees, azaleas. It's an Easter basket right now. This is the path leading into the main area

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But on to the roses

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rows and rows of them just starting to bloom with huge flowers formed during the cool weather

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these were beautiful with the rich colored tree leaves behind them

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

happy sunny day yellow

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

minis and another wonderful azalea

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

outside the gate, climbers smiled at people driving by

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

on the way to the purchase desk with goodies

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more to look at on the way to the car

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the wagon train

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They even have roses stuffed next to the stacks of soil ammendments. Well, everybody in So. CA loves Iceberg

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

across the street there are blocks and blocks of these plain greenhouses that supply the magic ( off limits ) Golf carts and tractors go back and forth.

I got a Royal Amethyst and Belinda's Dream and 8 more fuchsias and was very tempted to buy flowering trees but settled for admiring the ones at Descanso instead.

My roses are still growing leaves so it was fun to see these blooming away

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 1:25

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for going on the tour

Sonia Rykiel and Sweet peas

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures. I cannot anticipate spring anymore than I do now! I wish we had such a nursery close by!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

What a wonderful nursery and lucky you to have it near by! It will be quite some time before we have any places with anything like that display - even if I were to drive 200 miles - so I thank you for sharing your photos. I love your comment about it being like an Easter Basket. Exactly!
    It makes waiting for all this snow to melt a bit easier somehow (and also has me dreaming about what I would choose if someone set me down there with one of those little wagons.) ;-)

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting! Wish I had a nursery like that close by :) I do have RU but it's a ways from me! :)

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

I love that place! The selection of roses is better than any other place around for miles. It's worth the drive from the Antelope Valley.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Wonderful tour. Thank you!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I was at a nursery here yesterday and the only things blooming were the orchids inside the store. It's so nice to see so many beautiful blooms and so much green!

• socks
    10 years ago

Great nursery! It was threatened a few years ago somehow with a Walmart to take it's place. There was a protest sheet available for people to sign. Not sure how it all came out, but they are still there! Yay!

It's wonderful to give them your business rather than the big boxes. I have been in there, as a matter of fact bought two minis there last year.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

It would be like dying and going to heaven to have such a marvelous place like this nearby. It would be almost impossible to leave there without a wagon full of goodies. Thank you for sharing.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

What a beautiful place to visit, and a good way to spend the day. Thanks for sharing.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

My only criticism of San Gabriel is that they pot bare roots in very small containers. This saves space and keeps the cost down ($14.95 - $18.95) but there just isn't enough room for the root system. The ones they get later on plus the ones that don't sell are potted or repotted in larger pots which they should use for all their roses in the first place. Also, they look nice now but they have too many to take care of adequately so in a couple more months it begins to look pretty ratty.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

These pictures are so beautiful. Thank you, Kitty. We don`t have anything like that here in Louisville. I could use a trip to a nursery like thisâ¦I fear I have lost most of my roses this winter. Lesley

• brandyalexander23
    10 years ago

Thank you kittymoonbeam for posting these pictures of San Gabriel Nursery, and in particular the rose area. What a huge compliment! I am responsible for ordering and keeping inventory of the roses and bareroot fruit trees, and with one helper(sometimes I feel like I'm his helper) we trim, organize and care for them throughout the year. With about 10,000 roses ordered this year needless to say we have our hands full. Thanks again kitty, you made our day! Feel free to ask for me at the store I'll be glad to help!

• rose_toes
    10 years ago

Thank you Kittymoonbeam for the great photos. My husband and I are moving back to SoCal (we previously lived on Coronado) this summer (after 4 miserable years on the east coast) and I will be very close to this nursery. We will be VERY good customers. And there is another place that imports enormous french planters...they'll get the rest of my life savings. So I do hope they allow dogs...my enormous harlequin Great Dane always accompanies me for garden purchases...if he doesn't nibble the flower when I ask him to sniff the rose, I don't buy it. He has never steered me wrong, although we do have an awful lot of climbers

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can get bare root roses before they are clipped and put into the pulp pots. The nursery publishes a list of what they will get and puts it online. Bare root prices are less money too. They will hold it for you.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    10 years ago

Rose_toes, where to you get your planters?

• rose_toes
    10 years ago

Jasminerose - the place is called Eye of the Day Garden Design Center and their socal location is in Carpinteria...short drive from LA

I know there are other places but I'm not sure what they have is actually French, but still lovely I imagine. I have yet to scout those places. Real or quality imitation, none of it is cheap. Oyvey~