Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Austins do you have?

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 8:49

For those of you who really like Austin roses, I would like to know which varieties you have? Awhile back I started a thread of pictures of your favorites. There were several on there that I fell in love with, just from the pictures - Lady of Shalot, Queen of Sweden, Munstead Wood that I can recall. I really haven't had experience with Austins, but am getting more excited about them. I have Christopher Marlowe, and Darcey Bussell from last season, and they both look really good. I have ordered Molineaux, L.D. Braithwaite and James Galway. I am really hoping I have success with Austins and want to know your experiences and expertise,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Austins do you have?

I have Grace and Queen of Sweden that are established roses. I love Queen of Sweden!!! No thorns, great rebloom, lovely flowers and I love the scent - sort of myrrhy but wonderful.
Grace is quite short, good rebloom - looks great as a short landscape rose - but the individual blooms don't do much for me. Plus I can't detect a fragrance.

Here are some pictures.

o

Here is Queen of Sweden. I love this rose.

o

I also have Abraham Darby. But mine isn't all that great. I always have to support the floppy canes.
Then there, A Shropshire Lad - which probably needs to be in the ground instead of in a big pot. It barely blooms for me.

Here is Abe

o

Here is A Shropshire Lad.

o

I have several that are 7 years old.

Evelyn- she is 6 ft wide and about 8 ft tall. I keep her pruned to 5 ft. I don't like my roses taller than me. :)

Abe Darby
Sharifa Asma
Mary Magdalene
Pat Austin
Christopher Marlowe
The Dark Lady
James Galway
Radio Times
Jude The Obscure
Heritage
Golden Celebration

2 Years old in my garden:
Ambridge Rose
Charles Darwin
The Alnwick Rose
Teasing Georgia
William Shakespeare 2K
Munstead Wood
Young Lycidas

Those who died for some reason
Graham Thomas
Tamora
A Shopshire Lad
Crocus Rose

o

I look for Austin's that are
1. beautiful - easy
2. fragrant - not difficult to find
3. Heat tolerant - the problem

I grow

Golden Celebration - Golden yellow G.C. has a lovely fragrance and bloom

The Prince - deep dark red, fragrant... New to my garden

Carding Mill - Apricot/pink new to my garden this season

Bishop's Castle - medium pink , fragrant... New to my garden

Young Lycidas - deep pink...new to my garden this year

Lynn

o

You've seen my pics of Lady of Shalott and Munstead Wood many times, so I won't repeat them here. But they are my favorites.

My other Austins:

Molineux--3 of them planted together in this pic. Unfortunately, one of them just up and died (for no good reason I can detect). I'm going to see how it looks with just two Moineux side by side this summer. Then I'll decide whether to replace the 3rd one or not (I'm trying to cut back on work by not replacing any rose that leaves on its own accord.) The 3 together do look lovely, however.
3-in-1 Molineux (Austin) with light blue iris and rambling blue clematis, 2012 photo molineuxxx4-16-12.jpg

Queen of Sweden--I have 3 of these. So lovely!
Queen of Sweden (David Austin roses) 2012 photo queen9april2012.jpg

Jubilee Celebration--mine has never been a very strong plant--doesn't get as large and bloomiferous as some others have claimed, but it makes the loveliest blooms with that touch of yellow at the base--so I'm not getting rid of this beauty.

Mortimer Sackler--a tall one!
Mortimer Sackler (David Austin rose) 2012 photo mortimer4-26-12.jpg

Pretty Jessica--a short Austin, but the most fully packed buds in my garden!
Pretty Jessica (Austin)--spring '12 photo jessica2-4-25-12.jpg

Anne Boleyn--another shortie Austin, bud shown in late stage. It "deteriorates" in such a charming way--I almost prefer its late stage blooms--but it is lovely in the early stages also.
Anne Boleyn (David Austin rose) 2012 photo anne4-26-12.jpg

Scepter'd Isle--one of my newer ones. Hopefully it will really take off this year (it's second year). It is lovely.

Wedgewood Climber--one of my newer Austins--growing round a pillar.

Pilgrim Climber--another newer one--hope it goes to town this year--the blooms are gorgeous although my camera is giving them a bit more color than they really have. Much more pastel yellow/white.

