Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtoollie

Rose suggestion for trellis

momtoollie
10 years ago

I'm looking for an easy care climber that will not take over. Young garden, new build. This is the rear of our backyard and although it is the north side, it is so far out that it receives sun most of the day. Photo taken this past fall. Hard to see, but right behind the bench is glauca pendula. The only climber I've previously used is New Dawn; while she was a beauty, she was way too prolific!

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (11)

• cecily
    10 years ago

Wow Gayle, your backyard is gorgeous! Where do you live? Zone 6 Maryland is much different from zone 6 Massachusetts in terms of blackspot.

• momtoollie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi cecily. I'm in Connecticut - so zone 6 or 6a. I am very careful with my roses, never use overhead irrigation. Black spot has not been much of problem so far. But honestly, I really stick with easy roses - knock out etc. Although I have found that they are prone to horrible black spot if foliage gets wet. I would love a repeat bloomer climber, if one exists. Thanks for your kind comment. I'm being very careful with my selections, not as spy as I used to be. LOL. Here is a shot of another portion of my back border. I'm just starting my 3rd gardening year at this property. Very young, not established. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

A red climber would pop nicely on that white trellis.

I'd recommend 'Amadeus'. Blooms and repeats very well. Blooms also last longer on the bush than any rose I know of. Strong vigour, excellent disease resistance and reasonably cane hardy as well.

There are a number of very hardy red climbers such as Quadra, Ramblin' Red and Illusion, but some of these may take over that space in a few years. Amadeus should be more manageable.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Captain Samuel Holland. All the virtues of Knock Out on an 8 ft plant. Very hardy, very disease resistant. It will require some training, but then anything will.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    10 years ago

If you like white and a easy. Rose I recommend an iceburg or the burgundy iceburg its a very deep purple not a great pic but shows the climbing habit

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

Spirit of Freedom from DA! Deeply fabulous, easy to grow, awesome disease resistance, and big ol' 200+ petal flowers!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:234181}}

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

I too have been searching for the perfect climber and so far what gas been suggested to me and what I'm considering is Tess of the Durbevilles DA, Don Juan and crepuscule. I live in Texas zone 8. I will be purchasing something soon, good luck with deciding!

• toolbelt68
    10 years ago

My suggestion is: Zephirine Drouhin. It's thorn-less and just keeps getting better with age. You may want to put some posts behind what you have there just in case it can't handle the weight.
    Zeffy does get blackspot but if it's not a problem where you live give it a look-see.

• onewheeler
    10 years ago

One rose I never want to be without in any of my gardens is Viking Queen. To me she is the perfect rose, she blooms all summer and well into fall. Winter hardy, no disease. I do not spray my roses with anything except in the spring I will spray some dormant oil. I feed them twice a season. She is also beautiful in a vase.

Good luck, you have a great start to a wonderful garden.

Valerie

• momtoollie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all of your recommendations. I researched every single one and there are some great choices. Even though these trellises are well anchored, I'm afraid that in years to come, the weight of most any rose is going to present problems. So - I'm headed over to the clematis forum for suggestions. Really appreciate your advice. Thanks!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

A rose AND a clematis would look wonderful. All you need do is dig 3 holes, sink 3 landscape timbers in with cement and anchor your trellis to those then paint same color as trellis. Any larger trellis should be anchored thusly. Moderate climbing roses are not like wisteria in that they don't destroy the structures they are on so if your trellis is strongly anchored with posts cemented in the ground, you should have no worry. If canes become larger than you want, prune them. I am in Texas, so cant comment on what would be hardy in your area. A red rose would be striking on that trellis, with a lavender Elsa Spath clematis - there are so many clematis varieties.....a large white Candida would look great with a red rose. Do keep in mind that clematis, depending on what variety you choose, will only bloom certain times of the year - a rose will bloom in flushes. Depending on how far your home is from the trellis, you will need something eyecatching - small clematis blooms might not be seen well. With a rose and a clematis, you could double your bloom times. Lovely border.......a large spot of color would really make it pop.
    Judith