Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Rose Hip Ripening

Ronn Bonites
10 years ago

So it's been three months since I've had this little hip on my Neon Lights and it's still green. I get that some roses have hips that don't turn color but how I do I know when they're ripe for the picking?

Comments (16)

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Rose hips generally take about 100 days to mature.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh ok. Guess I'll have to wait 10 days more. :D

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The general rule for hips to be fully ripe is 90 to 120 days depending on the variety. Your hip does seem to have some slight color on it so it's probably close to being ripe already.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Yes, the hip is beginning to change color a bit and will likely be rather yellow / orange in about three weeks. I have often harvested hips at the stage shown in your photo with the seeds proving to be mature and germinating well, though it doesn't hurt to wait several more weeks for the hips to more fully ripen.

Terrance

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the information everyone. I think I'll just wait a little bit more just to see it change color. This is my first time with rose hips after all. :D

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's completely possible for the hip NOT to change color. That is a function of ripening, just as it is with apples. If the sun isn't hot or brilliant enough to trigger the genes to accomplish the color change they are programmed to accomplish, it isn't changing color until it yellows or turns brown and mushy, then falls off. Around my area, something is guaranteed to EAT it long before then. Kim

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have birds here who eat everything in their sight. (My poor Lavender seedlings...) Hopefully they don't try something funny with the roses. XD

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

In late summer when they start to turn I cover my hips with aluminum foil, not tightly because you don't want them to get damp and rot, but just loosely to deter critters from eating them. It keeps the squirrels away from them around here.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Birds, squirrels, rats...you name it. Rose hip pulp and seeds are STUFFED with vitamins and the vermin know it. Why do you think we have used rose hips for medicinal purposes for centuries? Kim

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That's a great tip for more northern climates. Don't try it where temps are high nor closer to the Equator or you will broil them quickly. Kim

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just harvested the hip today. One of my basil seedlings and the new leaves on one of my rose bushes were taken by birds today so I took it before they can. I got these two seeds from it. It was a small hip after all. :D

So I cold stratify these right? But for how many weeks should I keep them in the fridge?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You can stratify them in the refrigerator for anywhere from a few weeks to many months...IF you want, but they usually don't require it. Neon Lights is a modern rose. Their seeds generally don't require cold stratification to germinate. I have planted many hundreds, perhaps a few thousand, modern rose seeds over the past nearly three decades without stratifying them and germination occurred. There are several methods you can use if you wish. I don't hold them in the refrigerator to induce germination but to delay it. If it is hot where you are now, holding them in the refrigerator until temperatures cool closer to the seventy degree and lower ranges will help them germinate better. Most often, rose seeds don't sprout when temperatures are high (eighties and higher). That isn't written in stone, but is most often the way it works. Good luck! Kim

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look's like I'll be planting these babies by June. Summer's just officially started here according to the news. It's gonna be hot and dry, and I doubt little rose seedlings will want to grow under those conditions.

I have still have some hips here that'll mature by the end of April. I think I'm gonna planting those seeds without cold stratification. Thanks again for the helpful info Kim! :D

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, one more thing. I got some hips from Center Gold that got seeds outside of them. Are these seeds viable?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome! Exogenous seed, those formed outside the hip itself, stand as good a chance of being viable as those inside the hip. Often, it simply means there wasn't enough room inside for them. I'd plant them anyway. You never know what will come up. Good luck with them! Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 13:17

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the helpful information Kim! I can't wait to see my first rose seedlings. :D