William Shakespeare 2000--for some reason, I don't have a real good pic of this beauty. This pic is a bit too pinkish--doesn't show the deeper colors, for some reason.
William Shakespeare 2000 photo wshakespeare.jpg

Mayflower--always the first rose bloomer in the garden, but I'm not sure it made it this year. I transplanted it in the heat of summer, neglected it--and now I'm not yet seeing any new growth on it. : (
Mayflower (Austin), 2012 photo mayflower4-16-12.jpg

If I had space available, I'd plant about a dozen more. Have really been sighing for Austin's new Boscobel, for instance. But--I'm slowly but surely (hopefully) cutting back--not adding to the garden, soooo ........ sigh, I'll just enjoy the beauties I already have.

Kate

o

Here in NC, I have Jude the Obscure, Heritage, Sceptre d'Isle, William Shakespeare 2000, Tamora, Abraham Darby and Sharifa Asma. All planted last year. Sceptre, Jude, Sharifa and Tamora are my favorites so far. Sceptre and Jude are my favorite fragrance-wise. None of these grew huge for me, but it's there first year. Sceptre and Sharifa were especially floriferous, almost always having at least one or two blooms.

This year I've ordered Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas- the pretty yellows. Very excited to see how they do!

I'm thinking of adding Wollerton Old Hall, Pretty Jessica, Lady of Shallot, Lady Emma Hamilton, Mary Magdalene, Glamis Castle, Brother Cadfael, Belle Story, James Galway, Sweet Juliet, and Wollerton Old Hall.

o

Go to it, twinkle--order all those beauties--and be sure and give us pics of them!

If I had room available, I'd get Wollerton Old Hall also--I love the subtle shading of that bloom and it sounds like a very healthy plant also.

Kate

o

lol- Kate, I like your enthusiasm! I just saw that I listed Wollerton twice. Maybe I'll start with that one! It's gorgeous. I haven't seen it listed very often on the forums. Wonder why?

I'll look for photos when I get home! I know I had a few...

o

2 Graham Thomas
Lady of Shallot
Princess Anne
Sceptre
Herritage
Abe Darby
Falstaff

That is all I currently have. Though I hope to add Golden Celebration, Lady Emma, Munstead, etc in the future.

o

canadian rose and Kate - thanks for the lovely pictures, so enjoyable.

I also need roses that can stand the dry heat. Carding Mill was a great rose in that respect. I foolishly discarded it because I thought it didn't fit my cool color scheme, even though it was healthy and bloomed a lot. What a mistake.

Sophy's Rose, Bishop's Castle, Potter and More and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild (although very floppy) are all good roses for me now. Pretty Jessica, Chaucer and Young Lycidas are still too young to comment on. I concentrate mostly on old roses and don't have as many Austins as I used to, and not all like the heat.

o

I had two; Graham Thomas and Mary Rose. They kicked before the deer invasion. Back then I was planting roses where ever I had space. It seemed right at the time, but looking at the space 25 years later, I thought , "you've got to be kidding".

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 21:07

Oh my! What a treat! Such beautiful eye candy. I feel like I am in a candy store and every piece of candy is a must have.

o

There are some gorgeous roses here! I would love to see Munstead Wood and Shakespeare 2000 in person! In fact I'd love to see them all in person. Assuming that I am going to have success with Austins it is not going to be easy to choose from these beauties. Thanks for sharing the pictures and listing your varieties, I'm loving this!

o

I just planted Evelyn and golden celebration and I am super excited, they are my first DA's. I really wanted Abe Darby but the nursery I buy from was out so I chose Evelyn. I really really want a crown princess Margarete because she is so gorgeous in the DA catalog. Does anyone have CPM? And I also think my next Austin's will be carding mill and William Shakespeare. I can't wait for Evelyn and GC to bloom soon!

o

Although Mary Magdalene is a definite favorite of mine, when Pat shows up, no one can touch her. She is magnificent.

o

I personally grow a couple in pots and my mom has quite a few now in her garden. Most are relatively new, and will almost surely not all succeed in the long run, but collectively:

Ambridge Rose x2
Glamis Castle
Abraham Darby x2
The Pilgrim
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - I believe it's Tess. My mom picked up a "Red Austin" from OSH in December when they had bare root Austins with ribbons as Christmas gifts. Someone else here mentioned seeing Tess as the red Austin at a different OSH, so it's just a guess for now.
Darcey Bussell
Evelyn
Wildeve
Crocus Rose
Gertrude Jekyll
Crown Princess Margareta - Unfortunately, I believe it may have crown gall in its 5 gallon container and will hopefully be able to be returned. Lucky I didn't get around to planting it for my mom. It always seemed sort of 'sickly.' I love the blooms of CPM, but in all likelihood the prime spot CPM had been slated will now be filled by Felicia, Nymphenburg, or a more moderate Tea. So I can't really say anything other than it was very briefly enchanting, Boncrow66. If you have the space I would try it. I think it's one of the most beautiful Austin flowers, but I never saw enough of the plant to say whether the shrub's habit is appealing.

