Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danyoni

Which of these intensely fragrants are most disease resistant?

danyoni
15 years ago

I have a no-spray garden and am slowly getting rid of the powdery mildew and rust magnets, but I refuse to compromise on fragrance. So, I thought that I'd start with this list of intensely fragrant roses (from a survey that someone did on the Rose Forum a few years back)and ask if anyone knows which of these are the most disease resistant for my climate. Any other fragrant rose suggestions not on this list that are disease resistant here in S. Calif are also welcome!

23x Double Delight (creamy white swirled with strawberry red)

23x Mr. Lincoln (dark red)

15x Fragrant Cloud (coral red)

13x Chrysler Imperial (burgundy red)

13x Gertrude Jekyll (rose pink)

13x Jude the Obscure (honey)

10x Crimson Glory

10x Lemon Spice (patel yellow tinted pale pink)

9x Abraham Darby (Austin, apricot blend)

9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red)

9x Papa Meilland (dark red)

8x Evelyn (Austin, apricot pink blend)

8x Heirloom (dark mauve blend)

8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia)

8x Secret (white tipped pink)

8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink)

8x Sunsprite (bright yellow)

8x Sweet Chariot (purple blend)

8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend)

7x Angel Face (1968, dusky mauve)

7x Melody Parfumee (deep plum fading to clear lavender)

7x The McCartney Rose (ruffled, few petals)

7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink)

6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor)

6x Just Joey (clear apricot) 6x Mirandy

6x Scentimental (white striped with red)

6x Secret Garden Musk Climber

6x Zephirine Drouhin (cerise pink)

Comments (19)

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

Of the ones I have, Rose de Rescht is the most disease resistant in my garden. Jude the Obscure and Sunsprite have also been quite disease resistant. I've never had a problem with Gertrude Jekyll, but I do spray her a few times a summer. Just Joey (which was too tender to keep here) did have some disease problems for me, but may be due to the fact that it was stressed from winter damage.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm guessing that in Los Angeles your disease problem is pretty much limited to Mildew, yes? Traditionally, Blackspot isn't a big problem in your region.

That said, 'Tiffany' is completely bulletproof in my climate; a five star rose.

Paul

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Paul, Rust is also a problem--more so than Mildew away from the immediate coast.

23x Double Delight (creamy white swirled with strawberry red) ok no spray
    23x Mr. Lincoln (dark red) FIREFIGHTER IS FAR SUPERIOR
    15x Fragrant Cloud (coral red) MILDEW
    13x Chrysler Imperial (burgundy red)
    13x Gertrude Jekyll (rose pink) DO YOU KNOW HOW BIG THIS GETS?
    13x Jude the Obscure (honey) ok no spray
    10x Crimson Glory
    10x Lemon Spice (patel yellow tinted pale pink) GOOD NO SPRAY
    9x Abraham Darby (Austin, apricot blend) BAD RUST
    9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red) GOOD NO SPRAY
    9x Papa Meilland (dark red)
    8x Evelyn (Austin, apricot pink blend) RUST
    8x Heirloom (dark mauve blend)
    8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia) ok no spray
    8x Secret (white tipped pink) GOOD no spray
    8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink) TOLERABLE NO SPRAY
    8x Sunsprite (bright yellow) JULIA CHILD IS WAY BETTER!
    8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend) moderate RUST
    7x Angel Face (1968, dusky mauve)
    7x Melody Parfumee (deep plum fading to clear lavender) RUST, fades terribly
    7x The McCartney Rose (ruffled, few petals) not CLEAN, but not much of a problem
    7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink) RUST
    6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor)
    6x Just Joey (clear apricot) ok no spray
    6x Mirandy
    6x Scentimental (white striped with red) CLEAN but poor rebloom
    6x Secret Garden Musk Climber 100% CLEAN
    6x Zephirine Drouhin (cerise pink) DON'T!!! MILDEW DISASTER AND POOR POOR BLOOM

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Your climate is so much different then mine. We get everything except Rust, so can't speak to that. Of the ones you've listed that I've grown, Secret is by far the healthiest for a no spray garden. Chrysler Imperial has trouble with PM here in spring, but does fairly well against B.S. (better then Mr. Lincoln who gets both), Crimson Glory is only average on disease resistance, Rose De Rescht will B.S. if not sprayed fairly regularly here, same with Yves. Angel Face is a notorious blackspotter (lovely rose so that's too bad), Tiffany has no PM but can B.S. (not bad though). Scentimental wasn't a good rose in our climate (opened too quickly)and I don't remember it being overly fragrant. Sunsprite is another fast opener (blows in a day) so I let it go too. You can do better then Mirandy for a red rose. There are some others on your list that I've grown and don't now, but can't remember the disease resistance issue. You might want to add Falling In Love to your list of fragrant disease resistant roses. It's fairly new on the market, and I've grown mine 2 full years now. So far it's proving to be a healthy all around good rose for the vase and the nose.

