Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizzy123

Colorado Roses

littlelizzy123
10 years ago

Hello all!

I am putting in a new garden gate with a sturdy wood arbor, and am looking for a rose to completely cover said arbor. I would be planting one rose on each side, so they don't have to trail all the way over the other side, if they could just meet in the middle, that would be cool. I am looking for a rose that is...

1. Not white (the arbor is white) I tend to gravitate towards oranges and pinks
2. Large full blooms, not tiny or with 4 petals
3. I am really in between Z4 and Z5. I really need it cold tolerant to about -20, which is rare. The last time it got any colder was 1883 and -32, so I am willing to take the chance.
4. Not a total monster but not a wimp either. I need it to get to the top of the arbor, but not swallow it whole.
5. Few thorns if possible, as I'll be walking under it every day, but definitely not a deal breaker

I realize that here in CO it will a) take a while to grow, and b) may not bloom continuously or more than once. I am planning on interplanting with clematis to keep the color going. The arbor also has other flowers in front, as well as along the fence, so periods of no flowers is ok.

The Extension Office recommended a few, and I wondered what you all thought about these, and if you had any experience with them

Awakening
Benjamin Britten
American Beauty
New Dawn
Seminole Wind
Victorian Memory (Isabella Skinner)
Jasmina
Viking Queen
Alchymist
Abraham Darby

Also, where are your favorite sources for purchasing your roses? Anywhere you would recommend?

Comments (7)