My mom is ordering Charlotte soon as a memorial rose, and I will likely add on one or two of The Prince, Munstead Wood, Queen of Sweden, Lady Emma Hamilton, and Boscobel. The latter roses all seem like they could handle container growing fairly well.

Most have exceeded the expectations I set after reading quite a few reviews on here, but of course it's too early to tell. There are many people who have had horrible long term success with Austins in similar conditions, so I wont be quick to judge them.

Hopefully the classics of the 80s that garnered a substantial portion of the criticisms I've encountered are far inferior to the more recent introductions. Though, it's not like they've stopped breeding them in England and suddenly would naturally perform better now here in So Cal or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter. They're sure pretty to me irrespective and I'd rather not be without a few.

Jay

o

Ingrid! I'm glad to hear that now you The Ingenious Mr F is doing well. I hope mine will improve this year after all the clay soil, mulch, etc, I added. How old is yours now?
Beautiful pictures, Kate; thanks for posting them. Has anyone tried Mortimer Sackler in a hot, dry climate? bart

o

Sara-Ann, I hope you enjoy James Galway as much as I do. Give it lots of room as it likes to spread out & strut its stuff.

I also have:
Brother Cadfael
Teasing Georgia
Lady of Megginch
Princess Alexandra of Kent
Port Sunlight

Munstead Wood & Lady of Shalott should be arriving next week.

On my wish list: Queen of Sweden

o

Jay let me know if you end up trying CPM again, I wonder how she does in the heat? I am in SE Tx and our summers can get pretty brutal. I wish I could see everyone's gardens! Kate your pics are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

o

Kate:

Your Austins are so pretty! When you posted a photo on the burgundy roses thread, I didn't realize that was your garden -- how charming -- I just love it!!!

When you plant in groups of three, how far apart do you plant the roses?

Thanks a bunch.

-jannike

o

Thank you, jannike, for the kind words.

When I plant in groups of three, I plant them about 18-20 inches apart. I imagine if the individual bushes were very large or very small, that number might have to be adjusted. I've only done that with Molineux and I followed David Austins direcftions.

Plant them in a triangle if you want them to look like one larger bush. I did it with Molineux because it is somewhat vertical--no real width. With 3-in-1, it acquires the desired width.

Gotta run to an appointment now. Good luck.

Kate

o

bart, I've had Mr. Fairchild since Nov. 2010. I'm amazed how little it's done since then but of course it was transplanted so that might have set it back. I hope it will take off now, but I'm disappointed that the large, beautiful flowers are often facing downward so that I can't enjoy their full beauty. The stems are just so thin compared to the rather large size of the flowers.

Ingrid

o

I have a collection of Austins, and love them.

A few of my favorites:

Sharifa Asma

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Eglantyne

Geoff Hamilton

The Alnwick Rose

The Mayflower

Bishop's Castle

Evelyn

James Galway

Mortimer Sackler

o

Oh, Krista, your pink Austin collection is gorgeous! Love your pics.

Kate

o

I have a few older Austins that have stood the test of time in my very hot climate. I have had to SP others due to heat problems.

Graham Thomas, a climber, a real monster by the end of summer,

Lillian Austin, getting nicer each year, an unbeatable color'

Tamora

Best of all, Symphony. Stays small and loves to bloom, perfect foliage--my favorite so far.

o

Thank you view1ny, I've fallen in love with the pictures of James Galway, love the color and shape of the bloom.. Krista and Kathy, your Austins are all gorgeous! Symphony is so lovely!

o

I love all the photos everyone has posted! I have three Austins that I planted last spring. They are, Brother Cadfael, Heritage and St Cecilia. I was very happy with all of them, but I'd say St Cecilia was my favorite as it bloomed constantly in it's first year. No trouble with disease on any of these shrubs.

