Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Which Austins do you have?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

For those of you who really like Austin roses, I would like to know which varieties you have? Awhile back I started a thread of pictures of your favorites. There were several on there that I fell in love with, just from the pictures - Lady of Shalot, Queen of Sweden, Munstead Wood that I can recall. I really haven't had experience with Austins, but am getting more excited about them. I have Christopher Marlowe, and Darcey Bussell from last season, and they both look really good. I have ordered Molineaux, L.D. Braithwaite and James Galway. I am really hoping I have success with Austins and want to know your experiences and expertise,

Comments (79)

• boncrow66
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Krista your Austin's are gorgeous! I can't wait for my Evelyn to bloom. Truly gorgeous pics of everyone's Austin's. I can't wait to add to my Austin's as time goes by.

• Seeingreen
    10 years ago

I planted Sister Elizabeth and Jude the Obscure a few weeks ago and I have Tea Clipper which was planted last year :D

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I have quite a lot of them. I never really counted them until now, and was surprised to find I have at least 70 of them! I've collected them over the yrs, and many are still tiny own roots, or still whimpy plants. Many are planted along the upper fence that faces West and has the neighbors' tall hedge along the east side of the fence. The sunlight probably isn't enough. Altho several of the plants have grown decent size and even bloomed a bit. But most of them have never bloomed yet. Others are planted in the backyard in what I call the "corrall" beds. They're in a square formation planted along a 2x4 rail bordering the bed. Many of these don't bloom well either. My problem is the red volcanic clay soil and my lack of mulching and amending the soil, as well as fertilizing (or lack of). And lack of time to do it all.... But I'm hoping to make the time to do some amending and mulching and fertilizing this yr. I seriously think I could get better growth and blooms if i just got out and did it. I really think a lot of the DAs need extra feeding to do well.

Here's my list and some photos to follow:

A SHROPSHIRE LAD - only bloomed one time
    ABRAHAM DARBY - decent bloomer, beautiful blooms that smell delish
    AMBRIDGE ROSE - good bloomer, smells like anise
    ANNE BOLEYN - bloomed a few times, not great repeat
    BENJAMIN BRITTEN - one of the best, very tall, good bloomer, good repeater
    BIBI MAIZOON - bloomed once, not even sure if it's still alive...
    CARDING MILL - decent blooms, not great repeat tho
    CHARLES AUSTIN - grows as a climber on an arbor, beautiful blooms, maybe one repeat
    CHARLES DARWIN - has never bloomed
    CHARLOTTE - pretty cupped yellow blooms, not great repeat
    CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE - grows very low and
    COTTAGE ROSE - decent bloomer for the lack of light I guess
    CROWN PRINCESS MARGARETA - bloomed maybe once
    CYMBALINE - never bloomed
    DOVE - occasionally blooms
    ELLEN - newest of my plants, baby own-root still not bloomed yet
    EMMANUEL - pretty decent bloomer and repeater, pretty blooms
    ENGLISH ELEGANCE - bloomed once
    ENGLISH GARDEN - not a great bloomer, but pretty when it does
    EVELYN - maybe bloomed once or twice
    FISHERMAN'S FRIEND - usually just a handful of blooms in spring
    GENTLE HERMIONE - newer one, blooms at least once in spring
    GEOFF HAMILTON - not sure if it's ever bloomed...
    GERTRUDE JEKYLL - good bloomer, decent repeater, grows about 4+ft
    GLAMIS CASTLE - rarely blooms
    GOLDEN CELEBRATION - excellent spring flush, intermittent later blooms, climber
    GRACE - bloomed maybe one time
    GRAHAM THOMAS - decent bloom in spring, sprawls all over
    HERITAGE - usually a few blooms in spring
    HUNTINGTON ROSE - maybe bloomed once
    JANET - pretty good bloom and repeat, blooms hang from weight, but are beautiful
    JAYNE AUSTIN - not sure if it's ever bloomed
    JUBILEE CELEBRATION - blooms sporatically, but very pretty
    JUDE THE OBSCURE - bloomed maybe once
    KATHRYN MORELEY - used to bloom nicely, but not in a few yrs... might've died
    LD BRAITHWAITE - light blooming in spring
    LADY EMMA HAMILTON - bloomed one time
    LEANDER - bloomed once or twice
    LILAC ROSE - pretty blooms, at least a good spring flush, grows about 5ft tall
    LUDLOW CASTLE - not sure it ever bloomed
    MARY MAGDALENE - usually gives me a few blooms each spring
    MARY ROSE - good bloomer, grows to about 4ft
    MOLINEAUX - only bloomed once or twice
    OTHELLO - newer one bloomed one time so far
    PAT AUSTIN - rarely blooms, still really tiny plant
    PEGASUS - never bloomed
    PORTMEIRION -bloomed maybe once
    PROSPERO - good spring blooms, small plant
    QUEEN NEFERTITI - bloomed a few times
    QUEEN OF SWEDEN - decent spring bloom, sprawls to about 5ft
    RADIO TIMES - blooms occasionally
    REDOUTE - I think it died
    ST CECELIA - maybe one bloom
    SHARIFA ASMA - bloomed once
    SOPHY'S ROSE - still small own-root plant, bloomed one time
    STRAWBERRY HILL - bloomed a few times
    SUMMER SONG - probably my favorite, blooms alot, grows very tall, repeats decently
    SWEET JULIET - maybe bloomed once
    TAMORA - blooms occasionally
    TEA CLIPPER - newer one, has bloomed every spring so far, but no repeat
    THE DARK LADY - newer own-root, only bloomed once
    THE INGENIOUS MR FAIRCHILD - may have bloomed once
    THE PILGRIM - blooms once in awhile
    THE PRINCE - good blooms in spring
    THE SHEPHERDESS - bloomed one time
    THE YEOMAN - never bloomed
    TRADESCANT - has decent blooms and so-so reoeat
    WILLIAM MORRIS - never bloomed, may be dead...
    WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000 - good bloomer
    WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - bloomed once a long time ago
    WISE PORTIA - pretty but rarely blooms