• cjrosaphile
    15 years ago

A couple of the roses that I would add to your list: Pope John Paul II. Very fragrant and disease resistancy is good for me and I live in an area of humidity and rain. Also, Alec's Red. Vibrant red, nice fragrance, great disease resistancy.

Opinions of the others you have here:

Double Delight - I have had some mildew on this one and black spot.
    8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia) I do have mite issues but not disease issues.
    8x Secret (white tipped pink) Good resistancy
    8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink) Good resistancy
    8x Sunsprite (bright yellow) Horrible for me. Defoliated. Blooms shatter in one day. Don't understand why this is so highly rated. Fragrance didn't compare to the Austins. Was more medium in fragrance for me. I SPed it.
    8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend) Good resistancy, but blooms don't like rain and ball
    6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor) Have seen this one at Heirloom Rose Garden's in St. Paul, Oregon. They are no spray and this rose does well. I've wanted it for a while.
    6x Scentimental (white striped with red) Have had black spot and rust on this one. The smell is not all that fragrant to me. Am thinking about getting rid of it.

Good luck. CJ

• jerijen
    15 years ago

A few insights for SoCal Coastal.
    Beware of very fragrant red roses, as many are plagued by powdery mildew.

10x Crimson Glory -- MILDEWS COASTAL
    9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red) MILDEWS COASTAL
    8x Sweet Chariot (purple blend) NO DISEASE, CAN HAVE PROBLEMS IN ALKALINE CONDITIONS
    7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink) RUST BALLS NEAR THE COAST
    6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor)SETS NEW STANDARDS FOR POWDERY MILDEW
    6x Just Joey (clear apricot) ok no spray DO NOT PRUNE!

Jeri

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I'm a lot drier here in Phoenix, but for what its worth...

Sunsprite struggles constantly
    Mr Lincoln I've had no problems with at all
    Scentimental was mostly problem free, but doesn't like the heat

I plan to add double delight this year. And Pope John Paul is very fragrant as well, though I lost a bareroot last year, and am adding a potted rose to the garden this year.

Ryan

• danyoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thank you everyone. THis is most helpful. A question for Jeri. How coastal is coastal? I'm about 10 miles inland. We get fog for a few months in the summer. Will that qualify me as coastal?

I knew that I should have bought that Pope John Paul when I saw it the other day. I was in Lakewood on business and there was this wonderful nursery -- H&H on Lakewood Blvd. One of the nicest nurseries I've seen in awhile -- VERY healthy plants, beautifully displayed, great selection, decent prices. I wish there was a nursery like that near me. Where do people go in Los Angeles? I can't find a nursery that I like. Armstrong's is OK, but no great shakes.

• organicgardendreams
    15 years ago

danyoni - thanks for asking this question. I'm very interested in the comments of others, because I love fragrant roses, garden only organically, so disease resistance is very important to me and I'm now gardening in your climate zone!

I have grown some of the varieties that you are listing in my old garden (zone 9, CA):
    Gertrude Jekkyl: was a very stingy bloomer, octopus arms
    Abraham Darby: one of the worst rust magnets in the garden
    Sentimental: plant was pretty healthy and had a good re bloom, fragrance was not that strong to my nose

In my new garden (zone 10, CA) I currently grow:
    Rose de Rescht: it's a new band, therefore can not say too much about it, but so far foliage looks pretty healthy and it grows well
    Zepherine Drouhin: very strong fragrance, but a very poor bloomer. The rose is only 1 year old, so I give her one more year, but I was very frustrated with her flower performance so far!

Hope, more people chime in!

• jerijen
    15 years ago

How coastal is coastal? I'm about 10 miles inland.

*** 10 miles inland is a bit too far to be really coastal.
    It's a matter of conditions, though, not mileage.

In my area, few people (until recently) have bothered to install air conditioning.
    It's never been needed.
    The ocean influence generally prevents extreme heat, and extreme cold.
    Temperatures in the 80's are uncommon here, and we whine about that heat.
    Our air flow is ocean-dominated, generally cool and humid.
    Freezing temperatures are rare, and more winters than not, we have no winter chill hours.
    May and June find us enjoying thick fog banks, and we have that well into July.

Does that sound familiar??? :-)

Jeri

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

Check out International Garden Center in El Segundo. I always liked their collection when I lived in the South Bay. There is a good nursery in Marina Del Rey also but I don't remember the name. And then there are Armstrong Garden Centers. Ask them to order for you if they don't have what you are looking for. Have the Manager help you.
    Hopefully some other Angelenos will chime in.

• danyoni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

organicgardendreams -- my Abraham Darby did OK until it died on me late last summer, not sure why. But I have to agree with hoovb about Zepherine Drouhin. Im my garden, next to Souvenir de la Malmaison,it is THE worst in the PM dept. From beg to end of summer, outside of a lovely first flush, it is covered with mildew. And it's so huge that I can't get to all of the leaves with any preventative spray. I had 2 and one bit the dust last year. It was a relief! Now I have to gather up the courage to SP the other one...