On order for this spring is Boscobel, Lady of Shallot and Tranquillity. I am really trying to focus on buying only disease resistant roses. I can't wait to see how my roses do this year!

Terri

o

Krista your Austin's are gorgeous! I can't wait for my Evelyn to bloom. Truly gorgeous pics of everyone's Austin's. I can't wait to add to my Austin's as time goes by.

o

I planted Sister Elizabeth and Jude the Obscure a few weeks ago and I have Tea Clipper which was planted last year :D

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 2:20

I have quite a lot of them. I never really counted them until now, and was surprised to find I have at least 70 of them! I've collected them over the yrs, and many are still tiny own roots, or still whimpy plants. Many are planted along the upper fence that faces West and has the neighbors' tall hedge along the east side of the fence. The sunlight probably isn't enough. Altho several of the plants have grown decent size and even bloomed a bit. But most of them have never bloomed yet. Others are planted in the backyard in what I call the "corrall" beds. They're in a square formation planted along a 2x4 rail bordering the bed. Many of these don't bloom well either. My problem is the red volcanic clay soil and my lack of mulching and amending the soil, as well as fertilizing (or lack of). And lack of time to do it all.... But I'm hoping to make the time to do some amending and mulching and fertilizing this yr. I seriously think I could get better growth and blooms if i just got out and did it. I really think a lot of the DAs need extra feeding to do well.

Here's my list and some photos to follow:

A SHROPSHIRE LAD - only bloomed one time
ABRAHAM DARBY - decent bloomer, beautiful blooms that smell delish
AMBRIDGE ROSE - good bloomer, smells like anise
ANNE BOLEYN - bloomed a few times, not great repeat
BENJAMIN BRITTEN - one of the best, very tall, good bloomer, good repeater
BIBI MAIZOON - bloomed once, not even sure if it's still alive...
CARDING MILL - decent blooms, not great repeat tho
CHARLES AUSTIN - grows as a climber on an arbor, beautiful blooms, maybe one repeat
CHARLES DARWIN - has never bloomed
CHARLOTTE - pretty cupped yellow blooms, not great repeat
CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE - grows very low and
COTTAGE ROSE - decent bloomer for the lack of light I guess
CROWN PRINCESS MARGARETA - bloomed maybe once
CYMBALINE - never bloomed
DOVE - occasionally blooms
ELLEN - newest of my plants, baby own-root still not bloomed yet
EMMANUEL - pretty decent bloomer and repeater, pretty blooms
ENGLISH ELEGANCE - bloomed once
ENGLISH GARDEN - not a great bloomer, but pretty when it does
EVELYN - maybe bloomed once or twice
FISHERMAN'S FRIEND - usually just a handful of blooms in spring
GENTLE HERMIONE - newer one, blooms at least once in spring
GEOFF HAMILTON - not sure if it's ever bloomed...
GERTRUDE JEKYLL - good bloomer, decent repeater, grows about 4+ft
GLAMIS CASTLE - rarely blooms
GOLDEN CELEBRATION - excellent spring flush, intermittent later blooms, climber
GRACE - bloomed maybe one time
GRAHAM THOMAS - decent bloom in spring, sprawls all over
HERITAGE - usually a few blooms in spring
HUNTINGTON ROSE - maybe bloomed once
JANET - pretty good bloom and repeat, blooms hang from weight, but are beautiful
JAYNE AUSTIN - not sure if it's ever bloomed
JUBILEE CELEBRATION - blooms sporatically, but very pretty
JUDE THE OBSCURE - bloomed maybe once
KATHRYN MORELEY - used to bloom nicely, but not in a few yrs... might've died
LD BRAITHWAITE - light blooming in spring
LADY EMMA HAMILTON - bloomed one time
LEANDER - bloomed once or twice
LILAC ROSE - pretty blooms, at least a good spring flush, grows about 5ft tall
LUDLOW CASTLE - not sure it ever bloomed
MARY MAGDALENE - usually gives me a few blooms each spring
MARY ROSE - good bloomer, grows to about 4ft
MOLINEAUX - only bloomed once or twice
OTHELLO - newer one bloomed one time so far
PAT AUSTIN - rarely blooms, still really tiny plant
PEGASUS - never bloomed
PORTMEIRION -bloomed maybe once
PROSPERO - good spring blooms, small plant
QUEEN NEFERTITI - bloomed a few times
QUEEN OF SWEDEN - decent spring bloom, sprawls to about 5ft
RADIO TIMES - blooms occasionally
REDOUTE - I think it died
ST CECELIA - maybe one bloom
SHARIFA ASMA - bloomed once
SOPHY'S ROSE - still small own-root plant, bloomed one time
STRAWBERRY HILL - bloomed a few times
SUMMER SONG - probably my favorite, blooms alot, grows very tall, repeats decently
SWEET JULIET - maybe bloomed once
TAMORA - blooms occasionally
TEA CLIPPER - newer one, has bloomed every spring so far, but no repeat
THE DARK LADY - newer own-root, only bloomed once
THE INGENIOUS MR FAIRCHILD - may have bloomed once
THE PILGRIM - blooms once in awhile
THE PRINCE - good blooms in spring
THE SHEPHERDESS - bloomed one time
THE YEOMAN - never bloomed
TRADESCANT - has decent blooms and so-so reoeat
WILLIAM MORRIS - never bloomed, may be dead...
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000 - good bloomer
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - bloomed once a long time ago
WISE PORTIA - pretty but rarely blooms