CHARLES AUSTIN
    {{gwi:234853}}

ENGLISH GARDENS
    {{gwi:234855}}

JANET
    {{gwi:234856}}

LILAC ROSE
    {{gwi:234857}}

QUEEN OF SWEDEN
    {{gwi:234858}}

SUMMER SONG
    {{gwi:229739}}

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    10 years ago

Gorgeous -- all! I never get tired of looking at pictures of David Austin roses. Here's the first bloom on my brand new Carding Mill.

-jannike

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

Oh no! I went out this morning to water and my new golden celebration has black spot, ugh. I am definitely spraying him. But it looks the others are doing fine. I am constantly in awe in the number of roses everyone seems to have, I am jealous :). And they are so gorgeous.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll say again, everyone's pictures are gorgeous, they've been a nice bonus on this thread. Wow, Beth I didn't realize you have so many Austins. The ones you have pictured are all beauties!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your first bloom, sow-what! May you have many more.

Boncrow--so sorry to hear BS is already making an appearance (not in my garden, I hope). My understanding is that Golden Celebration periodically has that problem--so you may be spraying it often. It is a beautiful rose, however, isn't it.

Kate

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone!! Mine are all babies. Though, I have Jude the Obscure, Eglantyne, Munstead Wood, & Lady of Shalott. My fingers are crossed that they will be as happy here in NC as all of the pictures show, above!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I've only three varieties left:

Tamora is my favorite. Compact and always blooming.

{{gwi:234859}}

William Shakespeare 2000 has a great spreading habit while staying under 6':

{{gwi:234860}}

The Mayflower is compact, with lots of blooms and decent disease resistance. She also blesses me with sucker children from time to time:

{{gwi:234861}}

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

Kate I cut off all the offending leaves and sprayed today, he is loaded with blooms and I can't wait to see the blooms. Harry your Tamora is breathtaking, I think I have to add it to my list along with William Shakespeare. My list keeps growing :).

10 years ago

Thanks Kate! Your Austins are so lovely, and so is your garden. My new Carding Mill is loaded with blooms, even though it's been potted up in the shady "on hold" area until the arbor in the Garden of Forgotten Dreams is finished.

Here's another new rose, just planted this bare root season. I'm very pleased with Claire Austin. Pretty blooms that seem to glow from within. Thin, flexible canes that are really easy to manipulate (yes, I do like bending plants to my will). The blooms nod when they get full and heavy, but I think that will be very perfect when this one grows tall on its pillar.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Harryshoe, Tamora is so beautiful, love the Mayflower too. Sow_what, Claire Austin is very lovely.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I have a decent collection. Not huge but decent for my garden. Lady Emma Hamilton, Carding Mill, Princes Alexandra of Kent, Abraham Darby ( on Dr Huey. Will probably get one on Fortuniana rootstock this summer. HUGE difference), Sceptre d'Isle ( on fortuniana. Big, huge beautiful bush), Crocus, Molineaux, Lady of Shallot, The Wedgewood Rose and Munstead Wood. A good spread of color for me.