Geri - after reading your criteria for coastal conditions I've decided that I am not in a coastal zone. Temperatures in the 80s are very common here in summer and humidity is rare, though I've only had a freeze once in 15 years since I've been gardening. So maybe we're temperate?

Anyone have a suggestion for a pastel colored climber that's fragrant and not disease prone to replace my Zepherine Drouhine?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Anyone have a suggestion for a pastel colored climber that's fragrant and not disease prone to replace my Zepherine Drouhine?

Crepuscule. Fragrance is not powerful but it's about 99% thornless. Similar growth habit to Zepphie.
    {{gwi:234014}}
    {{gwi:234015}}

Or Renae, (the big pink globe on the right) which is also thornless, sweetly fragrant, with superior rust and mildew resistance here:
    {{gwi:234016}}

• lafilmfan
    15 years ago

I guess I have a high tolerance for "disease" because I never spray my roses, and I feel they all look okay. I live in Long Beach, close to the coast, but it's not "coastal" - very hot. If the leaves have rust or mildew on them, I just pull off the leaves and stick an extra rose in the vase. ;-)

I grow Mr. Lincoln and Double Delight and they're both okay but don't last very long. I've tried to grow Fragrant Cloud but the heads are always too heavy for the stems. My new favorite is PopeJP2, but it's still a very short plant and looks funny next to the eight foot high Mr. Lincolns.

Does anyone know any fragrant roses that really last long either on the stem or in the vase?

• westcoastgardener
    15 years ago

I live on the water in a place notorious for rainy winters (and even sometimes summers). My all-time favourite in my garden is Abraham Darby which in five years has not given me one moment's bother.

{{gwi:234017}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Danyoni, you have some nice roses on your list. Good luck with your choices.
    Hoov, another reason I ordered a replacement Francis Dubruiel, everyone seems to love it.
    I must be the only person who doesn't detect fragrance from Sweet Chariot. Maybe I'll need to fall into it to smell it.
    I ordered another Lemon Spice for it's perfume.
    One of my Crepuscule, I really love this monster.
    {{gwi:234018}}

Carla

• jont1
    15 years ago

I grow lots of the roses you list, but I do spray monthly and have no disease problems at all with any of them as long as I have had them and am faithful to the spray schedule.
    Here is what I have found out about these roses when I have been behind spraying for several months like last Fall when I was in hospital all Fall season.

23x Double Delight (creamy white swirled with strawberry red) NO MILDEW OR BS WHEN NOT SPRAYED-GREAT ROSE
    23x Mr. Lincoln (dark red) CAN MILDEW WITHOUT SPRAY
    15x Fragrant Cloud (coral red) CAN MILDEW VERY SLIGHTLY
    13x Chrysler Imperial (burgundy red) FAIRLY RESISTANT
    13x Gertrude Jekyll (rose pink)
    13x Jude the Obscure (honey)
    10x Crimson Glory
    10x Lemon Spice (patel yellow tinted pale pink)
    9x Abraham Darby (Austin, apricot blend)
    9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red)
    9x Papa Meilland (dark red) WILL BS AND MILDEW W/OUT SPRAY
    8x Evelyn (Austin, apricot pink blend)
    8x Heirloom (dark mauve blend) VERY GOOD RESISTANCE FOR ME
    8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia)
    8x Secret (white tipped pink) WILL MILDEW W/OUT SPRAY
    8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink)
    8x Sunsprite (bright yellow) GET JULIA CHILD INSTEAD!!!!
    8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend) GREAT RESISTANCE/GREAT ROSE!
    7x Angel Face (1968, dusky mauve) PM AND BS MAGNET FORGETABOUTIT!!!
    7x Melody Parfumee (deep plum fading to clear lavender) VERY RESISTANT AND HEALTHY. WONDERFUL BLOOM AND FRAGRANCE.
    7x The McCartney Rose (ruffled, few petals) FAIR RESISTANCE
    7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink)
    6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor) BS AND MILDEW
    6x Just Joey (clear apricot) 6x Mirandy GOOD RESISTANCE
    6x Scentimental (white striped with red) VERY GOOD RESISTANCE AND BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANT BLOOMS FOR ME
    6x Secret Garden Musk Climber
    6x Zephirine Drouhin (cerise pink) MILDEW!!!!!!

MIGHT I SUGGEST YOU TRY JULIA CHILD, DAYBREAKER, OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE, AND POPE JOHN PAUL II FOR GREAT GARDEN ROSES?
    I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD BE SORRY....
    JOHN

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

For Hoovb: On your second picture, what's the name of that reddish rose between the pink bush and the yellow bush? Also for your last picture, what are the roses from top to bottom and left to right? They are so gorgeous that I revive the thread. And Hoovb, please let us know how you take care for your roses to get such good blooms. Thanks.