Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Tiny Bright Orange Eggs? under Rose Leaves? PICS

ladyamity
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am usually on the Home Decorating Forum here at GW but I have a Rose problem and found this main Rose Forum and hope someone here can help me.

It's unusual but the last couple weeks have been rather rainy where I live.

I didn't really do my normal morning walk around the gardens to check on things.

Today was really nice for the first time in over a week so I got out my garden tools and decided to spend the day playing in the gardens.

Just around dusk I noticed in the thick center of my Double Delight Rose Tree quite a few yellow leaves.

It's very unusual for this Double Delight to have yellow leaves unless I've left town for a few days and leave someone else to do the watering/caring for my plants.

My first thought was all the rain, the center/thickest part of the tree wasn't drying out completely causing so many leaves to yellow.

Then I decided to thin out that thick part of the tree.

When I clipped the first two leaves I noticed when they dropped in the pail that there were all these bright orange dots, almost fluorescent orange, like insect eggs, on the underside of the leaves.

I stopped clipping and started checking instead.

Sure enough, there were lots and lots of leaves that were covered on the underside with these bright orange eggs.

I put a leaf in a plastic baggy, brought it in next to my computer and after dinner started searching for what these eggs might be from, so that I could treat the tree with the proper spray.

I've searched high and low and maybe I'm not wording my searches correctly because I found every yellow insect egg there is to be known but no bright orange eggs.

Maybe they aren't eggs at all, maybe they are the actual insect?

I am also concerned because I've never had to use anything on my roses in almost 20 years.

The few aphids got sprayed with the hose.

The few grasshoppers got eaten by my dog.

I have hummingbirds, lots of them.

I don't want to treat these eggs (if that's what they are?) with anything that will harm my hummers.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice for me?

I'd truely appreciate it!

Amity

{{gwi:234129}}

{{gwi:234130}}

Comments (14)

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Amity,
    It looks like rust (a fungus spore) to me....anyone else? :0) Phyl

Great info on bugs/diseases of roses:

http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/83roserust.html

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Sorry, Amity! I put in an extra "l" on that web address. It SHOULD be http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/83roserust.htm

(without the extra "l" at the end!)

:0) Phyl

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Amity, it looks like rust to me too. Let us know what you think after you check out the web site. Here's another link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rust on roses

• kayli-gardener
    16 years ago

Lady Bug eggs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bugs

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Not eastern Lady Bug eggs (ours aren't that sharp a shade of orange and they are laid in one or two straight rows that are touching each other and are maybe sixteen eggs total per laying. They are on the undersides of leaves, but there's no discoloration above them.
    I've only seen worse rust infestations (at Hershey PA), but the upper surface and the scatter pattern really make me think rust is more likely.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!
    I was expecting maybe one response by this evening but WOW!

And it looks like the winner is.....

Rust!

It's no wonder I couldn't find it while searching Google, MSN, AOL, ASK, etc.
    I was searching for 'eggs'. lol

Sure could have fooled me...these bright orange things look like what an insect egg should look like, albeit very colorful. lol

As I said in my OP, all these years with a few rose bushes/trees and never a problem, now this rust.
    You'd have thought one of my own human children had a gash or something the way I panicked when seeing these bright orange things! LOL

But from the links, I did some more searching and figure it was all the rain we've had.

All of you....Thank you sooooo much!

Amity

Here's my girl in a healthier state. Dec. 2007
    {{gwi:234131}}

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And another from the back. Is there a back? LOL

{{gwi:234132}}

• jerijen
    16 years ago

If you're ever going to see rust, it will show up on senile foliage at the end of the growing season.
    Remove all them leaves, and put them into the trash.

And of course, if you are going to prune, most of that will go away with what you cut off.\\Jeri

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Yup, it's rust! Take care of it immediately, or it will spread, and your roses will look horrible. It doesn't kill them, but it looks awful. Pick leave, or prune heavily and spray with a fungicide (not daconil).

Kathy

• sue9norcal
    16 years ago

Since we don't have a cold dormant season, I always prune and pull off all the old leaves, cleaning them up off the ground, most of them had rust or blackspot after all these rains. All the new growth is clean.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's a little long in coming but I wanted to stop by and tell all of you, all of you who offered tips, suggestions and your own experiences, Thank you so very much!
    After finding out it was indeed rust, I also found it had infected all 4 rose bushes in the same raised planter.
    I spent the last 5 weeks going out morning and evening, picking yellowed/infected leaves, pruning and finally spraying with a spray especially for rust.
    I am so happy to report, thanks to all of you, I got the problem nipped and my roses are blooming more today than they ever have before...in a little over 20 years I've never had this type of an expolosion on my roses!
    Again, thank you, thank you, thank you all!
    {{gwi:234134}}
    {{gwi:234135}}

{{gwi:234136}}
    {{gwi:234137}}

• bdobs
    16 years ago

RUST!!!

• greenhaven
    16 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous, amity, glad you got it figured out!

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Good for you Amity.
    You have a bountiful Spring!

Jeri

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!