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

A great thread. We could collectively write the definitive handbook on growing David Austin roses.

Here's my (verbose) contribution:

I am in Northern California in the SF Bay Area. We have cool summers with temperature highs rarely into the 70s (F) and mild winters (light frost for a few days). Powdery mildew is a menace and anthracnose and cercospora trouble the roses that are prone to "spotting". Rust has been a problem on some of my roses the last two years. My garden is no-spray.

Belle Story - grafted. 10+ years. Spring and fall flushes with smattering of blooms in between. Good health but is prone to cercospora spots in summer. It has earned its place in my small suburban garden because of its enchanting and breath-taking blooms. Great fragrance, as well.

Molineux - I have 2. Grafted (10+ years) and own root (4th year) and . Always in bloom. Good health. My workhorses. the grafted rose is 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide. The own-root is 5 X 4 (it was bought as a band and was very slow in growth the first 2 years).

Geoff Hamilton - own root; 5th year. Gorgeous blooms. A once-bloomer for me. I have seen it grown grafted in a warmer summer area where it has 3 big flushes. Will be gone from my garden if the drought in California persists.

Crown Princess Margareta - Mine is own root in its 4th year. Good spring flush and then all she wants to do is throw out long thin thorny canes; I have almost no rebloom from her the rest of the year. I am tired of constantly hacking her back in attempts to control her. A few miles inland, a CPM, grafed and grown as a shrub, is almost constantly in bloom. CPM will be gone from my garden after this spring.

Mary Rose - own root; 4th year. So far, she is staying small. Great fragrance, good rebloom and a healthy plant. A favorite.

Abraham Darby - own root, 4th year. I am trying to grow it as a small climber. It is generous of bloom and has decent health. The blooms leave something to be desired (mine don't always look like the pics on HMF) and rust has shown up on it this past year. I would replace it with a better rose but for its fragrance...

Young Lycidas - grafted, 4th year. Good repeat and blooms are very fragrant. Color is lovely - magenta-purple with a silvery sheen. Foliage is, well, weird. Crinkley and appears diseased but is not. Needs staking as the canes are pencil-thin and can't hold the heavy blooms.

Strawberry Hill - grafted; 3rd year. Fragrant blooms in shades of pink, peach and lilac depending on the weather. Rivals Molineux in generosity of bloom. Nasty, wicked thorns. Ackward when I grew it as a shrub - pencil thin canes with huge trusses of blooms face down in the mud; I now grow it as a small climber and it's a constant chore to keep tying back and controlling the canes. Unfortunately, prone to mildew and rust in my garden. (I hadn't seen rust in my garden before). I am hoping it becomes more disease resistant with age as its foliage when not mildewed or looking like cheetos is absolutely lovely.

The Wedgwood Rose - Grafted; 3rd year. This rose has me completely baffled. I get 4 flushes but each flush has only 3-4 blooms. The size of blooms have ranged from the size of a quarter to 4 inches. Disease-free. Kate - your picture of The Wedgwood Rose gives me hope.

The following were added to my garden March of last year, so they are still new. I am adding my observations on health and bloom this past year. All are grafted.

Princess Anne - lovely shade of magenta-pink. Much admired by visitors. I can't detect a fragrance but most others say it is strong and very pleasant. Good-looking shrub. Canes are covered in thorns but they are not vicious. Stopped blooming after October.

Wollerton Old Hall - lovely blooms. Great fragrance. Bloomed well into December. Is my favorite of the new four. Not low-thorn, as noted in David Austin's catalog.

Lady Emma Hamilton - would grow it for the fragrance alone. Repeat seems to be very good. She has been troubled by cercospora or anthracnose.