CHARLES AUSTIN

ENGLISH GARDENS

JANET

LILAC ROSE

QUEEN OF SWEDEN

SUMMER SONG

o

Gorgeous -- all! I never get tired of looking at pictures of David Austin roses. Here's the first bloom on my brand new Carding Mill.

-jannike

o

Oh no! I went out this morning to water and my new golden celebration has black spot, ugh. I am definitely spraying him. But it looks the others are doing fine. I am constantly in awe in the number of roses everyone seems to have, I am jealous :). And they are so gorgeous.

o

I'll say again, everyone's pictures are gorgeous, they've been a nice bonus on this thread. Wow, Beth I didn't realize you have so many Austins. The ones you have pictured are all beauties!

o

Congratulations on your first bloom, sow-what! May you have many more.

Boncrow--so sorry to hear BS is already making an appearance (not in my garden, I hope). My understanding is that Golden Celebration periodically has that problem--so you may be spraying it often. It is a beautiful rose, however, isn't it.

Kate

o

Beautiful pictures everyone!! Mine are all babies. Though, I have Jude the Obscure, Eglantyne, Munstead Wood, & Lady of Shalott. My fingers are crossed that they will be as happy here in NC as all of the pictures show, above!

o

I've only three varieties left:

Tamora is my favorite. Compact and always blooming.

Tamora - Austin English Rose photo DSC_0007-5_zpsd26312ba.jpg

William Shakespeare 2000 has a great spreading habit while staying under 6':

W. Shakespeare 2000 - Austin English Rose photo DSC_0006-10_zps9409062f.jpg

The Mayflower is compact, with lots of blooms and decent disease resistance. She also blesses me with sucker children from time to time:

The Mayflower - Austin English Rose photo DSCF0020_zpsfc2e324b.jpg

o

Kate I cut off all the offending leaves and sprayed today, he is loaded with blooms and I can't wait to see the blooms. Harry your Tamora is breathtaking, I think I have to add it to my list along with William Shakespeare. My list keeps growing :).

o

Thanks Kate! Your Austins are so lovely, and so is your garden. My new Carding Mill is loaded with blooms, even though it's been potted up in the shady "on hold" area until the arbor in the Garden of Forgotten Dreams is finished.

Here's another new rose, just planted this bare root season. I'm very pleased with Claire Austin. Pretty blooms that seem to glow from within. Thin, flexible canes that are really easy to manipulate (yes, I do like bending plants to my will). The blooms nod when they get full and heavy, but I think that will be very perfect when this one grows tall on its pillar.

o

Harryshoe, Tamora is so beautiful, love the Mayflower too. Sow_what, Claire Austin is very lovely.

o

I have a decent collection. Not huge but decent for my garden. Lady Emma Hamilton, Carding Mill, Princes Alexandra of Kent, Abraham Darby ( on Dr Huey. Will probably get one on Fortuniana rootstock this summer. HUGE difference), Sceptre d'Isle ( on fortuniana. Big, huge beautiful bush), Crocus, Molineaux, Lady of Shallot, The Wedgewood Rose and Munstead Wood. A good spread of color for me.

o

A great thread. We could collectively write the definitive handbook on growing David Austin roses.

