Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorado Roses

Posted by littlelizzy123 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 3:00

Hello all!

I am putting in a new garden gate with a sturdy wood arbor, and am looking for a rose to completely cover said arbor. I would be planting one rose on each side, so they don't have to trail all the way over the other side, if they could just meet in the middle, that would be cool. I am looking for a rose that is...

1. Not white (the arbor is white) I tend to gravitate towards oranges and pinks
2. Large full blooms, not tiny or with 4 petals
3. I am really in between Z4 and Z5. I really need it cold tolerant to about -20, which is rare. The last time it got any colder was 1883 and -32, so I am willing to take the chance.
4. Not a total monster but not a wimp either. I need it to get to the top of the arbor, but not swallow it whole.
5. Few thorns if possible, as I'll be walking under it every day, but definitely not a deal breaker

I realize that here in CO it will a) take a while to grow, and b) may not bloom continuously or more than once. I am planning on interplanting with clematis to keep the color going. The arbor also has other flowers in front, as well as along the fence, so periods of no flowers is ok.

The Extension Office recommended a few, and I wondered what you all thought about these, and if you had any experience with them

Awakening
Benjamin Britten
American Beauty
New Dawn
Seminole Wind
Victorian Memory (Isabella Skinner)
Jasmina
Viking Queen
Alchymist
Abraham Darby

Also, where are your favorite sources for purchasing your roses? Anywhere you would recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorado Roses

Take a look at 'Ramblin' Red', a hardy red climber for z4, it does have thorns but should meet all your other requirements. Another one that I have not grown, but might be worth looking at is 'Rosarium Uetersen'. Also google the Denver Rose Society, they have a lot of nice articles posted on their web site that might be helpful to you.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 15:04

Littlelizzy, there are several rose societies around Colorado listed on the American Rose Society's web site. Maybe you could talk to one of them to see what they would suggest for your conditions. They will probably have grown several of those you list and can give you better advice on what would work best.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 15:05

Littlelizzy, there are several rose societies around Colorado listed on the American Rose Society's web site. Maybe you could talk to one of them to see what they would suggest for your conditions. They will probably have grown several of those you list and can give you better advice on what would work best.

o

I can highly recommend, without reservation, High Country Roses which is located in Denver. They have a very nice selection of cold hardy climbing roses. You might want to call them and ask for recommendations.

o

I'll add my two thumbs up for High Country Roses. Top quality plants, great customer service.

o

I would recommend "John Davis". It's a beautiful pink hardy climbing rose from the Canadian explorer series.

o

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I think I am going to go with Alchymist from High Country. It achieves the height I need, along with being hardy to zone 4. It only blooms once, but those huge apricot blooms look amazing. The clematis and side garden should fill in the gap as well. I've come to realize that thorns are a part of roses, so I'll just have to give those pruners an extra workout! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here