Princess Alexandra of Kent - big blooms with a color range of pink and coral. Fragrance is iffy but, when there, it is pleasant. Has been constantly in bloom and is blooming now. Unfortunately, prone to powdery mildew. It's in an east facing bed and I will be moving it to a south-facing one to see if I can keep the PM in check. Also, the blooms have a tendency to ball so I am hoping the south side will help in that regard as well. (I try not to get roses with a high petal could but I guess I wasn't paying attention when I ordered this one.) Mine is already 7 feet wide and 5 feet tall. And, I have 2 - both placed in the front of the garden bed. Sigh.

My favorites - Wollerton Old Hall, Princess Anne, Belle Story, Mary Rose
    Workhorses (for continuity of bloom) - Molineux, Strawberry Hill
    Top in fragrance - Lady Emma Hamilton, Abraham Darby, Young Lycidas, Wollerton Old Hall (disclaimer: some people have intensely disliked its scent)

Jo

10 years ago

Mary Rose from earlier this week

10 years ago

One of my workhorses - Strawberry Hill. The picture doesn't show the rust on most of his leaves.

10 years ago

And, from my "Top in fragrance" category - Abraham Darby from last week, just before the rains hit. He's telling me why I shouldn't evict him from my garden.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ken - Appreciate your contributions. I've wondered about the different grafts and how much difference they make with Austins. Jo - Your details about your Austins are interesting and I always enjoy learning which ones are people's favorites.

And thank you Jo for including the gorgeous pictures, all lovely, my favorite is Strawberry Hill.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:00

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Abe Darby just a few minutes ago after I came by and watered. It probably has three or so dozen buds on it right now.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 4:10

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

For those in SoCal, apparently OSH has some Austins in those gift containers, discounted 20% at the moment.

I know this because my Mom let me know she picked up the following:
    Lady of Shallot
    Bishop's Castle
    Tea Clipper

I've heard good things about LoS. Bishops Castle I'm not really acquainted with, but she sent a photo and it was covered with quite a few buds. It doesn't appear to be a type that gets super big in warm climates. Tea Clipper I hear generally bad things about regarding Octopus Canes and poor rebloom, but that just means more to report on now.

The other varieties available at OSH that she recalled were The Pilgrim, Winchester Cathedral, Graham Thomas, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Gertrude Jekyll.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 2:44

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I have Grace.
    Only bloomed twice last year.
    This is year two.
    Strong tea fragrance.
    It's out front for substance and colour.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

And Abraham Darby.
    I love this rose.
    I need a third Austin... Any suggestions?

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I have Grace.
    Only bloomed twice last year.
    This is year two.
    Strong tea fragrance.
    It's out front for substance and colour.

{{gwi:234820}}

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jay, Bishops Castle throws big canes-5-6 footers, but blooms well and smells wonderful.

Anyone have 'Tranquillity'? It looks interesting, only seen the plant and buds but it sure had a lot of them

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 1:08

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

Ordphien I am new to Austin's roses and just planted my first 2, Evelyn and golden celebration they haven't bloomed yet so I can't tell you how I am going to like them yet but if you are wanting a third austin I would choose Tamora, everyone's pictures of this roses are beautiful and it will be my next DA along with Tess of the durbeville. So far on this thread the Tamora had stood out the most for me. Let us know what you choose!

10 years ago

Tamora stays small in Riverside, California, a town with a hot, dry climate and moderate winters, where many roses tend to get BIG. The shrub has a nice form, and it seems to bloom continuously, nearly year-round.

-jannike

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Kippy- Are the canes of BC stiff and upright when it gets taller? Or would it benefit from some level of staking or support to prevent the flowers from weighing down their stems?

Thanks for any help.

Jay

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Jay, mine have canes that are 1" and thicker. I put at the front of the bed and really wish I had put at the back. That might be a project for another winter for me

from today, these sat on the patio table in the heat today after howling winds last night, not the best example but I love the color combo. Golden Celebration and Crocus Rose

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Ordphien--I've been thinking about a third Austin for you and have found it--Princess Alexandra of Kent--medium pink with a touch of apricot, nice looking bush, gorgeous full-bodied flowers, and disease-resistant. Can't remember height--maybe around 3-4 ft tall?

Or for a smaller Austin, nothing can beat Munstead Wood--swoon over that dark purple color.

I haven't grown it, but if I had room, I'd order Boscobel in a second--smaller, pink/apricot, wonderful smaller Austin.

Or if you want a contrasting color, Old Wollerton Hall --white with a delicate apricot flush. It would be a much taller Austin. I haven't grown it, but it is another one I'd buy in a second if I had space left for another one.