Here's my (verbose) contribution:

I am in Northern California in the SF Bay Area. We have cool summers with temperature highs rarely into the 70s (F) and mild winters (light frost for a few days). Powdery mildew is a menace and anthracnose and cercospora trouble the roses that are prone to "spotting". Rust has been a problem on some of my roses the last two years. My garden is no-spray.

Belle Story - grafted. 10+ years. Spring and fall flushes with smattering of blooms in between. Good health but is prone to cercospora spots in summer. It has earned its place in my small suburban garden because of its enchanting and breath-taking blooms. Great fragrance, as well.

Molineux - I have 2. Grafted (10+ years) and own root (4th year) and . Always in bloom. Good health. My workhorses. the grafted rose is 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide. The own-root is 5 X 4 (it was bought as a band and was very slow in growth the first 2 years).

Geoff Hamilton - own root; 5th year. Gorgeous blooms. A once-bloomer for me. I have seen it grown grafted in a warmer summer area where it has 3 big flushes. Will be gone from my garden if the drought in California persists.

Crown Princess Margareta - Mine is own root in its 4th year. Good spring flush and then all she wants to do is throw out long thin thorny canes; I have almost no rebloom from her the rest of the year. I am tired of constantly hacking her back in attempts to control her. A few miles inland, a CPM, grafed and grown as a shrub, is almost constantly in bloom. CPM will be gone from my garden after this spring.

Mary Rose - own root; 4th year. So far, she is staying small. Great fragrance, good rebloom and a healthy plant. A favorite.

Abraham Darby - own root, 4th year. I am trying to grow it as a small climber. It is generous of bloom and has decent health. The blooms leave something to be desired (mine don't always look like the pics on HMF) and rust has shown up on it this past year. I would replace it with a better rose but for its fragrance...

Young Lycidas - grafted, 4th year. Good repeat and blooms are very fragrant. Color is lovely - magenta-purple with a silvery sheen. Foliage is, well, weird. Crinkley and appears diseased but is not. Needs staking as the canes are pencil-thin and can't hold the heavy blooms.

Strawberry Hill - grafted; 3rd year. Fragrant blooms in shades of pink, peach and lilac depending on the weather. Rivals Molineux in generosity of bloom. Nasty, wicked thorns. Ackward when I grew it as a shrub - pencil thin canes with huge trusses of blooms face down in the mud; I now grow it as a small climber and it's a constant chore to keep tying back and controlling the canes. Unfortunately, prone to mildew and rust in my garden. (I hadn't seen rust in my garden before). I am hoping it becomes more disease resistant with age as its foliage when not mildewed or looking like cheetos is absolutely lovely.

The Wedgwood Rose - Grafted; 3rd year. This rose has me completely baffled. I get 4 flushes but each flush has only 3-4 blooms. The size of blooms have ranged from the size of a quarter to 4 inches. Disease-free. Kate - your picture of The Wedgwood Rose gives me hope.

The following were added to my garden March of last year, so they are still new. I am adding my observations on health and bloom this past year. All are grafted.

Princess Anne - lovely shade of magenta-pink. Much admired by visitors. I can't detect a fragrance but most others say it is strong and very pleasant. Good-looking shrub. Canes are covered in thorns but they are not vicious. Stopped blooming after October.

Wollerton Old Hall - lovely blooms. Great fragrance. Bloomed well into December. Is my favorite of the new four. Not low-thorn, as noted in David Austin's catalog.

Lady Emma Hamilton - would grow it for the fragrance alone. Repeat seems to be very good. She has been troubled by cercospora or anthracnose.

Princess Alexandra of Kent - big blooms with a color range of pink and coral. Fragrance is iffy but, when there, it is pleasant. Has been constantly in bloom and is blooming now. Unfortunately, prone to powdery mildew. It's in an east facing bed and I will be moving it to a south-facing one to see if I can keep the PM in check. Also, the blooms have a tendency to ball so I am hoping the south side will help in that regard as well. (I try not to get roses with a high petal could but I guess I wasn't paying attention when I ordered this one.) Mine is already 7 feet wide and 5 feet tall. And, I have 2 - both placed in the front of the garden bed. Sigh.

