Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Yellow hybrid teas that are winter hardy

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

It looks like most of my 70 plus roses made it through winter okay, which is a relief. One that I am almost certain didn't is Mellow Yellow. I am aware that sometimes yellow roses are tender. Which yellow hybrid teas are the hardiest? Midas Touch has been hardy for me, are there others?

Comments (13)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hey Sara Ann,
    Sorry to hear about Mellow Yellow, but if itâÂÂs one you like, I wouldnâÂÂt give up on it yet. It may surprise you and spring back. My HTs and floribundas all seem to have fared pretty well through our crazy winter, but most had been in the ground a long time (several of my new OGRs arenâÂÂt looking so good, but IâÂÂm remaining hopeful). I did pick up an Eternal Flame on sale late in the season last yearâ¦I think it was in July, but may have been late June. It had been cut back to a tiny thing when I got it and didnâÂÂt grow that much before winter hit. It has made it through the winter with really no die back, so IâÂÂm thinking itâÂÂs pretty hardy. I donâÂÂt bury my grafts since it hasnâÂÂt normally been necessary, but I do mulch well with leaves and pine straw. EF bloomed pretty well for a tiny, young plant. Blooms are much brighter yellow in cooler weather, but are still pretty in the heat and its fragrance is to die for.

Here it is looking very yellow

{{gwi:234491}}

And in a paler mood

{{gwi:234493}}

Here is a terrible picture of it from late September, but shows how small it was...didn't get much bigger before winter

{{gwi:234494}}

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Julia Childe was very hardy and vigorous for me in Z6b Connecticut. It was much better that Sunbright or Sun Flair or any of the other yellow floribundas, I found that over the years most of the yellow HT's were weak and a bad winter could kill or at least severely weaken most of them. Many like New Day or Oregold were hopeless. Gold Medal and some of the Austens like Graham Thomas were quite good but Midas Touch only survived for me but never thrived.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I can recall seeing Golden Fairy Tale recently on this forum and recalled what a lovely rose it is and remembered that it is hardy too.. Pat - Your Eternal Flame is gorgeous. I think either would be a good choice. I have ordered Julia Child and am anxious to see how it does for me. For the location I might need this rose a hybrid tea would work the best.

• Susanne27
    10 years ago

I can't say for sure until the snow goes away but I have Elina and it is supposed to be very healthy and hardy.

Congratulations on the success of all your other roses and I hope you will find a yellow HT that works.

Sue

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Susanne, I have always admired Elina, it is a very pretty rose.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

In years past, Elina was known for being virused. Mine was and I got rid of it many years ago and have not wanted to take a chance on it since.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Henry Fonda is a very pretty HT, he that may be a gamble in zone 6. Sunsprite and Julia Child are beautiful, hardy , floribundas. Julia must be one of the most popular yellows and Sunsprite lives thru my Chicago winters!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Adolf Horstmann is a deep golden yellow that's been around for a long time.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Henry Fonda and Adolf Horstmann are beautiful roses and Sunsprite is already one of my favorites. I ordered Julia Child for this season already.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 21:59

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Berolina is a tough yellow hybrid tea, very disease-resistant. Its blooms aren't quite as big and full and lush as we often associate with hybrid tea blooms, but it has a very attractive if slightly more subdued appearance--and it is also quite cold hardy. The yellow is a bit more "mellow"--not the garish bright yellow some hybrid teas have.

Berolina
    {{gwi:217610}}

Kate

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Look at the Buck roses, many available from Chamblee's, ad also roses bred by the Brownells.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kate and Catsrose - Berolina is lovely, I had noticed it on Palatine's website and given it consideration already. I agree, sometimes I like the more mellow toned yellows too, I'll have to check out the Buck roses and the Brownells too. There have been so many good suggestions. I do appreciate all of you so much, this is so helpful.