The Austins I recommend are all good to excellent on disease-resistance, and the ones I haven't actually grown yet have been highly recommended by other posters on this forum.

Kate

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I thought of munstead woods!
    Im stuck with what's available locally. But I'll see what they can order for me. They can order any Austin I believe.
    I saw tamora today!
    Stunning!
    I've only got room for one Austin... it is so sad.
    Disease resistance isn't super important in my yard. But powdery mildew can be in spring.
    It seems I have some googling to do.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Ordphien, what is your general area?

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Sunset zone 23
    15 minutes from Laguna Beach.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Sunset zone 23

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Sunset zone 23

• echearne
    9 years ago

Alnwick

• echearne
    9 years ago

William Shakespeare 2000

• echearne
    9 years ago

Alnwick

• echearne
    9 years ago

Munstead wood

• echearne
    9 years ago

Boscobel with rosarium uteresen

• echearne
    9 years ago

Emma Hamilton

• echearne
    9 years ago

St Cecilia, Abe Darby and Alnwick

• echearne
    9 years ago

Princess Alexandra of Kent

• echearne
    9 years ago

Royal jubilee

• echearne
    9 years ago

St Cecilia

• echearne
    9 years ago

Spirit of freedom

• echearne
    9 years ago

Pat Austin

• Adrianne
    9 years ago

Echearne,

Beautiful roses! Wondering about your St.Cecilia...had my eye on her for a long time, but don't see much about her. What is your zone? And can you comment on her in terms of health, etc?

Thanks! Adrianne

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Lots of lovely pictures! I will dig through my files at home and see what I've got, although I'm really bad at taking pictures.

I have (roses* are new or first year roses so I don't know much about them yet):

Munstead Wood*

Fighting Temeraire*

Lady Emma Hamilton*

Summer Song*

Carolyn Knight

Jude the Obscure

Golden Celebration

Graham Thomas

Charlotte

Possibly Pilgrim? (It was unlabelled - it grows like it's an Austin and the huge blooms look like Pilgrim)

Wildeve

Eglantyne

Sharifa Asma*

The Mayflower

14, which is more than I expected actually. Mostly orange and yellow which is predictable I suppose, as those are the colours least represented in old roses.

Mayflower is an early and late bloomer for me too, and has remained small (it's 4 or 5 years old?). All the Austin yellows I have tend to blackspot, (apart from maybe Pilgrim, that stays titchy, but clean) so why I bought Golden Celebration I'm not sure - Although I've heard it's not as bad as some. I am actually hoping that the Austins will be like most of my other roses and stop blackspotting so much as they become mature plants.

Carolyn Knight is coming up on her third summer for me and has been a small, healthy, floriferous plant for me. It was an impulse garden showstand dismantling purchase. Don't really like the scent, but I hear a lot of people do - I find it a bit bitter.

I gather Summer Song did very, very badly for a lot of people in the US, I think the phrase 'grew backwards' was used more than once (so much so that it was withdrawn from sale!) but it's not got so bad a reputation here, and Carolyn Knight, it's sport has been good, and where it is it can stay small if it wants, AND I really wanted that colour in it's spot, so I took a chance on it. The bareroot had very solid chunky canes, and big roots, so fingers crossed.

I'd heard a lot of good about Sharifa Asma from forum members, not so much about it in the UK, so I took a punt on it. It's planted near Wildeve, which is a very graceful plant although it didn't bloom much last year - I think it was concentrating on size. Hopefully they match well.

Munstead Wood I'm hoping has the deep purple red colour that it so often has in pictures, it's possibly my favourite rose colour. That's it really, not thinking of buying any more Austins, as my garden is getting pretty full - I have room for more reds, and more titchy roses, but I don't like the habit and colour of most of the Austin reds that I've seen as mature shrubs, and the range doesn't really seem to include really small roses. Of course, who knows what Chelsea will bring?

• lollapalloo
    9 years ago

We, new at rose gardening, have just planted Abe Darby, Golden Celebration, Shakespeare 2000, and Jude the Obscure. Thanks to all of you we dare this exciting undertaking!

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

All of your pictures are making me regret not ordering any Austins this year, when I make my trip to collect my order I just may have to let one in my van. I have about 10 Austins, I think I just didn't order this year as I'm tiring of the black spot war here. This one's my absolute favorite, Teaclipper. She can be stingy with the blooms at times, but I just love her.