Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

arch for climbing rose - need ideas

jmzms
16 years ago

I need an arch for my two new Don Juan's. I would like to build it myself (fairly handy that way), but need visual ideas. Anyone have photos of their arch to share? Or a website with lots of ideas?

Thanks,

~Michelle

Comments (13)

• carolfm
    16 years ago

They get pretty big here. I have my two on an arbor. Sank the posts, added trellis to the sides and wooden slats across the top.

{{gwi:221523}}

Carol

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Carol that is fabulous!!! Do you spray your Don Juans??

{{gwi:234463}}

Here is the plans for one that I built. I moved before it was covered over by Renae so sadly, I dont have a finished picture. Ill dig through some old photos to be sure.

Ronda

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

More ideas!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More ideas!!

• madcitymike
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of the arbor I built last year. It's all cedar, with wrought iron panels on the sides.

{{gwi:234454}}

It will support New Dawn on one side, and Antike 89 on the other if they survived the winter.

• jmzms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, that is fabulous. It's close to what I was thinking to begin with.

Ronda, thanks for the link. It's got me thinking that rather than build an arch as an entry to an area, I might build it as the focal point of the area and big enough to accomodate a bench under it. Hmmmm.

Madcitymike, How do you "round" the top out of wood? That one has always perplexed me.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Carol. Your roses are beautiful,especially that one on the trellis. Thats how I built mine a couple years ago,was just sink 2 of the 4x4;s in the ground then nail that trellis stuff on them.

Jean

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

ronda, in your sketch I see the 2x6's on the top...how did you secure them? I'm trying to decide how to do this on my pergola... robert

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

For sheer simplicity, I offer you my "design". My expectation was that it would be totally covered in roses so I didn't worry too much about style. If I had to do it over again, I would make it wider than its current 42". More like 56".

{{gwi:234465}}

In June of year two it was partially covered by my 2 Westerlands.
    {{gwi:234466}}
    By the end of year two it was somewhat reminiscent of Don King's coif.

{{gwi:217736}}

• rjinga
    16 years ago

Ronda,
    I'm wondering about your sketch...is the height of the posts that are closest to the house taller and as such slopes forward going away from the house? makes sense, just wanted to make sure my glasses were not malfunctioning.

also what did you use for the 4 arched corners?

I really like all of these, and thanks so much for starting this thread!!! I'm going to try to build one for my new Greenhouse entry. PERFECT IDEA

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Robert--

I have to look when I get home as mine ended up being a bit more fancy than the sketch.

My projects kind-of evolve as they go along. :o)

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Here are the best pics I could find. I don't actually have one of how I finished the sides.
    {{gwi:234467}}

{{gwi:234468}}

I can tell you one thing...If I had ever seen that pic of Carol's Don Juans that is the rose I would have planted on this arbor!!

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

{{gwi:234469}}

Sorry Michelle, I know you asked about arched...I guess these images for Robert might help if you decide to flat top it.

• jmzms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great ideas. Thanks everyone. One more question...anyone have pics of their climbers in winter? I have a couple of options for placement of the arch, but would like to know what it *really* looks like come winter.