Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to move a rose bush

Posted by sillygoosie z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 8:33

Hi all,
We have a big rose bush which we want to move to another part of our yard. What would be the best time to do this ? Also do I need to, in anyway, prepare the soil where I intend to move it. All and any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to move a rose bush

Actually, you can move a rose bush anytime of the year as long as the ground is not frozen, but since it is or about to be spring in your area, move it during the time you would normally prune. I think for that, the normal rule of thumb is when the Forsythia blooms. Aerating the soil is fine, but just be sure to water it in well. Don't add any fertilizer yet. The best time to fertilize is when the new leaves are the size of the first joint on your pinky finger.

o

I'd move it this weekend. Try to get as large a root ball as possible and water well, it should transplant with minimal shock since it isn't actively growing yet. Adding compost/organic matter/mulch is always nice but if you don't have any on hand, move the rose ASAP and top dress with organics later.

o

We did a video on this that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on moving a rose

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 12:41

I once had to move a bunch of roses to a new bed in July in Texas. Figured most would die, but had to do it. The main thing I did was water daily. They thrived and did just great and I believe it was the steady doses of water that was instrumental in their surviving and prospering. I would definitely move your rose as soon as you can, its better when they are dormart or nearly so.
Judith

o

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I had just enough time to prune the rose bush yesterday but will have to wait till this weekend to move it. Hope it won't be too late.

o

It is not too late. You can move a rose at any time, it is just easier to do it now before the soil warms up. I still don't have forsythia close to blooming here (Monmouth County), but some of my plants are starting to leaf out. I didn't do any pruning this past weekend, I won't get a chance to until the end of the month in any case.

o

Instead of moving the root ball, I just try to move the large roots, carefully digging them out of the soil. A plastic plastic shovel avoids damaging them. I just moved a Carefree Delight--instead of moving an 16" root ball, I moved lots of 2 foot roots, for a root system four feet in diameter. Last year I moved a large Rose de Rescht--it didn't miss a beat. The CD is around the practical limit to what I can move--it took three hours to dig it out of the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here