My favorites - Wollerton Old Hall, Princess Anne, Belle Story, Mary Rose
Workhorses (for continuity of bloom) - Molineux, Strawberry Hill
Top in fragrance - Lady Emma Hamilton, Abraham Darby, Young Lycidas, Wollerton Old Hall (disclaimer: some people have intensely disliked its scent)

Jo

o

Mary Rose from earlier this week

o

One of my workhorses - Strawberry Hill. The picture doesn't show the rust on most of his leaves.

o

And, from my "Top in fragrance" category - Abraham Darby from last week, just before the rains hit. He's telling me why I shouldn't evict him from my garden.

o

Thank you Ken - Appreciate your contributions. I've wondered about the different grafts and how much difference they make with Austins. Jo - Your details about your Austins are interesting and I always enjoy learning which ones are people's favorites.

And thank you Jo for including the gorgeous pictures, all lovely, my favorite is Strawberry Hill.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:00

o

Abe Darby just a few minutes ago after I came by and watered. It probably has three or so dozen buds on it right now.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 4:10

o

For those in SoCal, apparently OSH has some Austins in those gift containers, discounted 20% at the moment.

I know this because my Mom let me know she picked up the following:
Lady of Shallot
Bishop's Castle
Tea Clipper

I've heard good things about LoS. Bishops Castle I'm not really acquainted with, but she sent a photo and it was covered with quite a few buds. It doesn't appear to be a type that gets super big in warm climates. Tea Clipper I hear generally bad things about regarding Octopus Canes and poor rebloom, but that just means more to report on now.

The other varieties available at OSH that she recalled were The Pilgrim, Winchester Cathedral, Graham Thomas, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Gertrude Jekyll.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 2:44

o

I have Grace.
Only bloomed twice last year.
This is year two.
Strong tea fragrance.
It's out front for substance and colour.

o

And Abraham Darby.
I love this rose.
I need a third Austin... Any suggestions?

o

I have Grace.
Only bloomed twice last year.
This is year two.
Strong tea fragrance.
It's out front for substance and colour.

o

Jay, Bishops Castle throws big canes-5-6 footers, but blooms well and smells wonderful.

Anyone have 'Tranquillity'? It looks interesting, only seen the plant and buds but it sure had a lot of them

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 1:08

o

Ordphien I am new to Austin's roses and just planted my first 2, Evelyn and golden celebration they haven't bloomed yet so I can't tell you how I am going to like them yet but if you are wanting a third austin I would choose Tamora, everyone's pictures of this roses are beautiful and it will be my next DA along with Tess of the durbeville. So far on this thread the Tamora had stood out the most for me. Let us know what you choose!

o

Tamora stays small in Riverside, California, a town with a hot, dry climate and moderate winters, where many roses tend to get BIG. The shrub has a nice form, and it seems to bloom continuously, nearly year-round.

-jannike

o

Kippy- Are the canes of BC stiff and upright when it gets taller? Or would it benefit from some level of staking or support to prevent the flowers from weighing down their stems?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

o

Jay, mine have canes that are 1" and thicker. I put at the front of the bed and really wish I had put at the back. That might be a project for another winter for me

from today, these sat on the patio table in the heat today after howling winds last night, not the best example but I love the color combo. Golden Celebration and Crocus Rose

o

Ordphien--I've been thinking about a third Austin for you and have found it--Princess Alexandra of Kent--medium pink with a touch of apricot, nice looking bush, gorgeous full-bodied flowers, and disease-resistant. Can't remember height--maybe around 3-4 ft tall?

Or for a smaller Austin, nothing can beat Munstead Wood--swoon over that dark purple color.

I haven't grown it, but if I had room, I'd order Boscobel in a second--smaller, pink/apricot, wonderful smaller Austin.

Or if you want a contrasting color, Old Wollerton Hall --white with a delicate apricot flush. It would be a much taller Austin. I haven't grown it, but it is another one I'd buy in a second if I had space left for another one.

The Austins I recommend are all good to excellent on disease-resistance, and the ones I haven't actually grown yet have been highly recommended by other posters on this forum.

Kate

o

I thought of munstead woods!
Im stuck with what's available locally. But I'll see what they can order for me. They can order any Austin I believe.
I saw tamora today!
Stunning!
I've only got room for one Austin... it is so sad.
Disease resistance isn't super important in my yard. But powdery mildew can be in spring.
It seems I have some googling to do.

o

Ordphien, what is your general area?

o

Sunset zone 23
15 minutes from Laguna Beach.

o

Sunset zone 23

o

Sunset zone 23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here