Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potassium Silicate foliar spray against fungi?

Posted by nikthegreek 9b/10a E of Athens (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 4:56

Has anybody experimented with the use of potassium silicate (an alkaline foliar spray containing silicon oxide and potassium carbonate) to provide some control of rose leaf fungal diseases? I'm currently experimenting with the use of a potassium silicate product for the control of citrus leaf miner (totally different mode of action supposedly strengthening the epidermal cells, if it works) and I thought to experiment a bit with its use on roses. I'm particularly interested in powdery mildew.
Nik

Here is a link that might be useful: Potassium Silicate for use in crop production

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 4:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potassium Silicate foliar spray against fungi?

See:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg030010308429.html

AND

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1120282813822.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link to first thread above

o

Thanks for the links.
Nik

o

Most of the references I can find discuss root application (hydroponics or soil drenching). I wonder if foliar applications can be effective and if they might have some negative effect by limiting the ability of the leaf to perform its functions.

Will do a little testing and report back although a minimally scientific test will have to wait until next year when I will be able to obtain from the same source multiple copies of a rose known to mildew badly in my garden (Duchesse de Brabant springs to mind).

The concoction I have in hand is very alkaline (pH > 9) even when diluted at the recommended rate and I wonder if this property might just have some effect regardless of the silica content. The same might apply to the potassium carbonate that is bound with the silicon oxide.
Nik

o

This is a research leaf application paper.

http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/35/4/773.full.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here